Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A great weekend...

Hi all--

Wish every weekend could match the one just past. Saturday morning, with Spring finally, really and truly here, I went up to Glanbrook, south of Hamilton, to pull Betty the '62 Lark out of storage. (Drove up in the '05 Pontiac Vibe I'd picked up the previous day!)

The Lark, as ever, ran beautifully...ticks over like a great big Corolla with two more cylinders. My dad ferried the Vibe back into town while I drove the Lark back. There's more space at my parents' place than at mine, so I took Betty there. Got her washed (and found out that the tops of the driver's and front passenger's windows leak a bit!), then set to polishing the very smooth but rather faded paintwork (applied, I think, about a quarter century ago) and brightwork. The car doesn't really need anything mechanically at the moment, since I had that attended to last fall.

Yesterday morning was the monthly SDC Hamilton Chapter meeting at the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum in Mt.Hope. I'm a churchgoer, but on this occasion simply had to "play hookey" for the SDC gathering...have been waiting twenty years to do this stuff! Parked Betty, for the very first time, at the end of a row of Studebakers (of course on this gorgeous weekend a lot of other SDCers had their cars out too), and went in for the meeting (and Chapter past prez/CWH pilot Paul Cronkwright's entertaining star turn running the Blind Auction); some Stude chitchat among the cars (ultimately, five Lark types and two Avantis) at the museum followed, then it was back to town, where I had lunch at my parents' place (as usual on a Sunday) and treated my 5-year-old nephew Keegan to his first ride in a Stude, which was also the first time he'd been in the front seat of anything on the move (mandated booster seats go in the back, but the Stude isn't set up for those)...strictly speaking, an illegal arrangement, but we were only trundling slowly round a couple blocks, and Keegan was belted in at least! He must have approved, because later on I was called upon to repeat the exploit, taking him for his second Stude ride. I took a slew of photos (no way yet of posting any though).

Now if I could have found a way to prevent this from being Monday, so as not to have to shuffle off to work (on my bicycle; I don't commute by car), all would be truly right with the world. Even so, there is now a Studebaker in front of my house, ready to go at the turn of a key. Life, this Spring, is good!

S.

Cool! 5 Lark types, you say?!? Hope you do get us some pics[]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

Bob--

Yep, five Larks. Hamilton chapter seems "Lark-centric", logical enough given that this is where the type was last assembled...To be specific, the Larks were:

61 Lark four-door (259 V8)
      62 Lark two-door (six; mine)
      63 Lark Regal two-door
      64 Daytona four-door
      64 Daytona HT

And the two Avantis, both IIs, were an 83 and an 85. Impeccable weather, great company, an aviation museum for a meeting spot to boot...let's hear it for Spring!

S.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Steve T

let's hear it for Spring!
        I'll second that!![8D]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
        Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

Where's the pictures Steve!?

<h5>Mark
          '57 Transtar Deluxe
          Vancouver Island
          </h5>
          Mark Hayden
          '66 Commander

Comment

Pix? All in good time...I hope...haven't had a digital camera very long, and am not yet conversant with all the tricky bits. Plus, the method of posting pix on this forum is different from the other two (airplane fora) I frequent.

Same goes for my Lark, truth told. Tried to start the Lark Monday before work, no dice. Figured the battery was low. Tried again for the heck of it last night when I got back from work; on the third try she fired! Ran her up for a few minutes and tested the electrics. Main lights and dash lights OK (radio too, to the extent that it works at all), but now the turn signals wouldn't work. Checked the manual (an NOS Christmas present from Stude Intl) and noted that the turn signals and backup lights are on their own fuse (SAE 9), am guessing I've blown that. No big deal (I hope)...

Also learned a bit more about the blue paint, but I'll revive my earlier thread for that...

Cheers

S.

Comment

Exhuming this thread...Have now set myself up on Photobucket (considerably easier than I expected), haven't got time right now but hopefully will post some pix of Betty the Lark (and some of the other cars at CWH on the 20th) tomorrow. Wish me luck! The directions in the sticky on posting pix seem very clear, so this should work OK.

S.

Comment

Strange goings-on here...Bunch of photos uploaded to Photobucket beautifully the other day...but now, neither they nor ANY other graphics will appear when I'm online! (Even the Studebaker wheel logo is absent from its usual place atop this forum.)

I'll try typing a link to one of the shots, in case the URL by its lonesome is any use...I'm sure the shots aren't actually gone from Photobucket, this blasted PC simply won't bring them up for me...

&lt;http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/l...0_0338.jpg&gt;

S. (mystified...)

Comment

Mabel 1949 Champion
                  1957 Silverhawk
                  1955 Champion 4Dr.Regal
                  Gus 1958 Transtar
                  1955 President State
                  Fresno,Ca
                  Mabel 1949 Champion
                  Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
                  Gus 1958 Transtar
                  The Prez 1955 President State
                  Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
                  Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
                  Fresno,Ca

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Steve T

Bob--

Yep, five Larks. Hamilton chapter seems "Lark-centric", logical enough given that this is where the type was last assembled...To be specific, the Larks were:

61 Lark four-door (259 V8)
                    62 Lark two-door (six; mine)
                    63 Lark Regal two-door
                    64 Daytona four-door
                    64 Daytona HT

And the two Avantis, both IIs, were an 83 and an 85. Impeccable weather, great company, an aviation museum for a meeting spot to boot...let's hear it for Spring!

S.
                    I have noticed more and more sedans showing up at our meets as well. The last meet there were two Cruisers, a 64 Commander 4dr., a '56 President, and a 4 dr. Daytona. This is out of 11 cars. A while back we a lot of trucks showing up, but only one at that particular event.

Joe Roberts
                    '61 R1 Champ
                    '65 Cruiser
                    Editor of "The Down Easterner"
                    Eastern North Carolina Chapter
                    Joe Roberts
                    '61 R1 Champ
                    '65 Cruiser
                    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Thanx Anne!

Forum looks normal again now too, so I'll try posting a couple more of those pix. Guess my PC just had the 48-hour flu or something. The pic above shows six of the seven Studes present at the Hamilton chapter meet in April. A '61 Lark arrived a bit later. My '62 "Betty" is the blue two-door at the far end. Stay tuned for a couple more...

S.

Comment

OK...here goes nothin'...

If it works, this shows three sequential model year Lark series cars at the April chapter meet.

S.

Comment

It works! Yippee!!

Here's one from Betty's only day (December 1) on the road last year. Taken in a trucking laneway off Burlington Street in northeast Hamilton, this shows the north wall of the old Hamilton Stude plant with its painted STUDEBAKER sign still visible. I hope to get more shots around the plant complex this year.

S.

Comment

...And here's one of the dash and a bit of the interior of my Lark. (You can see to a degree in this shot why I was so pleased Bob Easton had that blue carpeting at Badenoch!)

S.

Comment

Working...
                            X