PDA

View Full Version : Will any Chevy drums work on 53 Studebaker front?

stude53
10-18-2006, 11:10 PM
I have a Chevy Camaro posi rear and Chevy rear drums in my 53 Starliner and regular Stude drums up front. I'd like to run Chevy wheels and drums on all four wheels, and a Chevy spare.

I may go to disc brakes later, but the drum brakes work fine for now, and I don't drive the Stude very much. I have a Chrysler Sebring for daily driver.

[img=left]http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j259/stude53/studesmall2.jpg[/img=left]Bob Feaganes (stude53)
53 Starliner Hardtop
Newton Grove, NC

sbca96
10-19-2006, 12:50 AM
So you have the "Ford" 5 on 4.5 in the front, and "Chevy" 5 on 4.75 in
the rear. I'm not aware of a "Chevy" drum that fits the Stude spindle,
but I DO remember talking to Dave at Steeltech some years ago, and he
mentioned a "police car" Chevy rotor that he was having redrilled to
use with his front disc brakes. Now, at first you might think what
does that have to do with drums? Logic would let you assume that the
car that disc came from MIGHT also have been available with drums, and
if one hub (disc) fits .. the other(drum) should too! You might send
Dave an email, and see if he still has that info. It would be a late
60s early 70s car, and I remember the bearings need to be swapped with
the Stude number bearings. Unfortunately, thats only half the battle.
Once you find that drum, you need to get it to fit the Stude backing
plate and shoes. There is no guarentee. It might be easier to find
new axles for the GM axle that have a Ford bolt pattern, OR have your
existing axles/hubs drilled to except a Ford pattern. You could also
use the same idea in the front, having the Stude drums drilled to a
"Chevy" bolt pattern. They just add more studs between the existing
ones already in the hub. If you are dead set on all "Chevy" having
your Stude drums redrilled might be the easiest way to go! That way
you are not re-engineering the fitment of brakes you could upgrade.

A few things to consider.

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: 97 Z28 T-56 6-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires

StudeRich
10-19-2006, 12:57 AM
I don't know if you have a Commander V8 or Champion 6 but it probably does not matter because nobody I know of, has ever even tried to save those old Lockheed eccentric adjuster type of brakes and switched to any other type of drum, certainly NOT Chev. mainly because most '53's have Stude/Dodge/Ford rear wheels 4 1/2 in. on 5 pattern, and they want them to match. The best drum brakes would be the '54 to '66 V-8 complete assemblies, but of course that does not help your C***y in the rear problem![:0]:(

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

stude53
10-19-2006, 10:05 PM
Thanks,everyone for your responses. I thnk all things considered, I'll go with Tom's solution for now, and I quote "It might be easier to find new axles for the GM axle that have a Ford bolt pattern, OR have your existing axles/hubs drilled to except a Ford pattern."

[img=left]http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j259/stude53/studesmall2.jpg[/img=left]Bob Feaganes (stude53)
53 Starliner Hardtop
Newton Grove, NC

stude53
10-19-2006, 10:06 PM
Thanks, everyone for your responses. I thnk all things considered, I'll go with Tom's solution for now, and I quote "It might be easier to find new axles for the GM axle that have a Ford bolt pattern, OR have your existing axles/hubs drilled to accept a Ford pattern."

53 Starliner Hardtop
Newton Grove, NC