Studebaker-Hillman connection?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker-Hillman connection?

Did Studebaker have any connection to the British (and Canadian?) car-maker Hillman? I was watching the Beatles movie "Help!" and the Bad Guys were driving what up close looked like it was a 1959 Lark. I learned from The Internet Movie Car Database that it was a 1960 Hillman Minx (see below). On closer inspection, the differences are apparent, but at first glance, the rear end and roofline look very similar to a Lark. Coincidence, or some sort of business connection?

1950 Champion 4 Dr.
    Holdrege NE
    John
    1950 Champion
    W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
    Holdrege NE

The connection seems to be Mr Loewy:
    Visit:

Studebakerchile

Comment

I believe Loewy & co. designed the Hillmans starting in the mid-'50s; I can't be sure about that, but I believe it's true. I know they did the Humber cars of that era (such as the Super Snipe, Hawk [no kidding] etc.) which were also produced by the Rootes Group. This would've been a decade before Chrysler bought out Rootes. Humbers were somewhat larger with more of a mid-'50s Buick look to them, presumably to increase their appeal in the U.S., which was one of Rootes' largest markets in those years.

Jacob Newkirk - Owensboro, KY

KEEP AMERICA BEAUTIFUL! Drive a Studebaker!
      Jacob Newkirk - Owensboro, KY

KEEP AMERICA BEAUTIFUL! Drive a Studebaker!

Comment

Sure enough Ricardo! A forum search would've told me what I wanted to know. Thanks for the gentle reminder.

1950 Champion 4 Dr.
        Holdrege NE
        John
        1950 Champion
        W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
        Holdrege NE

Comment

Working...
        X