Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you check for unwanted battery drain ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you check for unwanted battery drain ??

I have a new battery in the car but the battery is being drained by something. How do I find the something ?? Test how ??

BRAD

A ammeter in series between the positive battery post and the cable. You may have to use the milliamp scale. Start unhooking circuits to find the draw. (I'd start with the voltage regulator, generator/alternator)

JDP/Maryland
    JDP Maryland

Comment

Need it made a little simpler.....A ammeter in series ??...thanks..BRAD
      quote:Originally posted by JDP

A ammeter in series between the positive battery post and the cable. You may have to use the milliamp scale. Start unhooking circuits to find the draw. (I'd start with the voltage regulator, generator/alternator)

JDP/Maryland

Comment

OK. Remove the positive battery cable, hook one meter lead to the battery post, and the other to the positive battery cable. (Make sure everything is turned off) More detailed info here:

JDP/Maryland
        JDP Maryland

Comment

Thanks again for helping out. I thought I understood your instructions. I bookmarked the site and printed the tips for drains...BRAD
          quote:Originally posted by JDP

OK. Remove the positive battery cable, hook one meter lead to the battery post, and the other to the positive battery cable. (Make sure everything is turned off) More detailed info here:

JDP/Maryland

Comment

I found the drain at the little wire from the big post that goes to the middle of three tiny slide on posts on the alternator. I unattached the little wire and the drain stops however my voltmeter on the dash does not work now.
            Maybe I am on the wrong slide on post on the alternator. HELP
            I used a test light between the positive battery cable and the pos. post and the light went on and then off when I removed the little wire at the alternator. Evidently no other drains going on.
            I used a meter too.
            BRAD

ONE wire alternator.....

Comment

Working...
            X