Detroit Studebaker Plant demo photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detroit Studebaker Plant demo photos

A vendor that I buy some photos from, sent me these pictures of the Scotten Ave. Studebaker plant. The information on the back of the photos said that the demolition occured starting in August 1938 and continued through the fall of 38.

I sent the pictures to Richard Quinn and he identified the building and sent me a Mapquest location. Here it is.

Leonard Shepherd

Neat post Len... looks like they were disassembling the building with some care vs. the "wrecking ball" approach.

<h5>Mark
    '57 Transtar Deluxe
    Vancouver Island
    </h5>
    Mark Hayden
    '66 Commander

Comment

I agree with Mark, I wonder if they recycled the bricks and other materials?

http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

Interesting photos indeed, Lenny; 'glad your vendor kept you in mind. BP[^]
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Leonard, I assume that these were the EMF facikities in Detroit that Studebaker assumed ownership of in 1910 when they purchased EMF. Is that a correct assumption?
          sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

quote:Leonard, I assume that these were the EMF facikities in Detroit that Studebaker assumed ownership of in 1910 when they purchased EMF. Is that a correct assumption?
            I assume it is, but I am trying to find out more.

I emailed the pictures to Richard Quinn and this is what he sent me:

Leonard;

That building was in Detroit. The expert on auto company buildings in Detroit is Randy Mason. Check your March 1997 Turning Wheels. If you need Randy's email I can probably locate it. I am sure he could tell you exactly where it was and its specific use.

Of some interest: http://www.studebakerhistory.com/dnn...2/Default.aspx

That is Scotten Ave. Easy to find on Mapquest:

Richard Quinn

I have sent the pictures to John Penrice at www.StudebakerHistory.com
            and he is going to put them on his web site.

This is all I know. I would like to know more. My March 1997 Turning Wheels is at a different location, so I can't access it.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

Leonard: I had a lengthy conversation with Randy Mason just last week when he called. I don't think he'd mind your calling him, so e-mail me privately and I'll be glad to give you his current number. (And I concur with Dick; I can't imagine anyone knowing more about Detroit-area auto manufacturing facility history than Randy; he's a wealth of information and the nicest guy imaginable.) BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

One down, ten thousand buildings to go....
                Jeff[8D]

http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
                HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Those are some cool pics Leonard. The recycled material could have ended up as parts to make flying fortresses.

Gordon

Comment

Working...
                  X