Oil Pressure Line to Gauge in 245 engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Pressure Line to Gauge in 245 engine

I saw a picture posted on the forum of a 245 cubic inch, big 6 engine. The Picture showed the exhaust and intake manifold side of the engine.
    There were two oil pressure lines showing. Both coming out of the oil pan. One routed to the gauge and the other somewhere near the intake manifold. It is difficult to tell from the picture. I looked at my manuals, both parts and service to study the pictures more thoroughly. Then looked at my engine.

I have only one line which is attached to the oil pump. There is no second line. My gauge does not show any pressure reading and I was wondering if the second line has something to do with enabling the gauge to function properly. It is puzzling that the picture in the manual shows both line coming out of the oil pan and not the oil pump. The manual indicates that the line is attached to the oil pump and not the oil pan. Is the picture accurate? It is also difficult to tell where the second like is attached near the manifold. My engine has a port on the intake side of the manifold, near the engine. It is currently plugged. But I was wondering if this is where the second line is attached. It is hard to imagine the possibility of oil going into the intake manifold though. I also noticed in the picture that there is an extended part of the oil pan, which does not exist on my engine. Were there different configurations to the oil pan in the 245 engine or might I have the wrong oil pan? Mine actually fits and has the correct screw hold alignment to the engine.

My concern is that the oil pressure gauge did work once, but had the incorrect fittings and it leaked. It showed a pressure reading of 40 at idle, however. I put the correct fittings on and it stopped leaking but shows no pressure reading. I removed the lines and clean them, blew compressed air in them to make sure there were no oil clogs. I also blew out the oil galleys. I clean the oil pressure relief valve and spring as well. I removed and cleaned the gauge and used compressor pressure to see if the needle would move. It did. The gauge still does not show a significant reading. The gauge needle moves a slight bit but it is almost imperceivable. I rebuilt the engine many years ago and now can not remember if I put new gears in the oil pump. I kind of think I did not because the gears may have appeared alright, no scores or scratches. I just can't be 100% certain. I did not do an oil pressure check on the pump but did do a basic check after changing the oil. I removed all the oil from the bottom of the oil filter canister and removed it from the engine and clean it thoroughly, plus cleaned the lines from the filter canister to the oil galleys in the engine. Of course I refilled the oil pan, then bumped the engine a couple of times. I forgot to reattach the oil pressure line to the gauge and oil came out of the line. Luckily it was not too much that spilled out, but enough to let me know oil was getting through the lines. I partially fill the oil filter canister after reattaching it to the engine, then took a look in the canister after bumping the engine. The canister was completely full at that inspection. So the pump appears to be working. I was thinking about putting in new pump gears, but before tackling that project I wanted to find out about the second line and how it is attached. Now, I do remember there was another piece of cooper tubing in the engine parts bin, but there was no additional fitting on the oil pump body. So at the time I did not know where the line went and what it was for. Never inspected the pictures in the manuals. My oil pan does not have the extended area on it like in the picture. So I am wondering how the second line would be attached and is it critical to the functioning of the gauge?

Just for FYI, the engine is in a 53 1/2 pick-up and obviously a 2R6 having the 245 c.i. The truck has not been on the road yet, just moved back and forth a short distance in the garage and a lot of letting it idle in the garage. The exhaust is ported out of the back window of the

Hi, I think this whole problem may boil down to the gauge being bad! How much air pressure did you put to it? You probably blew it up. I would try another gauge.

I would not put too much stock in those generic drawings in the parts Book, I looked at the one in the engine section, and I have never seen an actual production engine that looked like that! [:0] My 1960 Champ 245 has none of those extra lines. The gauge can operate from any one of those (4) plugs in the oil gallery just above the pan, or the one in the oil pump.

The oil gauge only needs one line to operate it. You also could have an air lock in it, and need to bleed the air out.

StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
    Revised, fixed typo 4/22
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

What Rich said. I have a 3R6, and the tube for the oil pressure gauge comes off the oil pump. There is a second line that comes off one of the oil gallery holes, but it goes across the front of the engine to the oil filter.

Skip Lackie
      Washington DC
      Skip Lackie

Comment

I think the second line you are seeing is a drain tube from the intake manifold. There is a check valve in-line, I suppose to close the line to vacuum on a running engine. I doesn't go into the oil pan, dead-ending just below the engine block. As far as I know these were only used on 226 truck engines. As has already been mentioned, the illustrations often have touch-up work done that isn't totally accurate.

Dwain G.
        Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

There was an option on some M-series Big 6s that had a vacuum generator stacked on the oil pump. This was to assist the vacuum windshield wipers. It too, had a line going to the manifold.

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
          X