'Locked' Shifter -- help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Locked' Shifter -- help

I've recently inherited two 'projects' from my Father-in-Law, a '63 lark and a '49 Commander. I need to move the Lark, but the car is in 'Park' and I can't put the car into neutral. My F-i-L said he had to do something under the dash the last time he moved the car, but that was 12 years ago and now he can't remember...

I really have two questions, How can I 'unlock' the shifter so I can move the car? and What problems might a 'locked' shifter signify?

Thanks,

-Jake

PS - My wife was brought home as a baby from the hospital in the Lark, so I'd really like to get that one going

1963 Lark Cruiser
    1949 Commander Land Cruiser

Hi,someone else will know more about the under dash part of your shifter but you should be able to disconnect the shifter linkage at the trans and manually move the selector there if it is a linkage problem.Might be able to access it at the column under the hood or dash(not familiar with the lark setup but most have a tube with-in the steering column with an ear just above the steering box the linkage connects to,might be under the dash)Good luck with it,Steve
    sigpic

Comment

yes....I'd agree the best thing to do is get under the car and disconnect the tranny shifter clevis pin from the lever. Then make sure you can manually move the lever "down". If it won't move, you might have to drop the driveshaft and roll it , then inspect the tranny. My guess is the mounts have compressed and are causing a bind on the linkage....

Comment

Before you go crazy dropping anything, find two strong guys, and have them take turns lifting the rear and pushing it at the same time. Sometimes it takes a shove from the rear and also the front. There is a "pawl" in the tranny which locks it in Park, it is supposed to be rounded, but after many years it gets a sharp edge and will not move out of the lock position.

This has been a typical problem for a lot of guys.

Comment

I know this is a dumb thing to have to say, but before you get under the car to move any levers out of Park, be sure to block the wheels so the car will not shift off the jacks once the lever is moved. There can be some stored energy in the trans which may move the car once the lever is shifted. Be careful.
          sals54

Comment

YES! YES! YES!
            Thank you for saying this...
            So many times, a simple centering of the shift links will solve the problem...
            Let's not get anyone hurt in the process...
            Good question.
            Good replies.
            Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by sals54

I know this is a dumb thing to have to say, but before you get under the car to move any levers out of Park, be sure to block the wheels so the car will not shift off the jacks once the lever is moved. There can be some stored energy in the trans which may move the car once the lever is shifted. Be careful.
            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

How does a transmission store up, or hold power? I am confused.

Comment

Hey Jake,
                Are you pulling the lever toward you and then down out of park? I have seen people try this that are unfamiliar with older column shift cars.

Gordon

Comment

Bondo,
                  If the car is loading up on the trans, it is possible for the car to lurch once the lever is moved out of park. Have you never parked your car in such a way that when you moved the car out of park it lurched forward or rearward? That is all I'm saying. It may not have any effect at all, but for safety's sake, don't take chances with your life. You would be best off to put the car on jackstands on all four corners before moving the lever out of park. Then if there is any stored energy, it will move the wheels only and not the car.
                  sals54

Comment

quote:Originally posted by sals54
                    Have you never parked your car in such a way that when you moved the car out of park it lurched forward or rearward?
                    No, that is where my confusion comes in. Are tlaking about a transmission that has power being fed into it? I can't figure out how a transmission with no power being applied would hold power. Maybe I mis-read the statement.

Comment

It's just the terminology that's throwing you off. I believe the "stored energy" is nothing more than an internal wheel chock; that is, you put the car in Park on a hill and let your foot off the brake, and the car moves downhill a touch until the trans. holds it. Then if you try to pull it out of park the lever gives a lot of resistance, then when it releases, it leaps downhill (or against the brake).

Hope that helps.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                      Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

That's pretty much what I'm saying. But the trouble is, sometimes if things are locked up internally, and the brake is set or stuck, you can still unload some energy once the parking pawl is released.
                        sals54

Comment

BTW, How is this project going? We've gone on about the safety, but how is the car doing?
                          sals54

Comment

Working...
                          X