Need Radio for my 53 Commander

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Radio for my 53 Commander

I want to get an NOS, if possible. Any recommendations?

Tim-53 Custom Starlight aka The Studebird in beautiful Yuma, AZ
    Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom in Yuma, AZ
    jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection

Isn't there one on E-Bay as we speak???

Comment

NOS Radio - from the fifties???[B)]

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I knew an NOS radio was probably a pipedream, but it never hurts to ask. Again, any recommendations for a source?

Tim in Yuma, AZ
        Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom in Yuma, AZ
        jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection

Comment

Not that I see on ebay......There is the vendor in TW"s
          Dan Skidmore 310 398 7431 (plandd at verizon.net) in L.A.
          Says he has most from '41 to '66

glen Brose - Perkinsville, AZ

Comment

Sorry, I missed the NOS. No NOS that I know of. May be one in the Valley of the Kings.

Comment

I have one I bought for my 53. Not NOS. I later found out it did not come with a radio (build sheet) and I am not going to use it. I was told it had been rebuilt and played. I haven't tested it, but I will if you are intrested. Also, do you know if it is fact that the 53 radio did not have the civil defense locations and the 54 did?

Tex in Alabama
              53 C Coupe

Tex E. Grier

Comment

Should you find a NOS radio, I'd not hook it up without having a "antique" radio guy go through it and replace all the wax dipped paper capacitors and either "reform" or replace the electrolytic filter capacitors. The vibrator may have corroded points too and not work. If the radio works at all after sitting >50yrs (good chance not), there is a excellent chance something would fail in short order. Those old wax capacitors are known to deteriorate with age regardless if used or not. Electrolytics even more so if not used.

I have a factory 8 tube radio in my '53 bought at a swap meet. Looked darn near new and must have been removed from a car when not too old and stored somewhere dry. Had bad filter capacitors and the vibrator had to be opened up and the points sanded to get it to play all all. As long as I was into it, I replaced all the wax capacitors. Then I bought a transistor version of the vibrator for better reliability. I have used it for several show seasons now w/o any problems at all.

Some years ago I fixed up a friends '55 chevy radio from a field car that mice had gotten into. After the mouse damage, I think I had to replace every one of those wax capacitors before it would work decently. The more humid the storage, the faster they go bad since the wax is not perfectly sealed and moisture gets in them. That old chevy had been in the woods for probably 25yrs or more.

There are a number of websites for vintage electronics repair and restoration. The Stude radios from that era were made by Philco.

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

I have saw a NOS Tucker radio with box at an antique store in Hot Springs, AR about three years ago.

Gary Sanders
                  Nixa, MO
                  President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
                  Gary Sanders
                  Nixa, MO

Comment

New Tucker radio's are not rare, they made 1000's in anticipation of production needs that did not materialize.

JDP/Maryland
                    JDP Maryland

Comment

There should NOT be Civil Defense symbols on 1953 radios (too early).
                      I had four or five of these radios with my parts lot that I sold to Bill Cathcart in 1991. You might check to see if he has any left (they do not fall into his normal type of items).

Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                      X