PDA

View Full Version : Pan gasket application

hopinfox
04-05-2008, 11:16 AM
Hello all, I've dropped the pan off my 64 Hawk in an effort to repair oil leak. I have searched this forum and carefully studied work shop manuel but am a little confused as to best way to apply pan gasket. Is it best to put the gasket on pan flange or to glue to engine flange first and let dry then put pan on? Thanks to all!

M.hopinfox/Kennesaw,Ga.
62 Hawk
63 Champ
64 Commander
64 Hawk
jealous wife

N8N
04-05-2008, 11:26 AM
first of all, the gasket will fail if you do not get the flange perfectly straight. That said the gasket you will get from your FLAPS is very thin. I could not get mine not to leak even after hammering all the bolt holes with a ball pein hammer (they were pulled in probably from a PO's attempt to stop a leak by overtorquing) ended up not using a gasket at all and simply siliconing the whole thing. That resulted in a leak free installation.

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

hopinfox
04-05-2008, 12:24 PM
Thanks Nate. I've got a cork gasket from Stude International. It seems pretty thick. Thanks for comeback!

M.hopinfox/Kennesaw,Ga.
62 Hawk
63 Champ
64 Commander
64 Hawk
jealous wife

wally
04-05-2008, 01:11 PM
I've had good luck on Brand Xe's using cork gaskets(make sure they are fresh and not shrunk or deformed)and thoroughly coating them with high-tack gasket cement and positioning them on the flange, then let the sealer partially dry or get "tacky", meaning it draws threads when you touch it. Fill the corners with a little extra, too. Not so much that it runs into the crankcase, though. I make sure the pan rail is straight, and use thinner to degrease the block flange and pan first, where the gasket will set. It glues and seals the gasket in place. Go around the pan and tighten the screws gradually, and don't over tighten.

"You Can't Have Everything--Where Would You Put It?" ---comedian Steven Wright

hopinfox
04-05-2008, 02:39 PM
Wally, first thanks for the advice but WHICH flange are you putting the gasket on: the engine flange or the pan flange? I think you mean the engine flange. Thanks!

M.hopinfox/Kennesaw,Ga.
62 Hawk
63 Champ
64 Commander
64 Hawk
jealous wife

N8N
04-05-2008, 03:21 PM
ah... I don't know why but in my initial reply I was thinking transmission pan on a FOM/Powershift not the engine oil pan. for the engine oil pan follow the shop manual, you will need to do some creative trimming if you are only replacing the pan gasket as the whole mess is designed to be installed with the filler block and rear main cap off. I forget exactly what you need to do but just work slow and have some sharp razor blades handy and it will be all good. Fill the gaps with either silicone or permatex no. 2. If you use silicone don't use any more than you need because loose cured silicone floating in the oil pan is bad juju.

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

hopinfox
04-05-2008, 07:08 PM
Thanks Nate, I will also replace rear main seal as per manuel but was wondering on which flange it would be best to put engine pan gasket: engine or pan.

M.hopinfox/Kennesaw,Ga.
62 Hawk
63 Champ
64 Commander
64 Hawk
jealous wife

Dan Timberlake
04-05-2008, 07:55 PM
Carefully detail pan face (flatten, gently reverse dimpled bolt holes). Flat file block face and chamfer bolt holes. Thoroughly wipe clean the block face and pan face. Generally I stick the gasket to the pan, valve cover, etc with high tack or something similar. Then put a very thin film of Permatex super gray for insurance, but easy future removal on the block side of the gasket.

hopinfox
04-06-2008, 06:49 AM
Thanks Dan, Got it!

M.hopinfox/Kennesaw,Ga.
62 Hawk
63 Champ
64 Commander
64 Hawk
jealous wife

doug
04-06-2008, 06:17 PM
If you "glue" the gasket to the pan, it is much easier to clean next time then "gluing" it to the block.