PDA

View Full Version : Radiator hoses/belts '58 Packard Hawk

riversidevw
03-30-2008, 10:27 AM
Anybody have any interchangeability info for radiator hoses?

For '58, there were listings of #1545118 (upper hose) and #1545119 (lower) which were different parts than those for anything else, including '58 Golden Hawk (and the '58 GH upper hose was a different part than '57 GH!) Studebaker International has neither of the Packard Hawk hoses and no suggestions.

Stude International lists generator belt #529374 for the Packard Hawk (same part shared with '51-'58 V8 and a bunch of later GT Hawk applications). They also list #534302 power steering belt for "all" '55-58 V8's. Safe to assume this included Packard Hawk?

Any info out there about suitable radiator hoses? Thanks.

Gil

Riverside, CA

N8N
03-30-2008, 10:55 AM
I'm assuming the rad. hoses may have been different because the Packard Hawk had a different nose - if I were a betting man I'd guess that they used a late 55 C-K radiator in a Packard Hawk. However, they are different part nos, even for a stickshift... so I dunno. I'd try a 1542335 and 1539129 and see if they are close enough. Be careful though - there may be a good reason for the different part numbers. Do you have the original hoses? might want to send them off to be matched; I think someone did this with a 56J hose, sent them to Gates (I think?) and the guy there came up with a modern hose that could be cut to fit. Is the radiator inlet straight or curved off to the driver's side of the car to get around the shroud? if the latter I would get an upper hose for a '55 V-8 C/K (532454) and see if it could be cut to fit.

The belts should be the same, unless you have A/C.

good luck

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

N8N
03-30-2008, 10:56 AM
one more thought - if you're not doing a stock resto, you could always make your own hoses. I've seen both exhaust pipe bent to match the stock hose, and also a "hose" built up from pieces of copper DVW pipe soldered together (and then chromed, of course.) Connect at each end with short pieces of appropriately sized straight radiator hose, like you'd use a Fernco for plumbing.

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
http://members.cox.net/njnagel