PDA

View Full Version : JT M312 will live again!!!!!

Allan Songer
05-01-2008, 07:10 PM
Just finished up the R1 short block for the '56 Champion hot rod! I've had this motor for years and years--the last time it ran was probably during the Ford administration!! But here she sits in all her former glory just ITCHING to send that Champion screaming down the road or track!!

The heads might take another month or two, but I've got a Lionel Stone intake and a pair of reproduction R3 headers ready to bolt on!

http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c58/runsgood99/th_JTM312.jpg
http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c58/runsgood99/th_JT4.jpg
http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c58/runsgood99/th_JT3.jpg
http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c58/runsgood99/th_JT2.jpg

StudeRich
05-01-2008, 07:15 PM
Looking GOOD, Allan![^] It looks like you got the flat top Avanti Pistons and parts I sent you all fitted and installed, looks great!

Did you re-do the block sealer in the crankcase, it looks fresh? [:0]

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

Allan Songer
05-01-2008, 07:50 PM
quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

Looking GOOD, Allan![^] It looks like you got the flat top Avanti Pistons and parts I sent you all fitted and installed, looks great!

Did you re-do the block sealer in the crankcase, it looks fresh? [:0]

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

Thanks a million, Rich!! You have done me RIGHT!

Glyptal! Almost fifty bucks worth!!! Nice and red and shiny!!!

mbstude
05-01-2008, 08:01 PM
Now that's purdy. [^][8D]

Can't wait to see some pics of that car when you get done with it. [:p]

quote:Glyptal! Almost fifty bucks worth!!! Nice and red and shiny!!!

So, are you gonna ride around with the hood and valley pan cover off? [:o)]

Matthew Burnette
Hazlehurst, GA
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j209/mbstude/avatar-9.jpg

Roscomacaw
05-01-2008, 09:39 PM
Man, that's PURDY!

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President two door

mbstude
05-01-2008, 09:41 PM
Obviously 'JT' stands for Jet Thrust. '312' is my birthday; March 12. :D But what does the 'M' stand for? That's a new one on me. [?]

Matthew Burnette
Hazlehurst, GA

BobPalma
05-01-2008, 09:43 PM
:) Looks nice, Allan. Congratulations. Matthew: The "M" is part of the 1964 model year date production code. (You probably knew that, but had forgotten it.) :)BP

mbstude
05-01-2008, 09:52 PM
BP, that's a piece of trivia that I didn't know. The good news is, I know it now. :)

On second thought... Allan, that's MY engine! Not only is the '312' my birthday, but the 'M' stands for Matthew. [:o)]

Matthew Burnette
Hazlehurst, GA

bams50
05-02-2008, 06:02 AM
Great progress, Allan! Being that my projects can't progress as fast as yours, I enjoy living vicariously through yours. Keep on truckin'!

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Allan Songer
05-02-2008, 12:23 PM
quote:Originally posted by bams50

Great progress, Allan! Being that my projects can't progress as fast as yours, I enjoy living vicariously through yours. Keep on truckin'!

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

I just can't do those "five year" projects. I can let a car sit for YEARS, but once I start I like to finish it in a matter of months. The way I don't let projects linger or get away from me is by doing SOMETHING to the car every day--even if it's just cleaning and painting one little part, SOMETHING gets done every single day. And then once a week I'll spend 6-10 hours on the car. It's a system that works for me.

Also, I try REAL hard not to have too many "projects" sitting around waiting for me!!!

Alan
05-02-2008, 03:43 PM
Ragging on me, Al?

Allan Songer
05-02-2008, 04:59 PM
quote:Originally posted by Alan

Ragging on me, Al?

I like that B-GT with the V8. And the '53 K is cool. And what about the Avanti? And the one-of-a-kind Studebaker sports car/roadster? You have some REALLY cool projects there, Alan!! Makes my little '56 look pretty puny!!

I want a ride in the Stude "Thunderbird" sports car before the 2010 mid-term elections!!!

bams50
05-02-2008, 08:24 PM
quote:Originally posted by Allan Songer

I just can't do those "five year" projects. I can let a car sit for YEARS, but once I start I like to finish it in a matter of months. The way I don't let projects linger or get away from me is by doing SOMETHING to the car every day--even if it's just cleaning and painting one little part, SOMETHING gets done every single day. And then once a week I'll spend 6-10 hours on the car. It's a system that works for me.

Also, I try REAL hard not to have too many "projects" sitting around waiting for me!!!

I say, good for you[^] I feel the same- once it's started, I want to get after it!

I deliver a rural postal route, and own a used car business. I have a shop that's self-maintained with a good manager. The used car end takes more time. I usually work my route, arriving there at 7 AM and finishing 3-4 PM. I run home, handle any details, and on T,W,Th I'm on the road buying cars at new car lots and then auctions. I generally get home around 9 PM. Sometimes I work Saturdays. Sundays are for my family. So I get precious little time to work on my cars, which I love to do- and miss doing quite a lot.

My goal is to get the sales business set up with good people, freeing up some time to work on the Studes more. Two good additions are my brother, who knows the business as well as I, and steers the ship during the day; and our new very experienced Sales Manager, who looks to be more than capable to do that work. Also let go our previous manager, who was good at the job but way too many other issues.

All this adds up to- hopefully- being on the verge of reaching my main goal of having more time for my Studes! I've picked up a few different projects in anticipation of that;) I could pay to have the work done, but the point is I want to do it for the enjoyment of it.

So for now, I get a lot of enjoyment from watching others' projects move forward- like yours! Thanks for sharing[^]

Parish, central NY 13131

Allan Songer
05-03-2008, 05:06 PM
I work crazy hours too. I live 37 miles from work and am AT work at 6 AM (usually 5:45 or so) and leave for home between 6 and 6:30 most nights. I work about 3 Saturdays a month too--usually only 5-6 hours.

How do I find time for the car? Well, Im lucky enough to have the car AT WORK with me, parked along side my welding shop! I will take a 90 minute lunch, throw on some coveralls and work on the car 3-4 days a week if I can! If I'm too busy, I'll still do at LEAST 30 minutes every day. Then, on Saturday I'll drive up to Hollywood and start work on the car around 6-6:30 and work until I've had enough (today I worked from 7 till 12:30 working on the front half of the under carriage--I've got about another 6-8 hours to go).