PDA

View Full Version : One more trivia question - heaters

Scott
10-20-2006, 09:09 AM
Since I got such good answers about the wheels, I have another question I've sometimes wondered about. When was the first year Studebaker offered a heater in their cars?

Scott
10-20-2006, 02:36 PM
Gee, I didn't think this one would be so hard.

Scott
10-20-2006, 02:36 PM
Gee, I didn't think this one would be so hard.

Roscomacaw
10-20-2006, 03:24 PM
My books seem to indicate that '39 was the first year for the Climatizer option (heater-defroster).:D

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

Roscomacaw
10-20-2006, 03:24 PM
My books seem to indicate that '39 was the first year for the Climatizer option (heater-defroster).:D

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

John Kirchhoff
10-20-2006, 03:36 PM
I remember my dad saying the climatizer was a $76 option of the '60 Lark. Pretty expensive for a $2050 car.

John Kirchhoff
10-20-2006, 03:36 PM
I remember my dad saying the climatizer was a $76 option of the '60 Lark. Pretty expensive for a $2050 car.

mbstude
10-20-2006, 03:40 PM
AC was a $500[:0] option in 1958. (Something like that) I've seen/driven a '58 Golden Hawk that had it.

I'm not sure about heaters. Had to be pretty early though.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j209/mbstude/020avatar_river.jpg

mbstude
10-20-2006, 03:40 PM
AC was a $500[:0] option in 1958. (Something like that) I've seen/driven a '58 Golden Hawk that had it.

I'm not sure about heaters. Had to be pretty early though.

Scott
10-20-2006, 04:02 PM
Wow, do you really think Studebakers had no heat until 1939?? By then they already had self starters, radios, interior lights, cigarette lighters (probably), and who knows what else. If I had been an engineer back then, heat would would have been a close second to having an engine.

Scott
10-20-2006, 04:02 PM
Wow, do you really think Studebakers had no heat until 1939?? By then they already had self starters, radios, interior lights, cigarette lighters (probably), and who knows what else. If I had been an engineer back then, heat would would have been a close second to having an engine.

klifton1
10-20-2006, 04:44 PM
Come on guys, even F--d had a heater by 1928.
Klif

55 Speedster
42 Champ Coupe

klifton1
10-20-2006, 04:44 PM
Come on guys, even F--d had a heater by 1928.
Klif

55 Speedster
42 Champ Coupe

Skip Lackie
10-20-2006, 04:45 PM
1939 may have been the first year for a factory heater installation. Before that, if you wanted one, you had a universal heater installed by your dealer. Arvin was a famous brand that I've seen in lots of different cars. They were really nothing more than a small radiator core and fan in a box hanging under the dash. By the mid-30s, most had provisions for mounting flexible hoses to feed defroster outlets.
Skip Lackie

Skip Lackie
10-20-2006, 04:45 PM
1939 may have been the first year for a factory heater installation. Before that, if you wanted one, you had a universal heater installed by your dealer. Arvin was a famous brand that I've seen in lots of different cars. They were really nothing more than a small radiator core and fan in a box hanging under the dash. By the mid-30s, most had provisions for mounting flexible hoses to feed defroster outlets.
Skip Lackie

mbstude
10-20-2006, 05:36 PM
My grandad's (was mine) '51 2R16 dump truck has an Arvin heater. (Well, we removed it because the core leaks)
My Scotsman has an aftermarket unit, but I don't think there's a name on it. I have a Climatizer for it though.

mbstude
10-20-2006, 05:36 PM
My grandad's (was mine) '51 2R16 dump truck has an Arvin heater. (Well, we removed it because the core leaks)
My Scotsman has an aftermarket unit, but I don't think there's a name on it. I have a Climatizer for it though.

Roscomacaw
10-20-2006, 06:23 PM
As Skip says, until '39, stuff was added by dealers OR owners after the fact. Arvin was one such aftermarket and another one that was big was the South Wind brand. Some of them even were GASOLINE FIRED!!! instead of using engine coolant. Of course, the first year Corvairs (1960) used a gasoline-powered heater as Chevrolet was concerned that buyer would be unhappy with the slow warm-up time of the air-cooled engine. If I remember right, there were alot of complaints about the smell of the gas-powered heaters and so they dropped it after that first year.[8]

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

Roscomacaw
10-20-2006, 06:23 PM
As Skip says, until '39, stuff was added by dealers OR owners after the fact. Arvin was one such aftermarket and another one that was big was the South Wind brand. Some of them even were GASOLINE FIRED!!! instead of using engine coolant. Of course, the first year Corvairs (1960) used a gasoline-powered heater as Chevrolet was concerned that buyer would be unhappy with the slow warm-up time of the air-cooled engine. If I remember right, there were alot of complaints about the smell of the gas-powered heaters and so they dropped it after that first year.[8]

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

showbizkid
10-20-2006, 07:02 PM
quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Arvin was one such aftermarket and another one that was big was the South Wind brand.

Some of the mfrs got quite creative with naming aftermarket heaters. Two of my favorites are "HaDees" and "DeVil" :D

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
'63 F2/Lark Standard
http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

showbizkid
10-20-2006, 07:02 PM
quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Arvin was one such aftermarket and another one that was big was the South Wind brand.

Some of the mfrs got quite creative with naming aftermarket heaters. Two of my favorites are "HaDees" and "DeVil" :D

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
'63 F2/Lark Standard
http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

rockne10
10-20-2006, 08:48 PM
I have an under-dash heater that looks like it could be from the thirties. It has a Studebaker nameplate attached, mfg. by Tropic-Aire, inc. Model 2700-B, Serial No.10800. If my camera worked I could post a picture.

Brad Johnson
Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
33 Rockne 10
51 Commander Starlight
53 Commander Starlight
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g233/rockne10/51x2.jpg
previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser

rockne10
10-20-2006, 08:48 PM
I have an under-dash heater that looks like it could be from the thirties. It has a Studebaker nameplate attached, mfg. by Tropic-Aire, inc. Model 2700-B, Serial No.10800. If my camera worked I could post a picture.

Brad Johnson
Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
33 Rockne 10
51 Commander Starlight
53 Commander Starlight
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g233/rockne10/51x2.jpg
previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser

8E45E
10-21-2006, 03:33 AM
[quote]Originally posted by Scott

Wow, do you really think Studebakers had no heat until 1939??

For some reason, I thought 1936 was the first year of the 'Climatizer' heating system, but it could have been 1939. Just to clarify, after the Climatizer was introduced, Studebaker then offered TWO different types of heaters; the cheaper one being the box-type 'Ha-Deez' heater. How long Studebaker offered the box-type heater before the Climatizer came out is still open to research. And then for all one knows, Studebaker could have had the old hot-coal foot warmers on the option sheet going back to the late 1800's. The Climatizer was 'revolutionary' in the way that it drew in fresh outside air, heated it, and delivered it very efficiently for the time, and had all the controls on the dash. The box-heater only recirculated the inside air, and heat/defrost was controlled by adjusting the flaps on the unit itself. The Scotsman had the Ha-Deez heater as standard equipment, and with some RHD Studebakers, that was all one could get for a heater.

Craig

8E45E
10-21-2006, 03:33 AM
[quote]Originally posted by Scott

Wow, do you really think Studebakers had no heat until 1939??

For some reason, I thought 1936 was the first year of the 'Climatizer' heating system, but it could have been 1939. Just to clarify, after the Climatizer was introduced, Studebaker then offered TWO different types of heaters; the cheaper one being the box-type 'Ha-Deez' heater. How long Studebaker offered the box-type heater before the Climatizer came out is still open to research. And then for all one knows, Studebaker could have had the old hot-coal foot warmers on the option sheet going back to the late 1800's. The Climatizer was 'revolutionary' in the way that it drew in fresh outside air, heated it, and delivered it very efficiently for the time, and had all the controls on the dash. The box-heater only recirculated the inside air, and heat/defrost was controlled by adjusting the flaps on the unit itself. The Scotsman had the Ha-Deez heater as standard equipment, and with some RHD Studebakers, that was all one could get for a heater.

Craig

Skip Lackie
10-21-2006, 07:27 AM
I tend to agree that the parts book (especially one printed much later) might not list the box-type heater, since the items were not made by Studebaker, were dealer installed, the parts had never been stocked by Stude (and hadn't been available for years anyway).

Just for comparison, I checked an old Chevy parts book, and it shows heater parts as far back as 1934. Maybe GM made their own heaters, though I have a 37 LaSalle that has the box-type aftermarket heater.
Skip Lackie

Skip Lackie
10-21-2006, 07:27 AM
I tend to agree that the parts book (especially one printed much later) might not list the box-type heater, since the items were not made by Studebaker, were dealer installed, the parts had never been stocked by Stude (and hadn't been available for years anyway).

Just for comparison, I checked an old Chevy parts book, and it shows heater parts as far back as 1934. Maybe GM made their own heaters, though I have a 37 LaSalle that has the box-type aftermarket heater.
Skip Lackie

CHAMP
10-21-2006, 07:32 AM
I had a 73 V/W Thing that had a gas heater and it worked good. Much better than the hot air Bug heaters.

GARY H 2DR.SEDAN 48 STUDEBAKER CHAMPION NORTHEAST MD.

CHAMP
10-21-2006, 07:32 AM
I had a 73 V/W Thing that had a gas heater and it worked good. Much better than the hot air Bug heaters.

GARY H 2DR.SEDAN 48 STUDEBAKER CHAMPION NORTHEAST MD.

hank63
10-21-2006, 08:19 AM
I used to live in a rather cold place. My 1st Studebaker was a -64 Hawk and it's heater was pretty ordinary, to be polite. The VW petrol fired heater had a very high heat output, but needed to be in good "tune", or some startling things could happen (like blowing flames out of the heater exhaust).
Friend of mine had a Dodge -56 (sidevalve 6) - it's heater was superb, the car was quite warm inside, even at 25 below frost.
/H

hank63
10-21-2006, 08:19 AM
I used to live in a rather cold place. My 1st Studebaker was a -64 Hawk and it's heater was pretty ordinary, to be polite. The VW petrol fired heater had a very high heat output, but needed to be in good "tune", or some startling things could happen (like blowing flames out of the heater exhaust).
Friend of mine had a Dodge -56 (sidevalve 6) - it's heater was superb, the car was quite warm inside, even at 25 below frost.
/H

John Kirchhoff
10-21-2006, 09:44 AM
Hank63, you mentioned 25 degrees below frost, I assume you're talking Fahrenheit and below frost being below freezing? If so, that makes it 7F. I have to laugh, though not at you personally. My fiance is Australian and from Adelaide and most of you Aussies don't know cold. Hot, yes, but not cold. She was here last February and even though we had an extremely mild winter, she about froze to death! I don't know what she's going to do when we have a good old fashioned COLD winter with temps below zero Fahrenheit! But to your credit, you Aussies could set in the oven sharing a beer with our Thanksgiving turkey at 350 degrees and never break a sweat. Oh by the way, we can own all the pistols we want, buy all the fireworks we want and not be fined for failing to vote in elections! Ha, take that!!!

John Kirchhoff
10-21-2006, 09:44 AM
Hank63, you mentioned 25 degrees below frost, I assume you're talking Fahrenheit and below frost being below freezing? If so, that makes it 7F. I have to laugh, though not at you personally. My fiance is Australian and from Adelaide and most of you Aussies don't know cold. Hot, yes, but not cold. She was here last February and even though we had an extremely mild winter, she about froze to death! I don't know what she's going to do when we have a good old fashioned COLD winter with temps below zero Fahrenheit! But to your credit, you Aussies could set in the oven sharing a beer with our Thanksgiving turkey at 350 degrees and never break a sweat. Oh by the way, we can own all the pistols we want, buy all the fireworks we want and not be fined for failing to vote in elections! Ha, take that!!!