PDA

View Full Version : Color photos in Turning Wheels

avantilover
10-20-2006, 07:16 PM
I'm just curious as to what the extra subscription cost would be if TW was "All Color?"

I'm asking because of articles such as "Studebakers at Rally of the Giants" pg 30 Oct 2006 issue. This mentions two cars with unique or rare paint colors yet it's really meaningless with only B&W photos.

I understand there is extra cost for color separations etc, but am willing to pay more if All-Color was introduced.

John Clements
Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
Lockleys South Australia

Skip Lackie
10-21-2006, 08:17 AM
quote:Originally posted by avantilover

I'm just curious as to what the extra subscription cost would be if TW was "All Color?"

I'm asking because of articles such as "Studebakers at Rally of the Giants" pg 30 Oct 2006 issue. This mentions two cars with unique or rare paint colors yet it's really meaningless with only B&W photos.

I understand there is extra cost for color separations etc, but am willing to pay more if All-Color was introduced.

John Clements
Lockleys South Australia

John-
You will be seeing a lot more color in TW in the future, but all-color issues are not really practical. My notes from the Omaha board meeting indicate that the additional cost of 16 pages of color is US$2700 per issue. The board approved funding a maximum of three additional issues with color (one to cover the Omaha meet had already been approved) in the next eight months. The decision to use the extra money for color or other features will be left to the editors. The policy and budget forecasts will be reviewed at the Sound Bend meet. For example, color usually requires heavier coated paper, and paper costs can change quickly.

The reason all-color issues are not practical is because about a half of the pages in the magazine either have no pictures or are articles (for example, most of Fred Fox's historical reviews) for which only black and white photos are available. You may have noticed that issues with color have had to be reorganized, as it would be a waste of money to print a black-and-white page on the back of a color page.

All that said, color is getting both better and cheaper, so you will be seeing more color in the future. The extra costs for the meet issue last year were donated to SDC by our printer, Chester Bradfield. If you want to say thank you to Chester, make a donation to the Studebaker National Foundation. He is heading up the fund-raising drive.

Since we're talking about TW, here's a recent message from our Publisher, Larry Swanson:
"Although it should be no surprise, it is my duty
to inform the Board that because of the International
Meet being just at the end of the month, and with
our entire editorial staff being present for the entire
week and busy all the time they were away from their
homes, the November Turning Wheels will be somewhat
delayed from our usual early publication schedule.

We will keep you informed about the December issue
progress, which would normally be finishing up soon.
The January TW is projected to be the Omaha meet
issue, in color. What a Christmas present that will be."

Skip Lackie

Skip Lackie
10-21-2006, 08:17 AM

John Clements
Lockleys South Australia

John-
You will be seeing a lot more color in TW in the future, but all-color issues are not really practical. My notes from the Omaha board meeting indicate that the additional cost of 16 pages of color is US$2700 per issue. The board approved funding a maximum of three additional issues with color (one to cover the Omaha meet had already been approved) in the next eight months. The decision to use the extra money for color or other features will be left to the editors. The policy and budget forecasts will be reviewed at the Sound Bend meet. For example, color usually requires heavier coated paper, and paper costs can change quickly.

The reason all-color issues are not practical is because about a half of the pages in the magazine either have no pictures or are articles (for example, most of Fred Fox's historical reviews) for which only black and white photos are available. You may have noticed that issues with color have had to be reorganized, as it would be a waste of money to print a black-and-white page on the back of a color page.

All that said, color is getting both better and cheaper, so you will be seeing more color in the future. The extra costs for the meet issue last year were donated to SDC by our printer, Chester Bradfield. If you want to say thank you to Chester, make a donation to the Studebaker National Foundation. He is heading up the fund-raising drive.

Since we're talking about TW, here's a recent message from our Publisher, Larry Swanson:

Skip Lackie

avantilover
10-21-2006, 04:36 PM
quote:Originally posted by Skip Lackie

John Clements
Lockleys South Australia

John-

Skip Lackie
Thanks Skip, I understand - perhaps these unique cars could be featured on or inside the cover and that would solve the issue, provided the author took color photos.

John Clements
Lockleys South Australia

avantilover
10-21-2006, 04:36 PM
quote:Originally posted by Skip Lackie

John Clements
Lockleys South Australia

John-

Skip Lackie
Thanks Skip, I understand - perhaps these unique cars could be featured on or inside the cover and that would solve the issue, provided the author took color photos.

John Clements
Lockleys South Australia

Ricardo
10-23-2006, 08:54 PM
Dear John

I wrote the article on the Rog.
As the photos were not published in color I have attached the most striking colored Stude-Packard in the event

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/193/gor274bfg5.jpg

Studebakerchile
http://www.tuerca.cl/studebakerchile/

Ricardo
10-23-2006, 08:54 PM
Dear John

As the photos were not published in color I have attached the most striking colored Stude-Packard in the event

Studebakerchile

avantilover
10-24-2006, 03:02 AM
quote:Originally posted by Ricardo

Dear John

Studebakerchile
Muchos Gracias Riccardo,
That car is stunning as I thought it would be, he's very lucky to have such a nice car.

John Clements
Lockleys South Australia

avantilover
10-24-2006, 03:02 AM
quote:Originally posted by Ricardo

Dear John

Studebakerchile
Muchos Gracias Riccardo,
That car is stunning as I thought it would be, he's very lucky to have such a nice car.

John Clements
Lockleys South Australia