• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NOS Speedster horn

The third horn is rare, but this one is NOS:

JDP/Maryland
    JDP Maryland

Now that'll go on up there. I'll say $500 or more.

While at the GA meet last month, some friends of mine brought their Lemon/Lime '55. I found them the Trumpet horn for their car, and asked to hear it. 'Sounds like a freight train coming at ya, but instead, it's a very colorful '55 Speedster.

Matthew Burnette
    Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Matt, I heard those horns at the Tulsa meet. went something like this:
      Judge; "Turn on the lights, ok high beam,
      Now the turn singals right left OK
      Blow the horn"
      Now that's when the judge almost left his socks in his shoes, cause his feet was moving faster than his shoes.

Ebon...

Comment

I'll say $200.00.

JDP/Maryland
        JDP Maryland

Comment

It looks alot like the trumpet horn cadillac used in the 60's except they were 12 volt.
          59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
          60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
          61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
          62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
          62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
          62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
          63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
          63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
          64 Zip Van
          66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
          66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

I once had a '55 Prez HT. It looked a lot like this one....

Never really paid much attention to the horn sound (was always in the car when I honked it )

One nite I began to hear something dragging in front. Got out but couldn't see anything so continued with the noise a few more blocks to my home. As you might have imagined, in the morning, I found that the 3rd horn had come unbolted from the car and was hanging on by the wire. Bolted it back and had no more probs.

But, as I recall thru the mists of time, it was black (and pretty dirty!) not chrome like the one on ebay. And it bolted on facing toward the passenger side, not straight ahead. Of course the PO, not the factory nor dealer, may have installed it and pointed it that way.

John

Comment

John,

I'm not so sure this one's chromed. I think it's just shiny black. I have one of these that's used and it was originally painted black. Mine also has the special mount that affixes this thing to two of the bolts that mount the wing in the mouth of the grille!

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe
              1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

As I recall, mine didn't mount in the mouth of the grille, but rather kinda on the back side of the lower air scoop. So it was protected from road filth, to some extent. I had never seen one on a Studebaker prior nor since. Was '55 the only year?

John

Comment

Check the parts book, I seem to recall our, new, '55 President with the ulta vista windshield had three horns. Again check the parts book for authentication

Comment

My Transtar has a trumpet horn (also one of 3 installed) , although I doubt it is original. [}]

<h5>Mark
                    '57 Transtar Deluxe
                    Vancouver Island
                    </h5>
                    Mark Hayden
                    '66 Commander

Comment

Hey Ebon, I can't guess who that might have been at the Tulsa meet. But Larry Tholen DID ask to hear the horn. I hope it lasts a long time because I am running it on 12 volts which might make it even louder.

Comment

Mine was mounted behind the lower edge of the air dam, pointed toward the passenger side. Wrap around windshield President Long Wheel Base sedan. I hope it works when I put it back together.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Bothcars4.jpg[/img=left]
                        Tom Bredehoft
                        '53 Commander Coupe
                        '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
                        (Under Construction) 203 hrs.
                        '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
                        All Indiana built cars

Comment

quote:Originally posted by mbstude

Now that'll go on up there. I'll say $500 or more.
                          Close, but no cigar Matthew.

Good grief!! This horn went for $411[:0] The same seller also had a used roll up antenna that went for $152.

I should have stayed with orphaned computers for a hobby!!

JPD, next time you see either of these items on eBay again, please don't tell a soul. That's about the only way I might be able to afford picking one of these things up - if nobody knows they're there to bid on.

On the bright side, I've found a DG250M for the Speedster along with a 259 that's probably more complete than the one I have now.

the irony of it?? The tranny and engine are from the same seller as the horn and antenna.

Paul

In memory of Boris, the 1950 Land Cruiser project,
                          . . . he became a down payment for. . .
                          Natasha, the 1955 Speedster project

I finally have a Stude I can drive! (sort of)
                          1962 GT Hawk, 4 speed, a/c

Comment

Keeping it a secret would only help if it was forum members bidding the big bucks.

JDP/Maryland
                            JDP Maryland

Comment

I'm gonna hafta "restore" the one I've got! Imagine what it must be worth with the proper attaching bracket![:0]

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                              1960 Larkvertible V8
                              1958 Provincial wagon
                              1953 Commander coupe
                              1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
                              X