Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I think I fell asleep mid-post this morning.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I fell asleep mid-post this morning.....

....at any rate, I had two major components go south at the same time. Water pump and the alternator in my 61 Lark VIII (4 door wagon, for those of you that like to know ). Anyhow, I am planning to put an A/C in the car once I get all the parts together. I am going to mount it in the stock alternator/generator location, so I need to move the alternator to the top-left of the engine, if viewing from the front.

What I am in need of is a pre-fabbed bracket for the alternator and I need it relatively quick. As well, I am going to need a new water pump and I figure if there are any good/reputable vendors that are Stude oriented, I might as well give them my business. This group has always been helpful and quick I might add. I am hoping for the same.

So, for the recap: I need 1 bracket to relocate the alternator and 1 water pump for a 1961 Lark 259. I need these as fast as possible. Not overnight, but if they could be in the mail by monday at lunch, I'd be a happy camper. I have been reduced to driving my Pizza delivery car as my DD and as much as I like driving a 1990 model Mercury Sable, my Lark wakes me up at night just to go for a spin.

1961 Studebaker Lark VIII. 6x,xxx miles from the factory. Daily driven.

Good luck, and keep us updated on your progress! I'll be tackling a similar job someday...

And as always, we like any pictures you can share![8D]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

I'm a little confused.

A 61 never had an alternator. They were first used by Studebaker in '63.

The stock location for a generator (or alternator) in a Lark is on the upper left side of the motor as you are facing it (passenger side).

Where is your alternator mounted now? What kind of alternator is it?

Obtaining a stock '63 Alternator and mount would not be real difficult, but it sounds like you have custom set up now that will require further customization.

Maybe some pictures would help.

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

I agree with Dick that an original alternator mount for a '64 or '64 would not be hard to source and may be what's on your car. I would think the OEM A/C brackets and pulleys would be the way to go. This set up usually costs about $200 (at least that's what I paid). Vintage air also sells a bracket that's used with the Studebaker brackets to mount a new style Sanden compressor (using R134a).

Parts Needed:

Studebaker compressor bracket
        Vintage Air compressor bracket
        Sanden compressor
        Studebaker idler pulley & bracket
        3 grove crank pulley
        5 or 6 blade cooling fan
        fan clutch

You can get a good idea from the picture of my engine as it came...

This engine was out of a '64 Cruiser.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
        1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

The car was converted to an alternator at some point in the last 40+ years. It sits in the original generator location, right next to the passengers side inner fender.

I want to move it up and to the right from the picture that was posted. Does anyone make a relocation bracket, or do I need to start fabbing one of my own?

1961 Studebaker Lark VIII. 6x,xxx miles from the factory. Daily driven.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by aucyrano

I want to move it up and to the right from the picture that was posted. Does anyone make a relocation bracket, or do I need to start fabbing one of my own?
            You'll need to fab your own. If you want store bought stuff, it might be easier to leave the alternator where it is and buy the Vintage Air mounts for the compressor.

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
            X