My Hawk to be in movie...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Hawk to be in movie...

I just got off the phone with a props director for a movie being filmed here in Columbia, SC. It's called "Nailed"... after reading the synopsis http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Jessi...ally-6849.html of the movie, I think it's something my car would be proud to be a part of... looks like an Academy Award winner (not really). I was told my car would be used in drive-in type scene(s) and not driven.

Lee

I remember a thread from quite a while back discussing the pros and cons of loaning cars to movie makers. You might want to search for it and read some advice.

Oglesby,Il.
    "Studebaker? It must be hard to find parts for those!"
    Oglesby,Il.

Comment

You are going to love the movie experience. It also makes your car more valuble as a conversation peice. I have always liked the movie experience because you are treated so nice. Please take advantage of the food because they have the best caterers. The money is good also, if your lucky they will keep it for a couple of days. If you are very lucky you might be asked to be an extra. I have been an extra many times with costume changes and everything. I remember the first time I went to a movie to see my car and when I saw it I was so proud and excited, my friends were to, flks at the movie did not know what all the excitment was about but you know and it's a great feeling...enjoy it and congratulations

Studebakers forever!
      Studebakers forever!

Comment

I agree. My Hawk was in a couple seconds of Shawshank Redemption. (You'd see it parked next to the news truck when the feds came for the warden near the end). Dad had a great time playing a guard - still has the patches from the uniform.

By the plot synopsis of 'Nailed', I'd apply a good coat of wax and a set of disposable seat covers, just in case.[]

Andy
        62 GT
        Andy
        62 GT

Comment

quote:
          By the plot synopsis of 'Nailed', I'd apply a good coat of wax and a set of disposable seat covers, just in case.[]

Andy
          62 GT
          I have been in the film industry for most of my adult life. I have allowd my cars and my vintage Airstream to be used from time to time. If you don't want to be there for the shoot (after your first time, being on a movie set is just about THE most boring thing in the world!), the productdion compmany will arrange for a flat-bed tow of your vehicle.

I do have ONE nightmare story. My sister-in-law has a '57 Imperial convertible and a '61 300. A few years back she was contacted about the Imperial for a "drive through" fast food commercial. She had the car flat-bedded up to Hollywood from Newport where she lives and then got a call the next day from someone in the Art Dept. that she better come up and take a look at her car. It seems the director decided he wanted RED interior rather than BLACK and had the crew SPRAY PAINT the seats and door panels. After getting over the shock and anger, she negotiated a price for the damage--$6500 if I remember correctly--which allowed her to have a Rolls Royce quality leather interior stitched up in perfect factory patterns.

Comment

Congrats Lee! That sounds like fun. One of our members was contacted a few weeks ago to have her Avanti in a film being made in Wilmington (NC). The director loved the car, but said it looked too good to be in the film. He apologized and she got $200 bucks for her trouble.

Joe Roberts
            '61 R1 Champ
            '65 Cruiser
            Editor of "The Down Easterner"
            Eastern North Carolina Chapter
            Joe Roberts
            '61 R1 Champ
            '65 Cruiser
            Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Back in the 50's my Dad's '32 Roadster was used in a episode of the old "Life of Riley" TV shows. They paid him $100 a day (2 or 3 days I think) and I remember Dad was not much impressed with the actor who played "Jr.". As you might expect of a teenage TV "star", he was pretty full of himself. When Dad tried to explain some of the finer points of starting and driving a seriously hotted up flathead, the kid just blew him off. He then spent several embarassing minutes attempting (without much success) to get underway with the cameras rolling. After shooting all the "after" scenes, they then sprayed the whole car with some sort of chemical to make it look aged. It took Dad several days of scrubbing to get the crap off the car afterwards-he wasn't happy about that, but overall it was an enjoyable experience. A year or so later he sold the car and lost track of it, and we only recently learned it went on to gain fame as the "McMullen Roadster" in the hands of publisher Tom McMullen.

Steve Hudson
              The Dalles, Oregon
              1937 Dictator Flatback sedan (for sale)
              1949 "GMOBaker" 1-T Dually (workhorse)
              1953 Commander Convertible (show & go)
              1953 Champion Starliner (custom/rod project)
              1954 Champion Coupe (daily driver)
              1960 Hawk (future project?)

Steve Hudson
              The Dalles, Oregon
              1949 \"GMOBaker\" 1-T Dually (workhorse)
              1953 Commander Convertible (show & go)
              1953 "Studacudallac" (project)

Comment

Update: It looks like they're finally caught back up and ready to shoot this scene. They called to day and the shoot date is Monday and actually not far from work. It's going to be shot at one of the original 1960's Burger King/Hardees stores in town (the old stores that were shaped like crown (thinking Burger King). It'll be interesting especially since it's supposed to rain Saturday - Tuesday.

Comment

Take a picture of Jessica in your Hawk... Now THAT would be some kind of documentation!

Las Vegas, NV - Stop by, coffee's on!
                  '51 Champion Business Coupe G899965 10G-Q4-1434

Comment

My 58 red&white vett was in Steven Kings {IT}fillmed up here in vancouver B.C. Ca.1996, awsome experince,filmed for 2 days with about 30 other period cars.Richard Thomas was one of the stars.still have the fiberglass plate for Derry Maine where the show was written about.The bad part was i went to see the film and only a 53 red chev con. showed in the film.Car pics on vettpics.com

gh

Comment

Well been there, done that... don't want to do it again anytime soon. 7:00 a.m. - 9:00 p.m., and they didn't get it all in today so they want everybody back tomorrow. The weather was clear and 95 degrees for most of the day, and the SC humidity was in prime form today. I'm not going back but my car will be there. Actually it was pretty interesting for a while and everyone treated you like you were doing them a huge favor by being there. The people on the set definitely do not go hungry or thirsty. My car should be shown quite a bit in the scenes shot today and tomorrow. There were only about 10 cars used, and my Hawk was placed in a prime location. I overheard several comments about it, it stood out from the '55 T-Bird and two '57 Chevies it was placed between. They used all of the driver's as extras in background scenes.

I blew my 15 minutes of fame, I was pulled out by the casting director and asked to read for a speaking part for the director and 3-4 other people. It was a line at the pivotal point of the movie. Jessica Biel plays a waitress who as she gets shot in the head with a nailgun, falls and drops an expensive bottle of wine. The part they had me read for was a customer who would have been seated right there and screams out in horror the year and brand of wine, "That was a '58 (something or other)!!!". I guess I'm just not an actor, because I couldn't do it the way he wanted... screamed out in a way that it would make the whole place go quiet and look at me.

Oh yeah, Jessica Biel is as hot in person as she is on screen... she had someone always working with her when she was out on the set, but there were several times throughout the day where she was no more than 3-4 feet away. One of the crew members says that the higher you rise in the acting world, the nicer you are... the ones just starting out and play small bit parts are the most self-centered. Her local body-double could have been her identical twin, the only way to tell them apart was by their hair style... Jessica had bangs the double didn't. The only other big name in these scenes was Beverly DeAngelo, she was there just during the morning.

It was fun, but I think I'll stick to a career in IT.

Lee

Comment

I've been an extra and a stand-in in over 25 movies. The best pay has always been for a car used in the background. They don't eat much either!

Comment

I asked one of the extras what they were paying and she said $48/day and 1.5 for anything over 8 hours. So in doing the math, it looks like extras get paid $6.00/hr.

For cars they paid $150/day, but since it ran over a day they were going to try and get it bumped up to $200 for the second day. I couldn't be there today and two of my friends are down there with my car and playing extras. One thing that I was happy to see was the crew acted like anything that happened to any of the cars was going to be taken out of their paycheck. One of the lighting guys asked to have a car moved because he was worried about one of his stands in a stored area having a slight chance of fall over on it (even if it had it would have missed the car by 2-3 feet). But they moved the car up about a car length.

Comment

I had 2 vehicles in a movie a while back(hearts of Atlantis). It was a long process, kind of interesting to watch them work, and my only gripe was at the end of the year I received a 1099 tax form for the millions I had earned for them to use my vehicles.

Take Care

george o

Comment

The extras are referred to as the "walking props". In one movie I was to stand in the actor's place while the crew was lighting the scene. I couldn't move so the prop man spray painted my new khakis along with his prop. But you're right, the food is the best.

Comment

Working...
                              X