Fog light bumper guards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fog light bumper guards

Well, here we go again. Years ago, my wife and I bought a pair of fog light bumper guards at York for our '54 Commander Starliner. They weren't perfect, but the price was right...and they fit on the front bumper of a '54 K model that was outside. The worst part about them was that each one had a half-inch diameter hole in the top where someone had mounted a grille guard.

Having chrome redone is expensive; everyone knows that. So I kept my eyes open for another pair of those bumper guards that were better than the ones we already had. I found one at Reedsville a year or so ago and one on eBay. Both of them had the slot on the bottom of the guard -- that I thought was a key indicator that they were for C&K models.

Hey, we had a '55 President State Sedan parts car that had fog light bumper guards that didn't have those slots on the bottom, and I knew that they wouldn't fit our car.

So I had those more recently acquired bumper guards rechromed by Librandi's in Middletown, PA. They are absolutely gorgeous show chrome. The bulb holders went into them perfectly. But when I went to put them on the car this evening -- after my 5-year-old grandson helped me mount the front bumper -- guess what, those danged expensive rechromed pieces DIDN'T FIT!!!

So here's my question: are they from a 1955 car even though they have that blasted slot on the bottom (that wasn't on the bumper guards that were on the '55 that we had)? Here are some more photos:

Does anybody need a pair of show chrome fog light bumper guards WITHOUT the lamp holders? I have $360 in the pair and will entertain reasonable offers. If you're interested, please contact me off-list.

Kindest regards,

Alan Mende
    Hummelstown, PA
    Kindest regards,

Alan Mende
    Grantville, PA

I'm not a mechanic; I don't even play one on TV.

Were there not four styles ?
    thin bumper:

53-54 sedan
    53-54 coupe

late bumper:

55 sedan
    55 coupe

JDP/Maryland
    64 R2 GT (Sid)
    spent to date $62,839.60
    63 Daytona HT/4 speed
    63 Lark 2 door

JDP Maryland

Comment

Hi John,

That's what I thought, too, until I checked my parts catalog. There were only two for '53 and '54 -- left and right.

Alan
      Kindest regards,

Alan Mende
      Grantville, PA

Comment

Do the guards not fit the bumper contour? Or is the lower rear part of the guard hitting against the air intake panel?

Dwain G.
        Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Hi Dwain,

The guards don't fit the bumper contour.

Alan
          Kindest regards,

Alan Mende
          Grantville, PA

Comment

They must be '55 guards for the bigger bumper.

Dwain G.
            Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Working...
            X