Front glass on a Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front glass on a Hawk

I cleaned my windshield yesterday with some very fine steel wool and saw for the first time these stress cracks in the windshield. They are small lines horizontal and very annoying. My question is are these too deep and cannot be buffed out or can they? I have a parts car with a great windshield in it. If I remove this windshield do run the risk of creating these cracks in that windshield?also who has new ones and how much I'm I looking at?

Studebakers forever!
    Studebakers forever!

There has been some past discussion here.

Once said, if you can feel it with your fingernail, you can't do it.

Recommendations have included Bon-Ami and products for that purpose from Eastwood.

New windshields are available from Phillips, SI and probably others. Prices are $285-$295 plus shipping.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

A little terminology problem. You talk about scratches, and then cracks. If they're truly stress cracks, no they're not going to polish out. A crack is a break in one layer of the glass. I don't think this is what you're talking about. Scratches, maybe. I don't think what you're seeing was caused by changing the windshield. Hopefully you used 0000 steel wool.

So what scratched it? Here's a thought. Ever see what people use service station squeegees for? I'm amazed at what I see. People sometimes clean their whole car with them[:0] Not all that dirt just rinses out of the scrubber side. You would never wash your car with a dirty rag. But how clean is that squeegee? Windshield glass is very soft. Scratches can come from anywhere. Fine scratches can be difficult to take out. Polish long enough and you can get distortion because you actually remove enough material to cause optical distortion. Annoying if it's right in front of you in your line of driving sight. Off to the side, you live with it.

KURTRUK
      (read it backwards)
      KURTRUK
      (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

If you opt for a new windshield, make sure you buy a newly made one.

I made the mistake of buying an orignal NOS Studebaker windshield for my Hawk. Within three years it has small little marks in it from normal driving.

Newly manufactured glass is much more resistant to road debris. (spelling)

Comment

Working...
        X