Another USPS Studebaker Stamp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another USPS Studebaker Stamp

We all know that the USPS issued that nice group of stamps that included the 1953 Commander Starliner.
    The USPS is coming out with a new group of car stamps. It is called "'50s Fins and Chrome." This new series initial date is October 3. You can get them in advance at Carlisle. Included is a 1957 Golden Hawk. The other cars in the group are; '57 300C, '57 Premier hardtop, '57 Safari and '59 Eldorado convertible.

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Thank you for the headup on the stamps.

Gary Sanders
    Nixa, MO
    President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
    Gary Sanders
    Nixa, MO

Comment

Wonder if they'll sell posters, key rings and the like this time?

Let's hope they do an Avanti in the future...the best looking Studebaker ever.

Okay, I said that last part in response to the surprising number of you loyal SDCers who said recently in a thread that you didn't care for the looks of the Avanti.

63 Avanti R1 2788
      1914 Stutz Bearcat
      (George Barris replica)

Washington State
      63 Avanti R1 2788
      1914 Stutz Bearcat
      (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

I was working with the design firm responsible for the art on this stamp for a few years. I was sworn to secrecy so lived up to my promise. I have some digital copies of the stamp design for the '57 Golden Hawk that I would post here but hesitate to do so unless the USPS has released them. According to their website the "unveiling" will be at Carlisle on October 3 so I will not post the image here until after that. This (below) is from their website. Note the mention of 10 foot images!!

Richard Quinn
        editor: Antique Studebaker Review
        Richard Quinn
        Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Dick, I would hope that they would invite you to attend that ceremony. Since it is only about two weeks after the International meet just plan on staying in this area and I met we could find hosts for you.
          sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

An interesting tie-in, here: Thursday, April 17th was the funeral of SDCer Henry Griffith of Mooresville IN. There were ten collector cars in the funeral procession; seven Studebakers and three others. The three non-Studebakers were owned and driven by Henry's friends in a local, multi-make old car club to which he belonged, in addition to SDC.

One of the other three cars was a very nice 1957 Pontiac Safari wagon in exactly the same color combination, and with the same whitewalls and wheel covers, as the '57 Safari on the new USPS stamp! Boy, you can bet that hobbyist will be buying sheets of those stamps. BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

If you go to https://www.usps.com/communications/...8/sr08_039.pdf it will show you the stamps and new realease about the issue.

New Jersey & Studes Perfect Together

Comment

OK since the USPS has released the photos here is what I was provided during our last communication in Sept '07.

Richard Quinn
                Richard Quinn

Comment

The proportions on the Golden Hawk are certainly much more accurate than those of the Starliner stamp awhile back. The Starliner stamp's roofline was 'way too high in the back. This GH looks real nice. BP
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

While it is nice to see Studebaker recognized on another postage stamp it appears they will be sold as sets only. In other words you will not be able to buy ten '57 Golden Hawk stamps without also buying ten of the other four cars in the set.

For a larger view of the stamp go to:

Richard Quinn
                    Richard Quinn

Comment

That's how it was the last time, Richard; you had to buy the other cars on the set to get the Starliner. BP

Comment

Oh well, I use the brand-x car stamps on bills and the Stude stamps I don't save go on letters to people who would appreciate 'em.
                        Nice job with that stamp, Richard!

Western Washington, USA

Comment

Working...
                        X