barn find 60 champ pickup NEED HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• barn find 60 champ pickup NEED HELP!

Hello everyone, I'm completely new to studebaker and this weekend found a 1960 shortbed step side champ pickup at a yard sale. the truck has been in the same family since it was purchased new and has been parked since 1982. the owner told me the truck was kept at a family owned cabin and only used a couple weekends a year and that the 26k on the odometer was correct. he also told me that it was running fine but overheating badly when parked. well , I bought the truck and brought it home and then realized the motor was stuck. figured I would go ahead and pull the head and see if hopefully it just had light surface rust holding it from turning. unfortunately 2 of the cylinders had 26 year old standing water in them and get this,... it had 4 completely burnt up exhaust valves.. I mean so burnt up that they looked like a pizza with on slice missing! so much for the "26k original miles" I figure. anyway. the truck has a flat head 6 and Im very curious what size it is . I found a couple different numbers on the block . looks like IE20I4I or might be 1E20141 and the other number is 15489657. I was considering rebuilding this block but would sure prefer to find someones good running take out motor which was removed when they decided to repower with something else. I feel the truck is well worth repairing . its extremely strait with perfect trim and glass and is I believe completely rust free. it has a rear sliding window and the spare tire is up on the rear fender. its even original paint and the original bumpers are strait at a pin. if anyone can figure out exactly which motor I have here I would sure be greatful. also any leads on a good running replacement would also be very helpful. if not, maybe some leads on afordable motor rebuild parts because I will most likely need EVERYTHING..... thanks for any help! Gregg

You should have a 5E5 truck with a 170 cu. in. engine. The numbers started at 1E18301 for that year.

Comment

Hi Greg. Welcome to the Forum. As previously posted, sounds like your Champ has the 170 L-Head 6. 1960 was the last year this engine was used as the switch was made to an OHV 6 in 1961. Others will chime in and you may be able to find a decent replacement motor. You should consider doing a couple of things first:

Join the SDC - gets you a great monthly magazine where many Vendors offer their wares. You can even join online:

You can check out the Stude vendors online as well:

First items you should get for your Truck are both the Parts and Service manuals available from many vendors either in paper or CD. Essential as most Vendors sell item by their Studebaker part numbers. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress - Post some pics when you have a chance.

<h5>Mark
      '57 Transtar Deluxe
      Vancouver Island
      </h5>
      Mark Hayden
      '66 Commander

Comment

Last I heard SASCO still had some NOS blocks for sale. Tell us where you are located. Someone nearby can probably help. I have a good running spare motor. I am in So. Ga. NT

Neil Thornton
        Hazlehurst, GA
        '57 Silver Hawk
        '56 Sky Hawk
        '51 2R16 dump truck
        Many others.

Neil Thornton

Comment

I'm sorry, I'm in sacramento California. thanks for the replies and the info. so is this 170 flat head motor fairly common? took me 3 hours to remove the motor last night. looks like it will need a bore job, oversized pistons, rings , all valves, complete valve job, all gaskets an seals, water pump, fuel pump kit , carb rebuild kit, head surface, pressure plate , clutch, throw out bearing, front and rear seals for the tranny. havent had the pan off yet but I would imagine bearings throughout and will need the crank turned and with this many burnt valves I would imagine they were never adjusted and were held open so the cam is probably shot as well. I think this motor is a bit far gone. yea it could surely be done but with its repair goes away any sign of the fair price I got on the truck. I would rather go back original but if it isnt meant to be and I cant find a complete running replacement motor I may have to go with a repower. hoping someone will chime in who has a real good runner sitting wrapped up on the garage floor. or... if someone is considering a repower and you arent too far away and the motor to be replaced is still in the vehicle I can probably even come to you and carefully remove your motor in a couple hours.

Comment

That engine is VERY common. And good thing for you, a great source for a replacement motor (and help) is one of our forum members, Sal. There's also quite alot of Stude "presence" in the Sacto area, so you could probably easily attend a club function and get an idea of where a good engine might be (if Sal doesn't have a line on one).

Welcome to the forum, join SDC!

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe
            1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Welcome ...you'll enjoy that ' 60 I know I sure do .
              You didn't mention if it had a overdrive tranny in it but if it doesn't you may want to consider one while you have it apart.
              Good luck with your project !

HOME of THE FRIED GREEN TOMATO
              "IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1950 2R5
              1960 Champ
              1964 Daytona HT
              sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

anyone out there with a spare motor? I have cash burning a hole in my pocket. anyone??

Comment

bump

Comment

My Dad has one in 'storage' down here in San Diego~

I don't think he 'needs' it for anything...

Hit me up offline.

StudeDave [8D]
                    V/P San Diego County SDC
                    San Diego, Ca

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

'54 Commander Regal 4dr 'Ruby'
                    '57 Commander DeLuxe 2dr 'Baby'
                    '57 Champion Custom 2dr 'Jewel'
                    '57 Parkview 'Betsy' (she's a 2dr wagon...)
                    '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
                    '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'
                    StudeDave '57
                    US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                    SDC Member since 1985

past President
                    Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                    San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                    San Diego Chapter SDC
                    North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

pm sent last night. still looking for a good running flat head 6 motor for my poor old truck . anyone?

Comment

Sorry for not paying attention- the motor here is an OHV six...

[:0] [V] [B)]

StudeDave [8D]

StudeDave '57
                        US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                        SDC Member since 1985

past President
                        Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                        San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                        San Diego Chapter SDC
                        North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

He would probably like that one better anyway, as long as it runs.

Comment

is it complete with everything including carb , exhaust manifold, distributer ,fly wheel and would it bolt right up to my frame and 3 speed flat head tranny?

Comment

We need pictures. Lots o pictures.....

Comment

Working...
                              X