Radio Problems - Help Needed!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radio Problems - Help Needed!!

I have a '53 Land Crusier with the original 6 volt system. A radio has been installed in the glove compartment using a converter from 6 to 12 volt. An outside antenna was installed. The radio works fine and the signal is strong, but when the engine is running there is still interference. A standard Pep Boys/Radio Shack type noise filter doesn't do the trick. Any suggestions?

Don Juday
    LaGrange Park, IL
    ncjdlj@aol.com
    1953 Land Cruiser

HAD SAME PROBLEM: NEED SUPPRESSION PLUG WIRES AND CONDENSER ON COIL AND GENERATOR.

HAYWARD/60 LARK
    PIKEVILLE,KY.
    US COAL CAPITAL

Comment

The interference is likely related to ignition spark radiation. Unplug the antenna and see if it goes away and then notice if the static changes with engine speed.
      If so, and since there may not have been a radio in the car previously, you may not have resistor type spark plug wires, and /or the coil may not be shielded well.
      Fix is to put in new resistor wires.

I chased this problem on a 69 Alfa when I added a radio. Tried to filter the input line with an LC filter which helped not at all until I changed the spark wires to resistor type. Usually, the interference doesn't enter through the 12 volt line due to the low impedance of the battery.
      A Faraday Shield, temporaraly place around the coil body using Aluminum foil may help
      but be careful not to short the conections. Hope this helps.

Dick Curtis
      Santa Barbara
      The 1950 Champion Starlight
      Santa Barbara
      CA

Comment

A 2-way radio shop could probably tell you how to or fix it for you. I used to do this all the time when I sold CB radios. And the suggestions on electrical parts above are correct.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

The Studebaker Radio installation kit included a braided ground strap to ground the hood to the body, a ground strap connected to a bare section of the oil pressure gauge copper tubing on the right side of the firewall, and a Generator, Voltage Reg. and Coil Resistor, all grounded with these and Resistance Plug wires you could not miss! [^]

I would still try the Resistance Plug Wires first though, because in 1954 they used solid copper plug wires, if they had IRS Wires then, some of that stuff may not have been necessary.

StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

The Studebaker Radio installation kit included a braided ground strap to ground the hood to the body, a ground strap connected to a bare section of the oil pressure gauge copper tubing on the right side of the firewall, and a Generator, Voltage Reg. and Coil Resistor, all grounded with these and Resistance Plug wires you could not miss! [^]

I would still try the Resistance Plug Wires first though, because in 1954 they used solid copper plug wires, if they had IRS Wires then, some of that stuff may not have been necessary.

StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
            Here is a page from the Studebaker-Philco Radio Manual where it addresses Ignition Interference Elimination

Comment

Thanks for all of the responses. They are certainly appreciated and I will follow through with them. Will post here on my success.

Don Juday
              LaGrange Park, IL
              ncjdlj@aol.com
              1953 Land Cruiser

Comment

Working...
              X