This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• air conditioning pully

I have a 62 hawk with power steering which means I have two pullies. I am going to add air from vintage air, do I need to add a third pully?
    Thanks, Jon

Ayup. I don't know if Vintage Air sells the pulley or not, but you've got two options. You could track down a factory Stude crank pulley for A/C which is hard to find and probably not cheap. Alternately I have heard of people adding a second power steering pulley; the only difference is that the groove is a little narrower and therefore the wider A/C belt will ride a little high in it. You'll also need another aluminum spacer, but that is a standard part.

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Ayup. I don't know if Vintage Air sells the pulley or not, but you've got two options. You could track down a factory Stude crank pulley for A/C which is hard to find and probably not cheap. Alternately I have heard of people adding a second power steering pulley; the only difference is that the groove is a little narrower and therefore the wider A/C belt will ride a little high in it. You'll also need another aluminum spacer, but that is a standard part.

nate

--
      55 Commander Starlight
      --
      55 Commander Starlight
      http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Mine has factory air and I don't know how close the dimensions for the compressor bracket will be to the OEM bracket, but if it's similar and you use a York compressor, you may have to get a double compressor pully and use the outside groove. If I had to replace my compressor or was unable to use the existing pully, that's what I would have to do. I know this because I must have a dozen different compressors, pulleys and clutches I've fiddled with out of curiosity.

Comment

Mine has factory air and I don't know how close the dimensions for the compressor bracket will be to the OEM bracket, but if it's similar and you use a York compressor, you may have to get a double compressor pully and use the outside groove. If I had to replace my compressor or was unable to use the existing pully, that's what I would have to do. I know this because I must have a dozen different compressors, pulleys and clutches I've fiddled with out of curiosity.

Comment

My '63 Daytona Wagon has a triple pulley at the balancer (bottom) and a double pulley at the (WARDS) aftermarket compressor. It then runs the compressor, alternator, and an idler off those two belts. One belt is idler, balancer, compressor and the other is compressor, alternator, balancer, waterpump. I don't know if this is right. The car isn't currently running. Hasn't been for thirty years that I know of.

Lotsa Larks!
            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
            Ron Smith
            Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
            Ron Smith
            Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

My '63 Daytona Wagon has a triple pulley at the balancer (bottom) and a double pulley at the (WARDS) aftermarket compressor. It then runs the compressor, alternator, and an idler off those two belts. One belt is idler, balancer, compressor and the other is compressor, alternator, balancer, waterpump. I don't know if this is right. The car isn't currently running. Hasn't been for thirty years that I know of.

Lotsa Larks!
              Ron Smith
              Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
              Ron Smith
              Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

I always think of something as soon as I post the message. The stock setup also uses double pulleys on the waterpump/fan blade shaft. That will probably be even tougher to find than a crankshaft pulley. I can't be sure without actually looking, but wonder if there is adequate clearance for the belt to run directly off the crank to the compressor. I can't be sure right now. I know I put an extra pulley on my '51. I used another fan belt/generator pully and bored holes and bolted it to the existing one. That way I didn't have to go looking for double pullies and the longer crankshaft bolt. However, that pulley is narrow enough that the belt may slip excessively when under a heavy load. If so, chances are it won't be at high speeds but instead putting around town. Of that I'm speaking from experience. With the 9 cubic inch York compressor, it'll draw 3.5-4 horsepower. By comparison, it takes one horsepower for an alternator to produce approximately 23 amps. In other words, you'll easily be putting twice the horsepower through the belt, so a narrow belt or one that rides high on a narrow pulley could be problematic. If you can run the belt directly from the crank to the compressor, if at all possible try to put the idler pully on the bottom (a pain), the idle side of the belt rather than on the driving side. I had an aftermarket system on a truck like that and belt slippage and wear were excessive. The Seiki and Sanyo compressors take less horsepower but most don't have the capacity of the 9 ci York either. I've seen where some people mount one of those *** compressors where the generator/alternator sets and then mounts an alternator where the power steering pump usually sets.

Comment

I always think of something as soon as I post the message. The stock setup also uses double pulleys on the waterpump/fan blade shaft. That will probably be even tougher to find than a crankshaft pulley. I can't be sure without actually looking, but wonder if there is adequate clearance for the belt to run directly off the crank to the compressor. I can't be sure right now. I know I put an extra pulley on my '51. I used another fan belt/generator pully and bored holes and bolted it to the existing one. That way I didn't have to go looking for double pullies and the longer crankshaft bolt. However, that pulley is narrow enough that the belt may slip excessively when under a heavy load. If so, chances are it won't be at high speeds but instead putting around town. Of that I'm speaking from experience. With the 9 cubic inch York compressor, it'll draw 3.5-4 horsepower. By comparison, it takes one horsepower for an alternator to produce approximately 23 amps. In other words, you'll easily be putting twice the horsepower through the belt, so a narrow belt or one that rides high on a narrow pulley could be problematic. If you can run the belt directly from the crank to the compressor, if at all possible try to put the idler pully on the bottom (a pain), the idle side of the belt rather than on the driving side. I had an aftermarket system on a truck like that and belt slippage and wear were excessive. The Seiki and Sanyo compressors take less horsepower but most don't have the capacity of the 9 ci York either. I've seen where some people mount one of those *** compressors where the generator/alternator sets and then mounts an alternator where the power steering pump usually sets.

Comment

I have seen a setup where the compressor was mounted in the "V", on the passenger side of the oil filler mast. The belt then ran around the crankshaft to the compressor, and over to the power steering pump. The power steering pump was used as the tensioner. I don't know how well it worked, but it sure looked slick. This setup used the Sanden, I think a 508, but I'm not sure. This place might help you out, I've found them quite helpful:

Comment

I have seen a setup where the compressor was mounted in the "V", on the passenger side of the oil filler mast. The belt then ran around the crankshaft to the compressor, and over to the power steering pump. The power steering pump was used as the tensioner. I don't know how well it worked, but it sure looked slick. This setup used the Sanden, I think a 508, but I'm not sure. This place might help you out, I've found them quite helpful:

Comment

I thought J & N auto air had had some pulleys made up for Stude AC installations? Ebon? You lookin' in here?

Miscreant adrift in
                        the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                        1960 Larkvertible V8
                        1958 Provincial wagon
                        1953 Commander coupe
                        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I thought J & N auto air had had some pulleys made up for Stude AC installations? Ebon? You lookin' in here?

Miscreant adrift in
                          the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                          1960 Larkvertible V8
                          1958 Provincial wagon
                          1953 Commander coupe
                          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
                          X