PDA

View Full Version : Is there a trick way to do it

midnight1957
10-17-2006, 09:29 PM
Hi, I am working on a 57 silver hawk. I have to put the washers and spring clips on the bottom of the drivers side window. There is very little room and it also has a spring on the post that the washer and spring clip go on. I can't seem to find the trick to doing it, PLEEEEEASE help.

Thanks,
Wade

Roscomacaw
10-17-2006, 09:51 PM
I can relate to your woes but it really isn't THAT bad of a job.

Regulator rolled down, window gently slid down and pins inserted into the channel slots... get comfy (In my case, maybe even lying on a creeper or and old blanket) and squeeze the spring-loaded pin into the slot - slid the bevelled washer onto the protruding post and snap the clip on umtil it seats in the groove on the tip of the pin! Heck, I have more trouble getting them OFF than reistalling them.[}:)]

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

midnight1957
10-17-2006, 10:07 PM
quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Regulator rolled down, window gently slid down and pins inserted into the channel slots... get comfy (In my case, maybe even lying on a creeper or and old blanket) and squeeze the spring-loaded pin into the slot - slid the bevelled washer onto the protruding post and snap the clip on umtil it seats in the groove on the tip of the pin! Heck, I have more trouble getting them OFF than reistalling them.[}:)]

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

midnight1957
10-17-2006, 10:09 PM
quote:Originally posted by midnight1957

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Thanks Mr. Biggs, do you slip them on from the side or from the top of the post, these clips are new and maybe a little stiff?

Thanks,
Wade
Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

Roscomacaw
10-17-2006, 10:40 PM
Either way will work but from the side might be less of a fight.;) Of course, from the side means you have to hold that washer/channel/spring trio well compressed with one hand while working the clip on with the other. Using the direct approach, you can use BOTH your index fingers to pop the clip/washer duo onto the post while pushing the base of said post with both thumbs. Sorta like pinching the whole mess together until you feel the clip snap into the groove!
Make sure the channel slots are nicely greased with white (lithium) grease when you're done.[^]

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe