PDA

View Full Version : Hit with an ugly stick! eBay Custom Stude

Chris Pile
04-24-2008, 10:45 PM
Man, oh man!
Whoever customized this had all his taste in his mouth.
Awful from the front bumper to the rear.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Custom1953-Studebaker-Coupe_W0QQitemZ230246332715QQihZ013QQcategoryZ6466QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZV iewItem

Chris Pile
Midway Chapter SDC
The Studebaker Special

rockne10
04-24-2008, 11:14 PM
One can only hope that it was too far gone to do anything else with it.

On the other hand, we are so enamored of the near perfect original design that we cringe at any bastardization. It could be worse. He could have started with a Kaiser...or a Fiat. And then I wonder why he didn't.

wolfie
04-24-2008, 11:16 PM
Yea,I commented on this car when I saw it earlier today that someone spent a lot of time and money destroying a fine automobile.Very little in my opinion can be done to improve over the factory look of a 53 and this guy definately went the wrong direction.Steve

LarkVIII
04-24-2008, 11:20 PM
Is this like one of those magic pictures that you stare at and see something cool if you squint long and hard enough? I got a migraine looking and still couldn't see a beautiful 53 Studebaker in there [:0]

63VY4 Leakin' Lena Hagerstown MD

farmhawk
04-24-2008, 11:42 PM
That is one ugly Stude!?!?

Wayen K.
Libby, MT
61 Hawk (Project)
48 Diamond T 306H (Waiting)

sals54
04-25-2008, 01:12 AM
I own a 54 Coupe and no one has to tell me about the beauty of the original lines. For some odd reason, though, I like the overall look of this car except for the grill. It does not have the lines of the 54, but it has more of a Merc flavor without having to channel the body. I know its wierd, and I can't explain it.

S2DSteve
04-25-2008, 01:24 AM
That's incredible. If it was anything else, I'd say it was a pretty cool radical custom, but a '53 Coupe??...hard to believe.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u57/S2DSteve/Family12.jpg
Steve Hudson
The Dalles, Oregon
1937 Dictator Flatback sedan (for sale)
1949 "GMOBaker" 1-T Dually (workhorse)
1953 Commander Convertible (show & go)
1953 Champion Starliner (custom/rod project)
1954 Champion Coupe (daily driver)
1960 Hawk (future project?)

StudeRich
04-25-2008, 01:27 AM
Sal, maybe you are related to BATMAN! [:0] :D :D

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

avantilover
04-25-2008, 05:22 AM
I agree with Sal, apart from the awful grille and heavy front bumper it's not bad, but really nothing left of the original design. Shame, sometimes a car can look nice with modifications, this totally destroyed the original car, to create a what - nothing?

John Clements
Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
Secretary Studebaker Car Club of SA (as of 3/19/08)
Lockleys South Australia

wpsrea
04-25-2008, 07:37 AM
What a piece! The "design" just doesn't work.

Michidan
04-25-2008, 09:11 AM
Oooh, I don't know...
I think he achieved the look he was going for, which is very merc/slammed/custom/art deco. The front kind of reminds of a toy car, like an old 30's die cast. Imagine this car if had a put in a late 30's Stude coupe bat wing rear window.
The chop is a bit harsh in the back. What doesn't fit the package for me is a Chevy V6?! Jeez, at least put in an old nailhead or better yet a hopped up Stude V8.

Dan
52 hardtop
www.studebakerhardtop.com

N8N
04-25-2008, 09:12 AM
I'm kinda with Sal, if the front end had been done more attractively it might look kind of cool. But whether it would actually look better than a stock '53 is still debatable.

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

vegas paul
04-25-2008, 09:25 AM
It isn't so bad, if you like that type of custom, but I can't really even see the 53 Stude in it anymore. Could have been almost anything to start with.

Las Vegas, NV - Stop by, coffee's on!
'51 Champion Business Coupe G899965 10G-Q4-1434
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s144/vegas_paul/1462673_2_350.jpg?t=1180041622 http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s144/vegas_paul/graciestude.jpg?t=1180041703

Flashback
04-25-2008, 09:36 AM
This car reminds me of a local 40 Ford coupe , I saw "customized" in 1962. In one word "ruined". The 1953 Studebaker C/K's are, in my opinion, kind of in a class with the 40 coupe, just a little better.
Even Robert Bourke tried to customize his own design. It didn't work, as witnessed from the pictures we see. Some people just can't accept the fact that the 53 Stude. coupe is as near perfect as it gets.

Tex E. Grier

Scott
04-25-2008, 10:09 AM
I think it's perfect as a prop for some kind of futuristic or science fiction or alternative reality movie - a la Gattica (Yes, I know there was an Avanti in it).

sals54
04-25-2008, 10:15 AM
I am thinking that the whole front grill and bumper area could be "cut back", so to speak. so the headlights lead out front. So, if the bumper was recessed closer to the front wheels and maybe a Ferrari type grill (as in a 250 GT California), like the Ferris Beuler car, tucked underneath like an Avanti...... I don't know....... maybe nothing can save the front end. The rest, though, is still intriguing to me.

Alan
04-25-2008, 10:21 AM
I have seen this body in some magazine over the years, can't place it right this second. But it looks like some one has re done an old custom. Doesn't sit right on my pallet either.

Dick Steinkamp
04-25-2008, 10:30 AM
A radical custom is not supposed to look like the car it was made from. That's the point of a radical custom.

Radical customs are a different segment of the old car hobby than the Studebaker restoration segment. Believe it or not, the guys doing radical customs are probably having just as much fun as we are :D

Piling on a thread about how ugly a radical custom is that was made from a Studebaker on a Studebaker forum is a pretty safe bet. Sort of like if someone posted a picture of a turd and we all jumped in on how ugly and smelly it is.[xx(]

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s66/ddstnkmp/54%20starlight/HiResS2Dsig2.jpg

Roscomacaw
04-25-2008, 10:38 AM
Dick observes: "A radical custom is not supposed to look like the car it was made from. That's the point of a radical custom."

How RIGHT you are, Dick! This thing is drop dead gorgeous! If Bob Bourke had been given truly full reign with his pen and clay tools - THIS is what the result would've looked like!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President two door

Chris Pile
04-25-2008, 10:50 AM
quote:Piling on a thread about how ugly a radical custom is that was made from a Studebaker on a Studebaker forum is a pretty safe bet.

Perhaps the builder achieved his vision, Dick - but I'll bet even custom folks might not care for this one.
I [u]love</u> customs and other modded cars, as long as they are pleasing to the eye.
This one doesn't please me.

Chris Pile
Midway Chapter SDC
The Studebaker Special

Dick Steinkamp
04-25-2008, 10:51 AM
quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs
when you end up with something that mimics a '49 Merc, why the hell didn't you just ruin a Merc to start with???[xx(]

Doesn't look like a '49 Merc to me...

http://i4.ebayimg.com/03/i/000/ec/0a/6ac2_1.JPG

http://www.mercuryarchive.com/1949to1956/1949MercuryAD.jpg

...and of course, if it WAS built out of a '49 Merc, all the guys over at the Mercury forum would be piling on a thread about what a travesty it is to cut up a beautiful old Mercury [:0] :)

Hey, I don't like it either, but even if we have 100 more pile on this thread, it probably won't bring the car back to stock and probably won't do away with the radical custom portion of the hobby.

(now where's that picture of the turd? ;))

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s66/ddstnkmp/54%20starlight/HiResS2Dsig2.jpg

JBOYLE
04-25-2008, 10:55 AM
Nearly every day SDCers recommend scrapping or parting out an irreplaceable Studebaker (once one is gone, it's never coming back).

Others are sent to the scrapper because no one here wanted to take them on as a projects...the most frequently heard response is..."no space" or "It's on the wrong side of the state/country", so another car goes to China.

Given that level of pragmatism/common sense, it's a bit disingenuous to hear guys complaining about "ruining" a Stude when they don't know what shape it was in to begin with.
For all we know it started out as a car no one here wanted to bother saving.

The old car hobby is going to come under increased attack in the not too distant future because of pollution and fuel laws. It doesn't take a lot of imagination to hear the green folks screaming to get us out of polluting old cars...and wasting gas/causing pollution when we could be using mass transit.

We better adopt a "big tent" philosophy and "hang together" before the battle...or shirley we'll "all hang separately".

So let's try to make somewhat nice to other folks and their part in this hobby.

63 Avanti R1 2788
1914 Stutz Bearcat
(George Barris replica)

Washington State

DEEPNHOCK
04-25-2008, 11:25 AM
And we wonder why true custom guys never hang around this forum...

Flashback
04-25-2008, 11:30 AM
I think Dick may have said it without knowing it. I will agree, It looks like a turd.

Tex E. Grier

Flashback
04-25-2008, 11:32 AM
I grew up in the radical custom era. Even radil customs don't suppost to look like turds.

Tex E. Grier

52-fan
04-25-2008, 12:26 PM
As with ANY customization the more you deviate from original, the fewer people there are who will like it. I don't like it at all, but there are probably people who would love to have it.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona. Searcy,Arkansas

Guido
04-25-2008, 12:43 PM
I will refrain from commenting other than to note that on my monitor the windshield appears to be comprised of 2 pieces of glass V butted in the middle. Whether you like it or not, at least it was one project seen through to fruition. The overwhelming majority never make it this far. As Gord Richmond once observed, "Vast dreams cannot be realized if you have but half-vast abilities."

http://thumb14.webshots.net/t/63/663/9/36/86/2567936860097493054TXiheL_th.jpgGuido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Anne F. Goodman
04-25-2008, 01:03 PM
A Face only its Mother could Love

Mabel 1949 Champion
1957 Silverhawk
1955 Champion 4Dr.Regal
Gus 1958 Transtar
1955 President State
Fresno,Ca
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o269/nw3anne/Mabel.jpg?t=1165475035http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o269/nw3anne/xmasannecopy.jpghttp://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o269/nw3anne/GusMater.jpghttp://s122.photobucket.com/albums/o269/nw3anne/th_DSCN17232008-01-01.jpg

Flashback
04-25-2008, 02:29 PM
You may be right Ann. Only the one that built it could love it.

Tex E. Grier

studeefrek
04-25-2008, 03:33 PM
the old saying is theres a seat for every (A--) may not think it is great but someone did

27 commander 47 M5 50 2dr 51 conv. 50 starlite 37 coupe express

JDP
04-25-2008, 04:38 PM
OK, I sorta like the side and rear view, not so much the front end and the red trim. Someone put a lot of work in the car to achieve "his" vision, not ours.

JDP/Maryland

raprice
04-25-2008, 04:43 PM
It looks like an elephant sat on the rear roof and stayed awhile.:D
Rog

'59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop

kurtruk
04-25-2008, 06:28 PM
I hope the lead-work or Bondo isn't on to thick. Don't know if you realize this, but the dodge D-50 is the Mitsubishi-built twin mini-pickup. I hope the subframe is up to the job!

KURTRUK
(read it backwards)

hi-peral
04-25-2008, 09:31 PM
JBOYLE...I dont know who you are but you are so RITE on the mark. Different strokes for different folks! Big brother will take this all away from us if we dont stick together. Some day all these holier than thou will get a reality check.

Live your dreams!

Flashback
04-25-2008, 09:38 PM
To each his own. A turd is still a turd.

Tex E. Grier

bams50
04-26-2008, 07:02 AM
DISCLAIMER: To the owner and/or builder of this car: Please do not let the childish, low-brow attacks on your pride and joy made by a very small minority of the SDC membership dishearten you. I promise they do not speak for the decent folks that comprise the club. Most of us realize that gleefully picking apart someone's hard work is shameful and wrong. Most of the posters in this thread are decent people that just aren't thinking; if they were they'd realize how it would feel if they were in your shoes- and that somehow they think hiding in a computer and doing this is OK, even though they would never do this in person.

We have learned repeatedly that for every active poster there are many more who don't post but watch; and you may well be one of them. Please be aware that there are plenty of us actual DOERS that appreciate the incredibly hard work that went into your car, and respect that whether we like the finished product or not.

Best of luck to you.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

buddymander
04-26-2008, 11:02 AM
I'd love to have that car if I was stranded on a desert island--I would light all that bondo on fire and the smoke would attract vessels from multiple shipping lanes...

showbizkid
04-27-2008, 12:07 AM
Actually, if someone gave this to me, I'd paint it gloss black, put on lake pipes, give it a rake and drive it to Custom Night!

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
'63 F2/Lark Standard
http://studeblogger.blogspot.com
www.studebakersandiego.com

cjsteak
04-27-2008, 12:47 AM
I can see where the builder was going, and saw a ton of cars similar to this at the lonestar roundup I recently attended. I just think this car needs to be tweaked a bit. I'll agree that it's not really catching my eye in a positive way, but I think it could be tweaked into something rather attractive.

This is one of those cars that probably looks a bit better in person.

I hope. ;)

Chris Salisbury
Hutto/Austin, TX

1958 Commander Starlight Hardtop

bams50
04-27-2008, 09:37 AM
quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Let's not be harsh here! This is yet one more Studebaker fan, run off before ever sharing their magic & mastery with us.
While I might have chosen different shades of gold and red to bedeck it with, I wouldn't change one paddle of bondo on it. It's a masterpiece that really brings the stodgy C-K styling to the next level.
I'm currently hosting 2 '53 coupes here and I'd love to get some tips on how to make them more attractive and roadable.

Turning a "new leaf" in California's central valley. [^]

Thanks for changing this after I posted my response. I'm glad you get what I was saying[^]

If you search the 'net a bit I'm sure you'll find plenty of good customs to get ideas from for yours. Good luck![8D]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Karl
04-27-2008, 07:50 PM
whit the exception of the grill. I think it is a pretty nice ride.looks like a lot of thought and research went in to it.. Just because it not a stock 400 point car. Lets try not to throw to many stones at him.As so many on this forum say. His car,his money....;)

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o50/twnchgr/Picture2061-1.jpg

bams50
04-27-2008, 08:02 PM
EDIT: For clarification purposes, Mr. Biggs wrote that he intended to express sarcasm in a post just before this one; and has since deleted it. The following was my response to that post- unchanged:

I knew you were being sarcastic. So was I.

You know what I'm saying is right, and you certainly have the right to make yourself look foolish, and dig in deeper with sarcasm if you like. And if you want to pick at me for defending people who are expressing their taste through huge amounts of hard work without getting everyone's prior approval, you have that right too.

All I'm doing is expressing my right to let those who watch, but don't post, know that not everyone will run them down just to try to look clever. As has been proven over and over, people DO watch- and learn. Remember the Hawk with the chrome fins? That's just ONE example.

You're a good guy, Biggs; and have the biggest post total here. You were the first person to welcome me here when I came in, and have given endless help to many. So I just don't get your attitude on this.

To each his own, I guess.

Parish, central NY 13131

loc8tor
04-27-2008, 08:56 PM
Hmmmmm................my $.02

Its not my idea of what a 53 Stude "should" look like, however, thats not the intention of the builder.........
It doesnt appeal to me personally, but it doesnt turn my stomach either.........
I do sgree if it were mine Id have done it differently, BUT, I also can appreciate the fact tat it hasnt been turned into tommorrows cat food cans.......
The V6 is a turn off for me, but with gas fastly approaching $4 a gallon its not a bad idea, and/or maybe thats all he had laying around, along with the dakota parts.....I mean come on isnt that where our "kustom" hobby came from, lets take this and that and throw on some of these, and take off some of those, and cut this, fill that, lead this, nose and deck that, dechrome this, drop that, lower this, raise that, chrome this, pinstripe that, and so on and so on....true customs were the work of the customizer, and that being said was the customizers vision brought to life......
I also would rather drive that car everyday to work, than a Corolla, atleast it has some style, and even if you dont like it, you have to admit you couldnt not to look at it if it were driving by.............
c'mon guys, its gotta be better to restore, rod, or even customize a Stude rather than to crush it for $8 per 100lbs!

hmmm, my girlfriend has 2 GT Hawks....and I feel left out, wheres my "R" model Daytona????

hank63
04-28-2008, 08:00 AM
The beauty is in the eye of the beholder, right?
Not my cup of tea, but it's not my car either.
/H

oldguy
04-28-2008, 02:52 PM
I like the rear. Front doesn't light my fire, but I can live with it. Hate the chop. Seen a ton of them done this way and something about the slope offends my eye. Can't explain it.
So now that I have given my "oh so valuable opinion", let me confess; My heart aches for my lack of ability to create something that fine. I'm toiling away on lesser projects, practicing the crafts, in the hopes that someday I can build something I wouldn't be ashamed to park next to cars like that.
Like it or not, Kudos on the wok.

San antonio TX. 53 Champion Coupe, to be brought back from the dead.
"Of course it will fit, I have a torch"

Guido
04-28-2008, 05:19 PM
Chops are fine for someone Matthew's size. I can't drive a Model A truck without turning my head sideways to see, I can't imagine trying to drive this car.

http://thumb14.webshots.net/t/63/663/9/36/86/2567936860097493054TXiheL_th.jpgGuido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Lark289
04-28-2008, 09:58 PM
That car is pretty cool. It is obvious that a lot of work went into it. Not an improvement on the original, for sure, but I do not think that was the builder's intention. It was more just to build a custom, chopped Stude. More power to the builder. It is something I certainly would move in for a close inspection if I ever saw it in person.

Ready for a trip to the beach!

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u36/Lark289/StudeRamblerPic.jpg

HammondA100
05-20-2008, 11:51 AM
Well, I'll try to sway from the negative comments on this vehicle but will just my new neighborhood is wonderful as I no longer have to look at cars like that no longer.

Ches in So.Dakota
55 Commander Coupe in parts.

Dwain G.
05-20-2008, 12:30 PM
I don't think it is a '53! I'm thinking it might be a '52 body. All of a sudden it doesn't become such a mortal sin anymore.
I love customs, and to me a customized '50 Merc is one of the most beautiful cars ever. This Stude was built to emulate a car from that 'lead sled' era, and it does it pretty well, although I'm not wild about some of the styling cues used.

http://home.comcast.net/~jdwain/images/63.63.jpg
Dwain G.

barnlark
05-21-2008, 04:14 PM
Dwain, you may be right. Some '53 parts in there, but main body looks different like a '52. I really enjoy the many '53 custom efforts I've seen from this to the convertibles. I can't tell if it's the uneven gold paint or if it has some dents as you look down the sides, but I see it didn't draw bids to come close to the amount of work that probably went into it. I don't agree with picking on anyone's custom car effort, nor do I agree with censoring opinions as long as they are respectful. I don't see the point in being mean, not knowing what had gone into something like this, so I agree with Bams. Some may not understand the point of some custom cars, but I appreciate them all for the work and inner vision attempted. Some fall short and some are beautiful in the eyes of different beholders.
A Pontiac guy told me my car looked like a guppy in the front end the other day. Can't please everyone!

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh48/newshooter44/DSCN0087-1.jpg