This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some people should not sell!

Just a little annoying: 63 Wagonaire, $3-400 parts car. Listed on eBay with a stated $2000 reserve.

Same car is also here:

Oldride offering classic car classifieds, classic truck classifieds, old car classifieds, classic car part, classic truck part, classic car sales, buy classic car, old classic car.

Only here, it's $4000 or b.o... now missing headlights, but "only year made"[}]

An example of someone flailing about, just saying and doing anything that comes to mind, with no thought to correctness or accuracy... or even trying to determine realistic value[}][}]

The reason it annoys me is, when no one responds, this type usually decides everyone else is stupid- and takes it out on the car, sending it to the crusher; and forever taking it out of the hands of someone who could make use of it And of course, if you try to guide these people, they take offense and tell you YOU don't know what you're talking about[xx(][}]

Guess there's no cure for it...[V]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

quote:Originally posted by bams50

Only here, it's $4000 or b.o... now missing headlights, but "only year made"[}]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131
    Looking on the lighter side, you must admit that Studebaker did only make 1963 Wagonaire's for one year.
    As for the rest of your observations, while I agree with you that it is a shame, in most cases, people can dispose of their property how they wish. [B)]

All we can do is attempt to gently "educate" them. [:X]

<h5>Mark
    '57 Transtar Deluxe
    Vancouver Island
    </h5>
    Mark Hayden
    '66 Commander

Comment

It could also be that the seller has been "schooled" by a well meaning friend who believes the car is worth more than it actually is.

Cars are not like buying and selling pork belly futures. There are all kinds of bad information, emotion, history, opinion, etc. involved. This applies more to older cars than newer ones, but I'll bet you've seen your share of the above selling newer cars too, Bob. . It does make it fun and interesting (at times ) but can also be annoying to say the least. Fact of life in the car world, unfortunately.

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

There is a 63 GT Hawk with about 20,000 miles on it, not 5 miles from me. It had the transmission go bad in the 70's and sat with the front 2/3rd's under the porch, the rear sticking out. Still shiny paint under the carpets, rear 1/3 is rusted away. I've stopped by about once a year trying to see if he'll come off his 10K price, but it's now reached parts car status. He also has a C-K with a nail head Buick and Speedster dash under the patio, both cars have been waiting 30 plus years for him to work on them.

JDP/Maryland
        JDP Maryland

Comment

Still sitting to this day in Crawfordsville IN AFAIK:

Car #1: 1964 Bermuda Brown Daytona 4-door, of all things; VIN 64V11104. Factory R1/4-speed, with the original drivetrain intact and operable...but just barely. 'Just about to rust in two; one good hop over a railroad crossing might cause the frame to separate at the front mounts of the rear springs.

Car #2: Mediocre 1965 Commander Six 4-door, about half as rusty as the Daytona.

'Owner had great visions of combining the two to make one car, but neither is really worth building on.

However, his long-time buddy in Crawfordsville is the retired Buick dealer, and advised him some time ago that the pair was worth $7,000. [:0] Whaddya gonna do? [?][xx(] BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

It could also be that the seller has been "schooled" by a well meaning friend who believes the car is worth more than it actually is.

Cars are not like buying and selling pork belly futures. There are all kinds of bad information, emotion, history, opinion, etc. involved. This applies more to older cars than newer ones, but I'll bet you've seen your share of the above selling newer cars too, Bob. . It does make it fun and interesting (at times ) but can also be annoying to say the least. Fact of life in the car world, unfortunately.

It wasn't the misread of worth that got me so much in this situation; we see that all the time. It was the inconsistency between the two listings How do you make one listing for $2K and on for $4K at the same time, in two different places? At best it shows total carelessness; at worst it shows disrespect for the buying public as a whole- as if buyers are so stupid (or lazy) they never look at more than one source, so let's see which idiots jump in first

"There are all kinds of bad information, emotion, history, opinion, etc. involved. I'll bet you've seen your share of the above selling newer cars too, Bob."

Actually, I almost never have to deal with these things. My inventory comes almost exclusively from new car trades. All are hand-selected by me or my brother. Whether managers at dealerships or car auctions, we are well-known, and have been for years. They know I know what I'm doing, so opinion is limited. And these cars are not owned by the sellers individually, mostly have been owned less than a week; so emotion and history are non-issues. Same with bad information, with regard to value; it is accepted that the auctions are the correct and best determiner of value. Part of the business is constantly studying the market and knowing the value, whether buying, selling, or pricing a customer's trade-in. There is no room to be "in love" with a vehicle, so the value is professionally determined using a constant stream of actual data.

Actually completely different from the classic car arena. Everyone in the chain knows what a unit is worth, regardless of whether you like the vehicle or not. The only real speculation is whether that particular vehicle (or type of vehicle) will be what's saleable in your business. This is a constantly moving target, and is what keeps me fascinated with the business

Parish, central NY 13131

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

BTW, on the subject of used cars and drifting off topic. My used Benz did not seem to blow blowing cold air from the AC, so I picked up a can of 134a and put it in. I heard a hising sound and called Jeff over to investigate. It seemed to be coming from the condenser in front of the radiator, not a cheap repair. I looked at my 1000 mile warranty and noticed the AC system was not covered and figures I was screwed, but took it back to the dealer. They had it for a day, called me to report they had replaced the condenser, and recharged the system, all at no charge.
              It was nice to know a used car dealer would do the right thing, even if it technically was not a warranty item.

JDP/Maryland
              JDP Maryland

Comment

About ten years ago I was introduced to a woman whose deceased husband had 2 '63s, a lark and a cruiser. He had bought the cruiser new and found the lark with 35k in a garage. The owner had used it to park by braile but no serious damage. He bought it to fix his. When he died she wanted to sell but was told that the cars were worth 5k. Nothing less. I thanked her and moved on. A couple years later her handiman ran into me and said she would like to see me. A tree had fallen on the lark. By then her health had deteriorated and she was depressed. She remembered me well and we talked several times but I told her that the cars were only worth about $300 to me but if I heard of anyone looking I would tell them about the cars. Nobody else was interested either. I really had no interest in them at the time. Eventually she called me and asked me to take them as they would just rot away. My kids helped me move them and one of the boys liked them, so I said I would help him if he wanted them. A couple years later he went aff to Alaska and I ended up with them, unfinished. I am getting the Cruiser fixed up pretty well now so I guess the original intent is being fulfilled. When they come to visit they drive them now.
                I guess what I am saying is make an offer and leave a number, you never know if they will realize the true value.
                If someone bids 200 on that car and thats it, then thats what it's worth at that point. It is sad to watch them decompose as the years go by. Uniformitarianism demonstrated. :-(
                Rob

Comment

Its not just Studes, this seems to happen with all manner of old cars. Locally it seems to be happening with real estate - the general public has never been good at pricing anything to the market.

I agree that the best thing to do is to nicely leave your number and just say that "it is only worth $xxx to me, I wish you the best - please give me a call if no one offers more".

Sometimes the starry eyed seller passes on without ever finding the $xxxx buyer - and the heirs take one look at the derelict pile and call the scrap metal man.

Thomas

Thomas

Long time hot rodder
                  Packrat junk collector
                  '63 Avanti R2 4 speed

Comment

although not a Studebaker, I watched a 61 Pontiac Bubbletop virtually rot into the ground. A real 389 tripower 4spd posi car, when I first saw it it looked like a driver. The guy bought it new and was in the middle of a 40 Packard resto, and the 61 was to be next. I called and stopped by atleast once a year sometimes more, and it was not for sale. Fast forward 10 years, the packard is almost done, the car is still setting outside now with 2 broken windows, tripower stolen, its been hit a few times by the snowplow while clearing the lot, and he'd consider selling it.
                    I went and looked at it, alot of rust,and missing trim that rotted off the car and was either run over, blown away by the wind, or consider debrise and thrown away. And the price was ridiculous. I told him I could not pay the asking price and I didnt want to upset him with my offer since we were so far apart. He said his kid thinks its ugly, and he knows what the parts are worth and that was his reason for the asking price. He has my # maybe someday he will call, or his kid before it gets hauled off to the crusher.
                    Its a shame, that some things rot into the ground, but what can you do, they own it, its thiers to let rot away to nothing if they so choose..........and if they dont want to sell, or have unrealistic expectations based on the knowledge of a friend maybe thats why they are rotting into the ground in the first place..........

hmmm, my girlfriend has 2 GT Hawks....and I feel left out, wheres my "R" model Daytona????

Comment

How's this for different looks at it:

1. Sustaining the dream is worth more than the offer. Some owners in their mind already see the car as finished and themselves as taking home the trophy.
                      2. Better to keep the car than take the loss of money and pride. They paid too much for the car at purchase and it has deteriorated significantly since. Rather than admit poor judgment and lack of self discipline to restore it, they brush off market price offers.
                      3. Their only source of psychic income. A local SDC member had three desirable parts cars. He was in poor health and would never have the money to do anything with them. However, at any SDC meeting or show, he could depend on one or more members asking, "Interested in selling?" He had something others wanted and that was worth more to him than the money.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
                      PackardV8

Comment

quote:Originally posted by PackardV8

Those are great, Jack...and I think spot on.

Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Comment

Jack, for a lot of folks you are spot on. I have a friend that finally sold his parts inventory that had come from dealers he bought out 30-40 years ago. No matter how much anyone would beg, he would not part with anything because he needed it for "his cars".(which he never worked on) Once his cars had rotted into the ground, he finally sold the entire stock.
                          i finally quit asking when he refused to sell me 20 feet of the over 100 feet of NOS windlace he had coiled up in his shed. The vendor that bought his stash had to throw it all away after it got rock hard. He did get a lot of attention at flea markets with parts requests even though he never brought any NOS parts to sell, and refused all offers. I recalled seeing the stuff I'd helped him box up from a dealer stock in the early 70's that he had never touched and packed just as I'd left it.

JDP/Maryland
                          JDP Maryland

Comment

From the two sides of the situation I had my 54 Coupe down for several years some time ago. People would often come by and ask if it was for sale. My response? "I'm gonna fix it up some day." I'm sure many of them drove away thinking, "What a waste." Now its a driver, and has been for decades. Still not done, nor will it ever be, cuz its my hotrod.
                            Now from the other side. I knew a guy who had a 66 Satelite (I think, its the one thats the same body as the GTX), anyhoo, the trans went out on it. This was one of the nicest cars of its type I'd ever seen. In fact it was basically a GTX without the badging. Bucket seats, console shift, full gage package. Just as nice as you could want. He thought the car was worth more than anyone would give him, so ended up giving it to the recycler. UGH.
                            I hope the recycler had the good sense to put a $100 transmission in it and enjoy it.
                            sals54

Comment

quote:Originally posted by PackardV8

1. Sustaining the dream is worth more than the offer. Some owners in their mind already see the car as finished and themselves as taking home the trophy.
                              2. Better to keep the car than take the loss of money and pride. They paid too much for the car at purchase and it has deteriorated significantly since. Rather than admit poor judgment and lack of self discipline to restore it, they brush off market price offers.
                              3. Their only source of psychic income. A local SDC member had three desirable parts cars. He was in poor health and would never have the money to do anything with them. However, at any SDC meeting or show, he could depend on one or more members asking, "Interested in selling?" He had something others wanted and that was worth more to him than the money.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
                              I'll second Steinkamp's motion; those are excellent, Jack.

For better or worse, #3 is probably the most common as folks age and it becomes obvious they'll never "get around to" restoring any of the disintegrating iron on hand. But it is a guaranteed source of attention and conversation until they can no longer converse...and at that point, the parts or cars are of zero value to the owner because the owner has extracted, as Jack says, all the psychic retirement income possible before passing away.

(Psychic Income: Good terminology, Jack.)

Nonetheless, it doesn't hurt to ask. People's situations change and, as we've all seen, it's the guy who last made the inquiry in the course of staying in touch that most often winds up with the goods! BP
                              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Working...
                              X