Turned my Shop into a Spray Booth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turned my Shop into a Spray Booth

As some of you have followed I pulled my 289 back in January preparing to install a R2 engine into my Hawk. It took a lot of cleaning the 44 years of oil off the frame. With the engine out and the frame cleaned, I thought I should paint the firewall before I installed the R2. I tried the Rustoleum/ Tremclad thing but that was way too much work. Paul Cronkwright (SDC member)offered to come over and paint the firewall with his equipment but I need to get a compressor before that could happen. I wound up buying a big compressor and HVLP spray gun, Paul did come over and give me the painting lesson. I then struck out on my own and did not do so well with the black paint... I had a few drips and had to sand just the firewall down again the inner fender were just fine. Looks like I had success today.

This is what happens when you buy a compressor and then you buy a media blaster. You start blasting every part you have!

1964 GT Hawk R2 Clone
    Oakville, Ontario.

Hamilton Chapter
    See you at Niagara 2008 Crossroads Zone Meet July 18-20
    1964 GT Hawk
    PSMCDR 2014
    Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
    PSMCDR 2013
    Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Hey Al ...looks good ...you'll be paintin everything before ya know it <g>

HOME of THE FRIED GREEN TOMATO
    "IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1950 2R5
    1960 Champ
    1964 Daytona HT
    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

That looks great. We had a fan in the garage that moved 2 0r 3000 ft of air every minute when we were prpducin model trains. I did the same thing you did with the drop cloths and used the old screen door between the laundry room and garage as an airfilter by putting furnace filters on the screen door. Opened up the door to the back yard and had a great spray booth for the car. Neighbors never noticed the green paint on the bushes but the Snow Cap bushes in the middle of summer gave it away. Hope you are using a good resperator?

Comment

Don't ya just love getting new toys and it ain't even Christmas?

David Baggett '53 coupe

Comment

runs on the firewall and inner fender are nothing to worry about... I bet more than a couple cars left the factory that way!

that said, a bead blaster and a HVLP gun in the same garage is a dangerous combination if you have a penchant for detailing stuff! (but it does make for a nice looking car.)

nate

--
          55 Commander Starlight
          --
          55 Commander Starlight
          http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

NOTHING like experience to help you find your way! (and it looks good!!)
            GABOY

Comment

Working...
            X