Parts Loyalty - Local or Price?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parts Loyalty - Local or Price?

As the Daytona is going to be a hot rod, I knew I was going to assemble the engine and it's accessories with ARP engine fasteners. I went to the local parts place (Automotive Engineering in Tampa). The cost for just the bolts and washers (10, both in 5 packs) was $26. OK, this was something I expected. But then I was advised that there would be 'frieght' charges. How big a box are they senting??? I was then told that this cost could be up to $20-$25!!! I left a $26 deposit and left.

After I left I decided to see what Summit wanted for the same parts. Each 5 pack was $11.39 each. They had one pack in stock and would have to order the other. They charge $9.95 'handling fee' on sales under $100 and $11.95 for over $100.

OK, so the first thing I've learned to is figure out what fasteners I need for the 289 and order everything together. But here's my dilema; I like to support local suppliers when I can. Speed shops are becoming endangered and I don't mind spending a small premium to help keep places like this in business. But if the shipping difference is $15 (and this doesn't include the 7% sales tax and the 20 mile drive), when do you go to the big guy? At what amount does price matter.

Obviously we all make these decisions everyday. Do you shop at local grocery stores or Walmart?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $1956.13)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

They're charging you freight charges and you still have to drive down and pick them up at their store???

Comment

They're charging you freight charges and you still have to drive down and pick them up at their store???

Comment

What kind of engine fasteners could ARP possibly have that would be better than Studebaker, and actually FIT a Studebaker?

Are Studebaker special rod bolts something you can find in the hot rod Chevy. vendors performance parts?

Those would be the only fasteners that might stretch and need replacement in a Stude. unless you might have some overtightened head Bolts in your engine, and how could you find the special lengths Stude. used?

If you are planning to hit the drag strip every weekend and take it beyond 5500 RPM, it might matter! [:0]

StudeRich
        Studebakers Northwest
        Ferndale, WA
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

What kind of engine fasteners could ARP possibly have that would be better than Studebaker, and actually FIT a Studebaker?

Are Studebaker special rod bolts something you can find in the hot rod Chevy. vendors performance parts?

Those would be the only fasteners that might stretch and need replacement in a Stude. unless you might have some overtightened head Bolts in your engine, and how could you find the special lengths Stude. used?

If you are planning to hit the drag strip every weekend and take it beyond 5500 RPM, it might matter! [:0]

StudeRich
          Studebakers Northwest
          Ferndale, WA
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Last year I built a custom Harley. spent over $200 on bolts and nuts.[chrome and stainless]bought all locally,no shipping charges.

Oglesby,Il
            61Hawk "Studebaker? It must be hard to find parts for those!"
            Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Last year I built a custom Harley. spent over $200 on bolts and nuts.[chrome and stainless]bought all locally,no shipping charges.

Oglesby,Il
              61Hawk "Studebaker? It must be hard to find parts for those!"
              Oglesby,Il.

Comment

I guess I look at loyalty as a two way street. I generally try to buy my auto parts locally. Generally the local stores don't charge shipping they just have truck that delivers daily. The one's that don't, usually charge $6 T0 $7 for shipping. My point about the seller loyalty is that the bolts you describe would fit a standard Priority Mail Box, which is free at the post office, and would cost less than $5 to ship. I would not shop at a store that tried to charge me $26 for shipping.

Comment

I guess I look at loyalty as a two way street. I generally try to buy my auto parts locally. Generally the local stores don't charge shipping they just have truck that delivers daily. The one's that don't, usually charge $6 T0 $7 for shipping. My point about the seller loyalty is that the bolts you describe would fit a standard Priority Mail Box, which is free at the post office, and would cost less than $5 to ship. I would not shop at a store that tried to charge me $26 for shipping.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

Rich, it is a hot rod. They usually do hit the drag strip. When it comes to engines, especially built for power, I get the best fasteners I can get. Remember, the bolts in my engine have 44 years of use and abuse.

ARP will make the bolts you need if they aren't stocked. The bolts I ordered are normal stock for many places, just not the local one. Again, I was trying to give my local speed shop some business instead of using the hot rod version of Walmart.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Tom - Mulberry, FL

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

Rich, it is a hot rod. They usually do hit the drag strip. When it comes to engines, especially built for power, I get the best fasteners I can get. Remember, the bolts in my engine have 44 years of use and abuse.

ARP will make the bolts you need if they aren't stocked. The bolts I ordered are normal stock for many places, just not the local one. Again, I was trying to give my local speed shop some business instead of using the hot rod version of Walmart.

Tom - Mulberry, FL

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

I guess I'm lucky. I have Summit and Lakeland Nut and Bolt (80 year stock of rare nuts,bolts and fasteners) as my local vendors. Still, they almost added up to a second mortgage by the time I was done last fall...

Comment

I guess I'm lucky. I have Summit and Lakeland Nut and Bolt (80 year stock of rare nuts,bolts and fasteners) as my local vendors. Still, they almost added up to a second mortgage by the time I was done last fall...

Comment

And if you were to ask..
                            There is an ARP factory guy that is a Stude guy, and they already have all the numbers for a Stude V8.
                            I don't have his name handy, as I am slaving in Louisville...
                            Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Swifster
                            <snip>

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

And if you were to ask..
                              There is an ARP factory guy that is a Stude guy, and they already have all the numbers for a Stude V8.
                              I don't have his name handy, as I am slaving in Louisville...
                              Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Swifster
                              <snip>

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Working...
                              X