Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cooling thoughts, questions and the like.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooling thoughts, questions and the like.

I have removed my stock fan and I am adding two electric fans to my Lark. One larger, higher CFM fan as the puller and one smaller, lower CFM pusher fan.

My question is how should I mount them in relation to the Radiator? Does it really matter? I know the coolant is hottest when it enters the radiator, but the coolant enters the block from the bottom. Should I put the bigger fan in the bottom corner closest to the exit of the radiator back to the engine and put the smaller one at the top closest to the inlet of the radiator as the back up as needed?

Advice, whether good or bad, is always appreciated.

Kel

1961 Studebaker Lark VIII. 6x,xxx miles from the factory. Daily driven.

I'm not sure why you are doing this. An engine driven fan will generally out cool any sort of electric fan....with the possible exception of long periods of idling.

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

Why use two?
      Waste of electricity (imoho).
      Get a big cfm CURVED BLADE fan and pull it through (lot's quieter).
      Pull through fans tend to be slightly more effective because at speed you don't partially block the radiator.
      A full size, good fitting, shroud will make a huge difference in fan efficiency.
      I am not a fan of core mounted fans.
      Build/buy the proper shroud/mount and enjoy.
      Make sure you run a relay setup, as a fan will fry a switch in short order.
      You didn't say whether you were alternator or generator, but I'd never run a fan with a generator.
      Too much load, especially at low rpm.
      If you must do two fans, I'd mount the big one up high and closer to the water inlet of the radiator, and the other one closer to the bottom (so you have the most fins covered without fan overlap)
      Post some pic's of your progress!
      Sounds like a fun project.
      Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by aucyrano

I have removed my stock fan and I am adding two electric fans to my Lark. One larger, higher CFM fan as the puller and one smaller, lower CFM pusher fan.

My question is how should I mount them in relation to the Radiator? Does it really matter? I know the coolant is hottest when it enters the radiator, but the coolant enters the block from the bottom. Should I put the bigger fan in the bottom corner closest to the exit of the radiator back to the engine and put the smaller one at the top closest to the inlet of the radiator as the back up as needed?

Kel

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I agree with Dick... if you have a bit of a cooling problem and everything in the cooling system is in good shape, why not look at a HD fan to replace your current stock fan - it will make a noticeable difference.

<h5>Mark
        '57 Transtar Deluxe
        Vancouver Island
        </h5>
        Mark Hayden
        '66 Commander

Comment

....you haven't helped us with "why" you are installing the fans ??? Is the car running hot ? Did you confirm this with a thermometer ? Assuming so...did you remove all the freeze plugs and remove/flush all the gunk out of the block ? If you did not perform the above tasks, and I assume this is not a rebuilt engine (?), you will never cool your engine down trying to force cool air through a good radiator......You simply will not succeed. I have had no fewer than 3 Stude V8's that ran 200+, and would overheat/boilover in warm weather. In each case performing the above clean-out of the block brought the temp down to 160-170 degrees.....And 1 of those cars had AC (see Chip's Cruiser).....

Comment

Cars with A/C got a 5 blade (vs. 4 blade) and a fan clutch. Studebaker also used a shroud in some applications (Hawk?). I'd run a 5 or 6 blade fan with the clutch and let it be. This is actually what I'm using in the picture below.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
            1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

I am daily driving this car. Gas mileage is the key factor here. Plus, I like to tinker with my automobiles. It is something I enjoy and when I run out of things to do with/to it, I'll get rid of it and get another to start over.

Why use 2? Simple, I put one on a relay, thermostatically controlled and one with a toggle switch. This way, if/when I decide to put my A/C on the car, I will have a good bit of cooling. I did not have a shroud and it was going to cost more for the shroud than to add the two electric fans. I am also adding a 75+amp alternator. Why? To power all the electrical gadgets that I plan on adding to my car. It's not for everyone, just what I like.

I have been taking quite a few pictures along the way. I am only wanting to modernize it just a little bit. I love the car as it sits, but it just needs a few things tweeked for me to be able to daily drive it and actually enjoy it to the fullest.

I was thinking that up near the inlet would be best and the least overlap possible. Thanks for the replies and I'll try and post up some pictures when I get the chance.

Kel

Comment

I have electric in my SBC 56J for same reason. I used a volvo fan with shroud. Had to cut it down to fit. I don,t think you would notice much difference in placement of fan but greatest flow should take path of least resistance( shortest distance). I would place them in that line with as little overlap as possible as pullers. Depending on size you may need both for cooling. You could use two controllers with progressive temperature settings. You should be able to connect ac to fan control so it comes on automatically with your ac. I intend to include a toggle with 70amp relay as a controller bypass to turn fan on manually if ever needed.(haven't gotten to it yet) I doesn,t look like fuel prices are going anywhere but up so anything to stretch it would probably be worth it. I'm in process of trying to stuff a Spicer aux trans in my old power wagon to give me 3 overdrive ratios and allow gear splitting. Hopefully the added weight won't negate too much of my gain. I plan on adding electric fans to it, as well as my old beater Ford truck.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by aucyrano

Kel

Kel,

I used a single large electric fan mounted on the engine side of the radiator on my '64 Cruiser with just a 2 core radiator. It worked fine for years until the motor wore out. I have a fan with thermostatic clutch on my Hawk and it works fine also but I don't drive the Hawk in the winter. I wanted the electric fan on my daily driver so the fan is not blowing cold air on the engine when not needed on those subzero winter days. Not a problem for most of you, I know, but thought I would add a different perspective.

As for fan shrouds, Studebaker used them on more than the Hawks for some applications. I have a stock metal fan shroud for a Lark that I bought it when adding AC to my '63 Wagonaire. It is really heavy though. They used pretty thick metal.

Dale

Comment

Working...
                  X