Head casting numbers again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head casting numbers again

I've got a couple of scrap metal guys hauling off some stuff for me. What there is that's Studebaker stuff is truly junk, but 98% of what I'm letting them take isn't Stude stuff anyway. Actually, I'm PAYING them with this scrap stuff for hauling off a god-awful pile of brush and prunings that have accumulated over several years. They won't let us burn yard waste or tree clippings anymore and it gets expensive haulin' it off[}]

Anywho.... In digging out stuff they can have, I came across a set of heads that I got from StudeKen a couple of years ago and never really had looked at them to see what they were. To my surprize, there was NO casting number above the center exhaust port. There's just one letter and one number and they aren't even close to each other. One has an "N" or "H" , and then a very ill-defined 2 right above the exhaust port.
    On the other head there's a D and a 1. Anyone else seen heads like this???

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

I know this is a stupid question and that I may get spikes put in my tires when I'm down there visiting you in a couple weeks, but is there a possibility they are not Stude heads?

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

Do these look like 'little' heads Bob? Meaning 232 heads with the tiny valves. I think some early heads had the casting number in about the middle of the head under the valve cover, and the date code outside above the center exhaust ports.

Dwain G.
      Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Awright, Dick.[}] When you're here, I'll drop one of these on your foot and you can judge if it's a Stude head or not.[}]

I found the casting number - it WAS under the valve cover and in this instance, covered with grunge. It's 535976 - same as a couple of other sets I have lyin' about. Of course, it does have the bigger valves and ports. Maybe it's just an early one that was carrying on tradition of having the number under the cover.[8D]
        To tell the truth, yesterday when I flipped it over to look at the chamber side, I lost focus on the valves and zero'd in on the two, big, Black Widows that had taken up residence in two chambers. I'm very careful of where I let my digits go 'round here. Too many of these red hourglass buggars live amongst the car parts![:0][B)][8]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I've seen two, Stude heads without casting numbers also.
          Should'a took them home...these also, went to scrap!

Mike

Comment

I've got a head here - maybe a pair, I can't remember - that has "SPEC" and "TEST" cast into them. They wear a proper casting number above the center port, but the aforementioned words are cast into the area covered by the valve cover.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe
            1957 President two door

Comment

Interesting, Biggs. What is the casting number on the 'spec test' heads?

Dwain G.
              Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Working...
              X