Question about glass???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about glass???

I have a question about the glass that I purchased a few years ago from a very well known studebaker vendor. I have just got to the point where I am ready to install some of the glass and I noticed some problems, or what I think are problems. One for example is on the vent windows.

On the drivers side vent glass it states:

P Tempered
    DOT-423
    AS2 M3 0202
    ANSI Z97.1-1984
    16 CFR 1201 CH

On the passenger side vent glass the text will be reveresed when viewing from the outside and it states:

DOT-423
    AS2 M4 1104

For the remianing glass the coupe windows has no text at all and the
    windows on the doors the drivers side is correct and the passenger side will be backwards when viewing from the outside. The front glass has nothing and the rear glass states "Lamenated Safety Glass" My question is, is this normal and correct or will I suffer greatly in the judging of my car? If so should I contact the vendor and should he make it good. He knew that I was building a factory correct car and it would be judged.
    Thanks

Domenic Manera
    1954 Regal Starlight Coupe
    Domenic Manera, Fire Chief
    City of York Fire Department
    York, SC 29745

having never judged, and politely never wanting to be, I would find it hard to believe that replacement glass of any era would be a point deduction. I'm going to guess that most of your glass is straight and could be cut around the corner from your house. Now if your glass is tinted, some of the original or different era replacement(s) might have a different hue (Shade)

Comment

Don't worry about the stenciling on the windows for judging unless you are doing one of the golf courses in Ca. Studebaker judges might balk at non safety glass, but stencils, forget it.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Bothcars4.jpg[/img=left]
      Tom Bredehoft
      '53 Commander Coupe
      '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
      (Under Construction) 170 hrs.
      '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
      All Indiana built cars

Comment

Thanks I was really worried that I was going to have to contact the vendor that I bought it from and go through the whole mess of trying to get it replaced with the correct stencils. Again thanks for the info.

Domenic Manera
        Domenic Manera, Fire Chief
        City of York Fire Department
        York, SC 29745

Comment

The factory often installed the glass with mismatched markings, some facing out, some in, and some actually a different vendor LOF vs PPG!

My guess is you have some old stock, and some newer, the first one is Jan 1984 stock.

StudeRich
          Studebakers Northwest
          Ferndale, WA
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
          X