FOUND: 1963 Lark Skytop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FOUND: 1963 Lark Skytop

Hi all, I've located a 1963 Lark w/skytop 4 door w/V8 std trans don't know much about it appears complete but has been sitting outside for over 30 years so it's not "mint" the cloth of the top is mostly gone but the hardware appears to be all there . . as happens here rats have built nest inside and under hood the question is what's it worth? and is anyone interested in it? can provide pics and additional details . . Thanks in advance

You know it is really hard to answer a question about price when one has not seen the car. It would be great if you can post some pictures. Even to determine interest you've got to post pics. Please do that
    sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

If it's on the East Coast, maybe we can get BAMS to check it out. [}]

<h5>Mark
      '57 Transtar Deluxe
      Vancouver Island
      </h5>
      Mark Hayden
      '66 Commander

Comment

Provide the pics and details and we can make a better guess as to it's worth.
        4drs typically are the least sought after. With the rather rare Skytop option, this car would be worth a bit more. But I doubt it would substantially boost it's overall value since it's not something (the sunroof) that's actively sought after.
        If this thing's a real rust-bucket, the roof assembly might well be worth more than the car.[}]

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

For what it's worth (no pun intended), in the twenty years I've owned my '63 Skytop, I have only ever seen two four-doors with Skytops...Steven G. from Ontario's beautiful '62, and George Hamlin's '63. They're kind of the best of both worlds, open-air driving and four-door convenience and rear-seat room for those so inclined!

I'd like to see pictures, no matter what condition the car is in!

Bill Pressler
          Kent, OH
          '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Provide the pics and details and we can make a better guess as to it's worth.
          4drs typically are the least sought after. With the rather rare Skytop option, this car would be worth a bit more. But I doubt it would substantially boost it's overall value since it's not something (the sunroof) that's actively sought after.
          If this thing's a real rust-bucket, the roof assembly might well be worth more than the car.[}]

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President two door

Bill Pressler
          Kent, OH
          (formerly Greenville, PA)
          Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
          Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
          1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
          1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
          All are in Australia now

Comment

I don't see where you or the car are located.
            A guy that I worked with ordered a new 1961 Lark four door with Skytop. He also wanted it in Flamingo (that wasn't normally available except on Hawk and convertible models). It took awhile, but Studebaker finally made the car for him. The original owner just died recently. The last that I knew, the car was in upstate NY.

Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

If it's been outside for 30 years I doubt it has any value....no matter what state its in...I guess the skytop would be worth a couple hundred to the right buyer...

Comment

thanks for the replies the car is in central MO I'll try to get pics either today or tomorrow . . the owner passed away a few years back and his son lives there now and is getting rid of old vehicles, junk, etc. left behind . . I've sold a couple of cars on ebay for him (non-stude) and was just trying to get a ballpark guesstimate if it would be worth the time and trouble of ebay or trying to arrange a private sale or treat it as a crusher so it can be reincarnated as made in china walmart trash

Comment

quote:For what it's worth (no pun intended), in the twenty years I've owned my '63 Skytop, I have only ever seen two four-doors with Skytops...Steven G. from Ontario's beautiful '62, and George Hamlin's '63. They're kind of the best of both worlds, open-air driving and four-door convenience and rear-seat room for those so inclined!

I'd like to see pictures, no matter what condition the car is in!

Bill Pressler
                  My friend, Sam Miller, cut off a Skytop from a 4 door 61 Lark, and I sold it. It now belongs to Paul Warta.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

While we're on the subject, anyone have any experience restoring the mechanism or the top material? I know about Paul's site, but there's nothing there about restoration.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                    Parish, central NY 13131

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

here's a few pics of the car

Comment

OMIGOSH...a low-line Regal to boot. (Talk about one-of-one rarity; that's it!) BP
                        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

And although the condition is questionable, it appears most if not all of the "bits" are still attached to the car. [:0]

<h5>Mark
                          '57 Transtar Deluxe
                          Vancouver Island
                          </h5>
                          Mark Hayden
                          '66 Commander

Comment

Bob - Steve Gottfried in Kitchener, Ontario has had to work on his
                            Skytop a couple of times. He's now on his second top fabric. I believe the first one was stiff. He's not on the web but he is in the roster. Phone before 8 pm eastern. He'd be glad to answer questions.

Roger "153624" Hill

55 Champion
                            47 M-5
                            Izzer Buggy
                            Junior Wagon
                            Roger Hill

60 Lark Vlll, hardtop, black/red, Power Kit, 3 spd. - "Juliette"
                            61 Champ Deluxe, 6, black/red, o/d, long box. - "Jeri"
                            Junior Wagon - "Junior"

"In the end, dear undertaker,
                            Ride me in a Studebaker"

Comment

It'd be fun to see the production order on that car. I always liked Blue Mist.

Bill Pressler
                              Kent, OH
                              '63 Lark Daytona Skytop

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

OMIGOSH...a low-line Regal to boot. (Talk about one-of-one rarity; that's it!) BP
                              Bill Pressler
                              Kent, OH
                              (formerly Greenville, PA)
                              Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                              Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                              1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                              1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                              All are in Australia now

Comment

Working...
                              X