Vapor Lock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vapor Lock

I just added an electric pump near the gas tank. The pump will run 4 to 7 psi. The pump removes the vapor lock problem. What does 7 psi do to the carb? Any harm if I leave it on? It's 85 out today and a hill climb sets off the vapor lock problem. Kick the pump on and the vapor lock is gone in a very short distance, say 60 yds. Our fuel just got the 10% ethanol added this winter is a problem, it's 85 out today.

I wouldn't be surprised if we all have to go to electric fuel pumps to overcome the vapor lock problem caused by this newer formulation of gasoline in our older, carbureted vehicles. I know of two Corvair owners (dual carbs, and it gets pretty hot around them and around the fuel lines) that have problems with the vapor lock.

[img=left]http://simps.us/studebaker/misc/images/Avacar-hcsdc.gif[/img=left]
    Paul Simpson
    "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
    The Red-Headed Amazon
    Deep in the heart of Texas

Paul Simpson
    "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
    The Red-Headed Amazon

Comment

Wow, I'm really just a little embarassed to even ask, but what are the symptoms of vapor lock? I drove about 3 miles to a gas station to get gas for the first time after restoration, and after filling up and driving about another mile, the engine sputtered, gagged, stopped and started, and finally stopped in about 1/4 mile. Towed it home (which took about 15 minutes) and after it sat for about another 10 minutes, it started right up and I drove it into its' space. I have started it and let it idle for up to 30 minutes about 6 times since and had no problem with it running at an idle. I don't remember the temp that day, but here in West Texas, I wasn't wearing a jacket, so it must have been just above 70 or so. A nice day, but not over 80.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

Sounds like vapor lock-the under hood temp went up when you shut it off to fuel.Boiled the gas in the line,and you ran it till the carb emptied.

Oglesby,Il
        61Hawk "Studebaker? It must be hard to find parts for those!"
        Oglesby,Il.

Comment

search "return line" and "vapor lock" on this site.

BRAD

Comment

Jeff seems annoyed that people don't use the "Search" feature on this forum before asking (what they don't realize is) a common question around here.

Paul Simpson
            "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
            The Red-Headed Amazon

Paul Simpson
            "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
            The Red-Headed Amazon

Comment

Thanks guys. I am convinced that that was my problem now. And, I may have cured it. While working on the headlights and parking lights, I discovered that the body shop had not removed cardboard from behind the grills when they painted it. No air getting to the radiator and engine compartment. So the heat factor must have been the cause.

Comment

I'm guilty of not using the search tab at all times. Sometimes using search seems like going to a library for 8 hours. It's easier to post the question in a new post and get current info. The search info does yield more info. Tank cleaning is another popular topic and I usually refer to "search" tab for "Draino".....BRAD
                quote:Originally posted by DilloCrafter

Jeff seems annoyed that people don't use the "Search" feature on this forum before asking (what they don't realize is) a common question around here.

Paul Simpson
                "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                The Red-Headed Amazon

Comment

"the engine sputtered, gagged, stopped and started, and finally stopped in about 1/4 mile. Towed it home (which took about 15 minutes) and after it sat for about another 10 minutes, it started right up and I drove it into its' space."

'50 Champion, 1 family owner"

Welcome to the wonderful world of vapor lock. I had many problems with it on my trip to South Bend last summer. I believe I will be installing an electric fual pump this spring.

Gary Sanders
                  Nixa, MO
                  President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
                  Gary Sanders
                  Nixa, MO

Comment

I well remember when I was only about 5 years old traveling from Arkansas to Dalhart, Texas. My parents had a 1950 Champion that ran fine down the highway, but several times in town in the summer heat the car would just shut off. My dad would jump out, open the hood and pour some of the water from our cooler over the fuel lines and the engine would restart. A bit of a nuisance, but not too uncommon.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona. Searcy,Arkansas
                    "In the heart of Arkansas."
                    Searcy, Arkansas
                    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                    1952 2R pickup

Comment

How is that being annoyed?
                      Did you see a pithy comment attached to my follow up post?
                      People are here to learn and share the Studebaker experience.
                      People have taken a lot of their time and years of knowledge to share that information by writing meaningful replies to legitimate questions.
                      It is kind of a disservice to those efforts past to just discard it and ask the same question(s) again and again and again.
                      It is actually kind of lazy. But that isn't something that happens here now, is it?
                      As a knowledge resource, this is an awesome place.
                      So is the library.
                      Use the search function to find out what someone has already written.
                      But I will also provide this additional duplication of sought knowledge when a totally repetitive question a/o duplicate thread pops up. Totally free of charge, just to help the knowledge seeker.
                      (anxiously awaiting the next tire size and oil question)
                      Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by DilloCrafter

Paul Simpson
                      "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                      The Red-Headed Amazon
                      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Maybe the search and FAQ buttons could be made bigger for newbies to find. (or people who don't know about it!)

Comment

DDEPNHOCK, thanks for the links. I didn't think it was at all negative. I DO know about the search and have used it. My biggest problem with it is there is so much more off-topic comments than technical info. Which is something I absolutley love about this site. So, ... do I search and read a lot of other stuff, or ask and get an immediate answer. Tough situation to narrow down to a single answer in my mind.

So, thanks for the help, and I'll keep on 'searching', and I'll keep on reading, learning, and enjoying.

Don't care about the size of the buttons, but IMHO a glossary would be awesome.

Comment

Vapor lock, sometimes is not vapor lock. And you probably won't find this in the "search". I have had more than one occasion where what I initally thought was vapor lock was in fact a bad condensor. Don't hang up -- hear me out. I have been working on and restoring cars for years, and the first time this happened to me, I spent mega bucks and many hours trying to cure vapor lock. It always seems that when you stop a vehicle, and start again in a short period of time is when vapor lock occurs. This happens a lot with old cars. Short trips and stopping and starting. A condensor can have moisture saturation and do the same thing. So, if you have a reoccuring problem., Take a spare condensor and try it. I have never had vapor lock on a car with electronic ignition, but I have had it on one with a electric fuel pump. Just a tid-bit.

Tex in Alabama
                            53 C Coupe

Tex E. Grier

Comment

Working...
                            X