First day out..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First day out..

It may not be a major day for those of you any points west and south of here, but I actually got my car out of storage ten miles from here and got to DRIVE it for the first time since November! Two primes and it fired right up. The salt washed off the roads recently with a few good rains, the snow piles shrank to nothing that were drooling on the roads and parking lots and it was finally warm and clear today. Anybody else get to do that today and how did it feel?

Got out for a good run on April 1st when I took him into work (about 35 miles one way) for his inspection. Lots of FUN! [8D][^] Tomorrow, the monthly club meeting is the next outing. although with the forecast, it's a good thing he's got working wipers.

<h5>Mark
    '57 Transtar Deluxe
    Vancouver Island
    </h5>
    Mark Hayden
    '66 Commander

Comment

I meant to comment on that color combo before..incredibly beautiful. Very sharp truck. You guys to the North know what this day means!

Comment

Well, I was gonna drive (white lightning) the hardtop today but rain & wet roads don't COINCIDE my lead foot (bad traction) and will mess up the pristine (read show quality) undercarriage that I've worked so long & hard to achieve!

Maybe it could be called a "trailer queen" but I like to drive it TOO much! (drivers club)
        GABOY

Comment

I have put almost 2000 miles on my 66 commander sence the first weekend of jan. Weather has been nice here in lower Alabama. Doug M

Comment

quote:Originally posted by barnlark

It may not be a major day for those of you any points west and south of here, but I actually got my car out of storage ten miles from here and got to DRIVE it for the first time since November! Two primes and it fired right up. The salt washed off the roads recently with a few good rains, the snow piles shrank to nothing that were drooling on the roads and parking lots and it was finally warm and clear today. Anybody else get to do that today and how did it feel?
            I did. I started the '53 and backed it out of the barn so I could put away my snow blower (that I didn't use at all this winter). I drove the '53 around the meadow to warm up the tranny. I can't take it on the road right now as a front wheel cylinder let go and I'm strongly considering upgrading the brakes as long as I have to work on them anyhow (still has the original weak '53 self-adjusters). I had the keys for the convertible and wagon in my pocket too and was going to drive them, but got on to other things and didn't get back to them. Today is rainy so I probably won't get to them today.

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/R-4.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64L.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64P.jpg[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/53K.jpg[/img=right]Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
            '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
            '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
            '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
            Museum R-4 engine
            1962 Gravely Model L (Studebaker-Packard serial plate)
            1972 Gravely Model 430 (Studebaker name plate, Studebaker Onan engine)
            Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
            '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Just like you, I got the Lark wagon out on Sat. (4/5). First time the banks got down far enough to get it out. Re-connected the battery, pumped the gas half a dozen times, and she fired right up in maybe 3 revolutions[^]

Pulled it out, let it warm up for about a minute, and took off up the road. Ran good, O/D worked just fine, brakes felt good.

Still the only one of my Studes that's accessible; but the rest of the snow should melt down this week!

Looks funny- roads clear and dry, same for the driveway, but these big banks still around[xx(]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
              Parish, central NY 13131

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

Mine is straining at the leash, however, it has no seats! Makes it difficult to drive. The weather is fine, here in Houston, but sitting on a crate is getting old. Maybe next week.

Comment

We got ours out Saturday and Sunday. I washed and waxed her before we went out yesterday. Then today after we got back, I wiped her down and put the cover back on. Hopefully I will be able to get her out again on the 12th for a show.

Carey
                  Packard Hawk

Carey
                  Packard Hawk

Comment

darn, that's a pretty Packard Hawk.

JDP/Maryland
                    JDP Maryland

Comment

Thank you very much! Coming from you, that means a lot![8D] She is definitely Dad's Baby, and ours!

Carey
                      Packard Hawk

Carey
                      Packard Hawk

Comment

Oh, you guys are killing me...

Betty the Lark will probably emerge on or about April 18, right after my parents return from the cruise they're on (an early 50th anniversary celebration). But this past weekend here was gorgeous and I saw lots of old cars while driving round.

Ironically it was my parents' Montana van I was driving. Dino the Neon, the car that by not dying a year ago enabled me to indulge my desire for a Studebaker...has very possibly died now, a year later. Major engine trouble, on an 11-year-old car with zilch resale value. So there was me driving round in the van...shopping for cars...! I shoulda got the Stude out a week earlier. Cool, though, that one way or another there will probably be a week or so during which my only driveable ride will be Betty the Lark! Still can't wait...

S.

Comment

I second JP's remark..that is one beautiful P Hawk. I have a black and white photo from my grandfather's past car miseries and that Ford is one of them..except his was burned up after a drunk hit him from behind and it rolled down an embankment. Glad to see both of those still alive and out on a warm spring day..
                          quote:[i]Originally posted by Dads Baby

[/font=Comic Sans MS]

Carey
                          Packard Hawk

Comment

My new 63 convertible will be here Saturday morning, Sal is getting my Avanti Tuesday and I'll be playing in poker tournament tomorrow, my retirement life is busy, but fun.

JDP/Maryland
                            JDP Maryland

Comment

We are supposed to get 4-6 inches of snow today.Car fun is still a ways off.
                              Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

Working...
                              X