Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help - Quick Steering Arms Won't Align

Greetings All -

I'm assemblying the front end of my 55C, everything all nicely painted black. I've installed a set of quick steering arms. Now when I try to install the tie rods, which connect the arms to the steering bellcrank, the tie rods are too long, no matter how I adjust them. I'm at a loss.

Has anybody run into this? What's the answer?

Since you are lessining the angle from the bell crank to the arms...that would be correct. You'll need to buy the shorter (Avanti) tie rods...or...modify yours.

First determin how much needs to be removed. Do this by just setting the tie rod on top of the arm, the connected tie rod end should be screwed in as far as possible...then measure the difference.
    You'll need to keep at least .500" worth of threads (.63" would be better) left in the ends of the tie rod arm. In the case that you cannot remove enough material without violating the .500" thread...you'll need to make up a set of arms.

Cutting and welding works fine if done right.
    Just remember to use a piece of tube or rod INSIDE (about two or three inches long) of the tie rod arm at the cut for strength after welding.
    Drill two .13" holes to weld the inside piece to the outside tube (both ends)...along with the regular weld around the cut.
    Only this method will return the strength to the tube as before it was cut.

I WOULD...do this to a "second" set of tie rod arms...so you keep your original arms handy if you don't like the quick steering setup.

Have fun

Mike

Comment

Thanks Mike, all good advice. So I wonder why the vendors don't tell you that you also need to buy the Avanti ends. May have to have a word with Mr. Reynolds.

Actually, with everything crunched down tight it's just about right. I think I'd like to have another 1/4 inch - not much. I think I'll trim the ends of the rods and ends - should have plenty of thread left.

Thanks for responding. Glad to know it wasn't just me and my car.

Frank Starr
      Seattle

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Frank Starr

Greetings All -

I'm assemblying the front end of my 55C, everything all nicely painted black. I've installed a set of quick steering arms. Now when I try to install the tie rods, which connect the arms to the steering bellcrank, the tie rods are too long, no matter how I adjust them. I'm at a loss.

Has anybody run into this? What's the answer?
        Someone on the General Discussion page is having the same problem?!?

Paul
        Paul
        Winston-Salem, NC
        Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
        Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

I have short arms on mine and have no problem adjusting them. If you need to shorten tie rod it can be tapped to 5/8" after cutting and jointed with all thread and welded.
          Terry

Comment

Not a good idea to use "all-thread"...!

There is two grades of all-thread available.
            1. The material you buy in the big box stores (OSH, Home Depot, et-al).
            This is "JUNK"...as far as the steering in your car goes.

2. A good material that is roughly grade 8 from material stores.
            This is good material and is expensive.
            BUT........as SOON...as you hit it with ANY type of welding torch (TIG, MIG) you've just turned the heat effected area...into nearly the same stuff you buy at the local corner store!

This is NOT a recomended material for ANY part of any steering linkage on a car that runs down the road.

Mike

Comment

Mike,
              What I suggest is no different than what you stated, except you you use a sleeve. I use all thread as it gives a backup if the weld breaks.
              I use 4140 b-7(125000 tensile strength) rod as the the regular seems to be all over the board in strength. Tie rod can easily be thread to 5/8 with just a tap(no drilling). You could just clamp instead of weld and it would hold. When I weld it I try to stay out of the all thread but if you touch it it not going to weaken the whole rod. I have a draglink on my 6000lb power wagon I shorten with cheap 3/4" all thread
              9 years ago. I used it as a sleeve as it thread in with my hand(no threads cut in drag link) This was welded and then two set screw weld in on each end in case weld broke.(photo below) I also have a similar adjustable draglink on my 56J. No problem with either. Myself I would not trust a weld alone with a sleeve thats why I use all thread. What do you use for a sleeve? Incidently many steering components I believe are mild steel.
              Terry

Comment

Working...
              X