Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HHO generators (burning water in your Studebaker)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HHO generators (burning water in your Studebaker)

Has anyone investigated (and/or TRIED) an HHO generator in their cars?

If you are not familiar with this, it is a method of using water to, among other things, increase gas mileage.

It is NOT water-INJECTION, as used in supercharged cars. If you will Google HHO or Brown's gas or hydroxy and you'll find tons of guys experimenting with this idea. Many very serious experiments.

I'd like opinions on this as I am interested in either buying or making one.

Since I'm not sure where this subject belongs, I'm also posting this in the "Stove-Huggers" part of the forum

John

Sounds like a perpetual motion machine to me. BUT.... if you can make one work let me know.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Jack

Sounds like a perpetual motion machine to me. BUT.... if you can make one work let me know.
      Nope, because, since you use up the hydrogen, you have to re-fill the water reservoir, so it can't be "perpetual". And it SEEMS there are many people making them work. They are selling on Ebay and have many videos on YouTube. I'm just wondering if anyone here has experience with them.

John

Comment

Hi, John,

All I know is from reading many magazines and web sites over many years, but every reputable source I read says with current technology, it takes more energy to separate hydrogen than it returns in energy. (Same with ethanol, but you didn't ask that.) The Fish 100 MPG carburetor in a new box is my take on the HHO.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
        PackardV8

Comment

Found on the net:

"The HHO trademark is associated with an unproven state of matter called magnegases, and a discredited theory about magnecules, which is the basis for a number of fraudulent claims, and water-fueled car scam attempts similar to Stanley Meyers' water fuel cell hoax. A popular scam attempt includes marketing "run your car on water" as a hydrogen fuel enhancement system in disguise."

JDP/Maryland
          JDP Maryland

Comment

I, too, was very skeptical, until I read all the info and saw the videos on YouTube. These guys ARE making these things and they DO produce hydrogen gas. And IT APPEARS they improve mileage from 20-50%. I have seen CLAIMS of up to 70% but no facts.

However, there is a series of videos of one guy who drove a Civic from Lubbock TX to Houston, 501 miles. He said the usual highway average for his Civic was about 31 mpg. Using the HHO generator, he SAID he achieved 44.48 mpg, an increase of over 40%. Of course, he could have faked the whole thing but IT SEEMED truthful and objective, so....

And they are for sale on Ebay, on websites and at shows.

Even tho they appear to be WONDERFUL, I'm NOT suggesting they are good or bad. I TRULY do not want to start a "FLAME" war. I'm only asking for actual experiences, if any.

John

Comment

I'm sure folks think they are getting better mileage, maybe they are driving easier without knowing it, or it's wishful thinking. I recall in the stereo business I had a Monster cable demo board that you could switch from cheap cables to the Monster, and every time I did, I swore I could hear an improvement. One day I was flipping back and forth for a customer and we were in agreement that the Monster cable sounded much, much better. Imagine my surprise when I noticed I was on the cheap cable, when telling the customer I was on the good stuff. It's called psychoacoustics, your brain tells you there is a improvement, so there is.
              Until someone does a controlled test that shows the HHO system actually works, not just hype, I'll remain a skeptic.

JDP/Maryland
              JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

.....I'll remain a skeptic.

JDP/Maryland
                I'm with you, John.

However, when you have some time, just go to YouTube, put in "HHO" and see all the people actually USING this techology--half of which I don't understand--and most of them very crude--wires and tubes everywhere. AND MAAAAANY versions are being sold on Ebay. There are books on the subject.

One guy SAYS he is running TOTAL HHO, (no gas) on a Ford 150. One guy SAYS he's running a lawnmower totally on HHO.

Frankly, unless there is some giant conspiracy, it would SEEM that they can't ALL be lying.

But back to my original question...does anyone here have EXPERIENCE with this "thing"? I wanna hear it (AND SEE IT!)

John

Comment

MY 2006 Civic can get 42 to 48 on the road. Drive 65 mph and no head winds, tail wind for the 48 mph. Drive 70 mph and head winds 36 to 39 mph.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by curt

MY 2006 Civic can get 42 to 48 on the road. Drive 65 mph and no head winds, tail wind for the 48 mph. Drive 70 mph and head winds 36 to 39 mph.
                    Dunno about the state of tune of the Civic in the test but if you watch the videos, it seems he is a very straightforward kinda guy. He seemed very surprised that he got 44.5 mpg. Did he have a tailwind or a headwind? Dunno. But you can watch the speedo and it was usually 60-65 all the way.

But he is not the only one. MAAAAANY people SEEM to be getting, what I would consider EXCEPTIONAL mileage, using these mostly home-made monstrosities. Is it fake? DUNNO. Could dozens of people fake it? Of course!

I'm sure that there are people who will lie about this device. But it seems impossible to me that DOZENS of people would, especially people with no "axe to grind". In other words, they are making these units themselves--very home made things. Most are not trying to sell them, only citing experience.

That's why I ask the question again (are you getting tired of it?) Does anyone have EXPERIENCE with one of these units in their car?

John

Comment

John, Take the plunge. Try it out and let us know if it works.

Barry'd in Studes

Comment

My opinion is most of the folks that spent 100's of dollars on Snake Oil will tell there friends how wonderful it works rather then risk embarrassment. However, if John tries it, I'll trust him to be be brutally honest. Who knows, it may violate the laws of physics and work, it could happen.

JDP/Maryland
                        JDP Maryland

Comment

This thread piqued my interest. As stated there are a lot of videos out there with HHO generators working on cars. Also, there are now commercial HHO generators that are used in welding and cutting. So, it does work and does burn. It does take electricity to make the "brown gas". It makes sense to my feeble mind that if you charge the intake air of an internal combustion engine with some sort of gas (i.e. propane, hydrogen, etc.) that it would cause an increase in gas mileage.

I'd love to try it on my fuel injected 460 Ford motorhome behemoth that gets 6 miles per gallon[}]

Mark Anderson
                          Member SDC and FMCA
                          Keeper of the Studebaker Cruiser Registry

My next Studebaker is in the future, but now getting my hair messed up in a Sebring ragtop!
                          Almost as fun as a Studebaker!

Comment

No question that adding hydrogen/oxygen to the mix will help, but it's the amount of gases added. Think of the 1000's of cubic feet of gas you'd need to generate to make a difference, a few bubbles coming off a quart of water won't do it.

JDP/Maryland
                            JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

My opinion is most of the folks that spent 100's of dollars on Snake Oil will tell there friends how wonderful it works rather then risk embarrassment. However, if John tries it, I'll trust him to be be brutally honest. Who knows, it may violate the laws of physics and work, it could happen.

JDP/Maryland
                              Brutal? Of course! Honest....hmmmmm. OK OK, I'll be honest too. Gimme a couple of weeks. We'll see. If you hear a large BAANG from San Antonio, it'll be ME flying over your house, John!

Didn't they use hydrogen in the Hindenburg?

John

Comment

Working...
                              X