Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti 289 Rebuild

Hello all,
    I just sent my 289 R-1 motor to the machine shop that is going to do the rebuild on this motor. I did quite a bit looking and networking for a place and these folks come highly recommended. I had a great conversation with the owner and I'm confident they will do the job I'm looking for. So,with that being said,I'd be interested to hear if there is anything I should have done or ,not done, that isn't mentioned in the Shop Manual or elsewhere,for this build.I'd really apprieciate to hear from those who have been there and done that. Richard

Richard, if you don't have it, I'd recommend that you also purchase Stan Gundry's book "[u]</u>What the Shop Manual Won't Tell You". I think you may find some additional information in there that is extremely helpful.
    sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Thanks AvantiDon,I bought that at the same time I got the Shop Manual and Parts Book. I've thrown that into the rebuild mix as well. Richard

Comment

Richard,
        Most of the rebuild of an Avanti V8 is much of the same as most other engines of the era. The only item I would be sure to double check before they button up the short block is the galley plug inside the distributor shaft. There is a plug (like a freeze plug) on the rear of the dist shaft hole. Behind that is the galley plug. It is peculiar to Studebakers and there has been talk here on the forum about that having been misplaced after a rebuild. In other words, some have forgotten to replace that plug. If that happens, you car will run extrememly well for a few minutes until the oil pressure is bled off into the distributor shaft hole and the main bearings will fry due to lack of oil. Sorry for being so wordy. Just make sure they know about it. Good luck.
        sals54

Comment

Thanks for the heads up on that one!I should be back over there in the next day or two and I'll bring that up. Richard

Comment

Working...
          X