This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 58 4dr Sedan Question

If you remove the headlight pods, how hard would it be to change to single headlights? I prefer single, and have seen them, I think, on Scotsman models.

I've begun to like the idea of creating a finned 58 pickup, and 4drs are more easily found as donor cars.

[img=left]http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j259/stude53/studesmall2.jpg[/img=left]Bob Feaganes (stude53)
    53 Starliner Hardtop
    Newton Grove, NC

Bob,

There is a '58 President 4 door on e-Bay now sans motor which would allow you to drop in the R-2 block that Bigsy has.

Gary

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

Bob,

There is a '58 President 4 door on e-Bay now sans motor which would allow you to drop in the R-2 block that Bigsy has.

Gary

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

Bob, it's not just a matter of unbolting the pods and reverting to single headlites. There's differences to the fenders there and the hood accomodates the pods too![:I]

Miscreant adrift in
        the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Bob, it's not just a matter of unbolting the pods and reverting to single headlites. There's differences to the fenders there and the hood accomodates the pods too![:I]

Miscreant adrift in
          the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Like Mr Biggs said, removing the Pods causes troubles, because now the hood won't fit right, and they are what make the 58's so, uhh--distinctive! 58 Scotsman used the 7" sealed beam with the pods. Usually the headlight bezel was painted, but some were chrome. I had thought about using the 7"headlights with the pods on the Packebaker, since I have a nice set of the plated single-light bezels. It would require some work to the fender, I believe, using inner headlight mounting brackets from a scotsman or a 56-57, since the fender stamping is very similar and they used 7" sealed beams. But, maybe I won't if someone has a very nice set of 58 dual-headlight bezels they'll sell me. Sasco had 'em until about 5 years ago. I'll let someone else shed some "light" on this subject..... 58's are Classics, too! Well, Aren't they?

Comment

Like Mr Biggs said, removing the Pods causes troubles, because now the hood won't fit right, and they are what make the 58's so, uhh--distinctive! 58 Scotsman used the 7" sealed beam with the pods. Usually the headlight bezel was painted, but some were chrome. I had thought about using the 7"headlights with the pods on the Packebaker, since I have a nice set of the plated single-light bezels. It would require some work to the fender, I believe, using inner headlight mounting brackets from a scotsman or a 56-57, since the fender stamping is very similar and they used 7" sealed beams. But, maybe I won't if someone has a very nice set of 58 dual-headlight bezels they'll sell me. Sasco had 'em until about 5 years ago. I'll let someone else shed some "light" on this subject..... 58's are Classics, too! Well, Aren't they?

Comment

Hi
                The easiest way to put the 7" diameter single headlights in a '58 with the pods is to use the standard headlight buckets and rims from the '58 Champion, on which the dual headlight setup was optional in spite of having the pods on the fenders.
                Would love to see a '58 Packard fitted with a set!!!!!
                On the way Studebaker made those pods fit, they cut out sections on each side of the headlight openings of the '56-'57 fenders, welded a stamped plate to mount the duals on. I have seen a set of NOS at York that you can see all the modifications it took to do the pods. Also the '57 hood was modified at each front corner to accomodate the inside pod, think of all the cost for what the results were and what relatively few sales resulted!!!
                Steve

Comment

Hi
                  The easiest way to put the 7" diameter single headlights in a '58 with the pods is to use the standard headlight buckets and rims from the '58 Champion, on which the dual headlight setup was optional in spite of having the pods on the fenders.
                  Would love to see a '58 Packard fitted with a set!!!!!
                  On the way Studebaker made those pods fit, they cut out sections on each side of the headlight openings of the '56-'57 fenders, welded a stamped plate to mount the duals on. I have seen a set of NOS at York that you can see all the modifications it took to do the pods. Also the '57 hood was modified at each front corner to accomodate the inside pod, think of all the cost for what the results were and what relatively few sales resulted!!!
                  Steve

Comment

The easy way to do this is to find either a 58 Scotsman or a '57 sedan and use the entire doghouse. That's assuming your aim is to get away from the pods.

Miscreant adrift in
                    the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                    1960 Larkvertible V8
                    1958 Provincial wagon
                    1953 Commander coupe

Comment

The easy way to do this is to find either a 58 Scotsman or a '57 sedan and use the entire doghouse. That's assuming your aim is to get away from the pods.

Miscreant adrift in
                      the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                      1960 Larkvertible V8
                      1958 Provincial wagon
                      1953 Commander coupe

Comment

Thanks everyone for your answers. I just get these wild notions at times, and usually given time, they go away![:I]

If I ever find my coveted 54 Stude S/W, I'm still dreaming about a 53 Starliner nose. I know this entails either a custom fiberglass front clip, or a longer frame(but subframing with a Chevy Nova front frame would cure this). I once owned a chopped 53 coupe with a Chevy Nova subframe, and my current 53 starliner has a 350/350 combo with a Camaro 4:11 Posi rear in it, so modifieds and customs are not scary to me.

These days, however I usually end up doing the mods with software. Less work and expense.

But that SweptWing Pickup is singing a siren's song to me

[img=left]http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j259/stude53/studesmall2.jpg[/img=left]Bob Feaganes (stude53)
                        53 Starliner Hardtop
                        Newton Grove, NC

Comment

Thanks everyone for your answers. I just get these wild notions at times, and usually given time, they go away![:I]

If I ever find my coveted 54 Stude S/W, I'm still dreaming about a 53 Starliner nose. I know this entails either a custom fiberglass front clip, or a longer frame(but subframing with a Chevy Nova front frame would cure this). I once owned a chopped 53 coupe with a Chevy Nova subframe, and my current 53 starliner has a 350/350 combo with a Camaro 4:11 Posi rear in it, so modifieds and customs are not scary to me.

These days, however I usually end up doing the mods with software. Less work and expense.

But that SweptWing Pickup is singing a siren's song to me

53 Starliner Hardtop
                          Newton Grove, NC

Comment

<center>Then theres Roy & Shari Buchanan's 1958 Studebaker Scotsman Wagon.

Beautiful!!!
                            </center>

53 Starliner Hardtop
                            Newton Grove, NC

Comment

<center>Then theres Roy & Shari Buchanan's 1958 Studebaker Scotsman Wagon.

Beautiful!!!
                              </center>

53 Starliner Hardtop
                              Newton Grove, NC

Comment

Working...
                              X