Why not 63, 289 V8 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why not 63, 289 V8 ?

Was there a change between 62 and 63 V8's that would preclude this 4 BBl manifold fitting
    on my 63 Hawk's engine? The seller says 56 to 62. I would bid if it were useful.
    What is the going price for same on the average. Would an after market 4BBl carburetor
    fit this manifold?

Thanks for the help.
    Dick Curtis
    Santa Barbara
    The 1950 Champion Starlight
    Santa Barbara
    CA

The manifold will fit your engine just fine, it's the Carb. that does not fit!

The difference is the small square bore Carter WCFB or an old Chev. Rochester square bore Carb. has to be used to fit the manifold, UNLESS you have it bored out to fit the AFB and Edelbrock clones, because they have larger secondary ports.

It is cheaper to have a late model 2 Brl. bored and machined into an AFB compatible manifold.

The early 4 Brl. '55-'62 manifolds sometimes sell for $75-$100.00 whereas the '63-'64's sell for whatever someone will pay! [:0]

StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The other option, which is much cheaper is to use a carburetor adapter to go from the square bore, early carb, to the later AFB style carb. I use one on my early aluminum Offy 4 bbl intake. Works great, even under the hood of a 54 Coupe.
      sals54

Comment

quote:Originally posted by sals54

The other option, which is much cheaper is to use a carburetor adapter to go from the square bore, early carb, to the later AFB style carb.
        ...or, since it won't be a stock set up anyway, put on a WCFB. Unless you get an aircleaner with the carb, however, you'll need an inexpensive adapter to go from the smaller 4 7/32" carb opening on the WCFB to the modern 5 1/8" like this...

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

Many thanks for the help !
          I guess I'll pass on the 62 Ebay manifold and look for a 63-64 setup. The current Stromberg
          carb has worn throttle shaft bushings that cause RPM hunting at idle. Local shop says $250 to rebush and another $100 to overhaul.
          I want to stay close to stock but would like a little more Hp andpick up. Thought maybe
          for that kind of bucks I could go to a four barrel.

....Dick Curtis
          The 1950 Champion Starlight
          Santa Barbara
          CA

Comment

Working...
          X