PDA

View Full Version : edelbrock carb

len
10-16-2006, 06:51 PM
Can a edelbrock carb 500 cfm be installed on my 259 that currently has a WCFB installed. The car is a 55 speedster. If it can be installed on a stock manifold is there any problem with throttle linkage. Thanks for any info.

Roscomacaw
10-16-2006, 07:18 PM
Len, it won't fit that WCFB mount.:( You either need to find a manifold for an AFB or have one of the guys that modifys the WW manifolds to accept an Edelbrock. There's several guys doing those. Our own Jeff Rice (deepnhock) and there's a fella that sells thru Fairborn Studebaker Parts, one guy in Arizona and I met yet another in Omaha who lives in Texas.
By my thinkin', that 259's a bit short of lung to draw thru the carb you mention. I've heard good 'n bad from such useage. I've not tried it myself.[:I]

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

1956 Hawk
10-16-2006, 07:32 PM
I have seen adaptor plates to bolt an Edelbrock to a WCFB manifold, but they are hard to find. As far as a 500cfm on a 259, my dad put one on his Lark. It took some tuning to get it to run right, but it now gets better gas milage than with the Stromberg that was on it before.
David

DEEPNHOCK
10-16-2006, 07:55 PM
Yes, you can put this carb on, but not without a few gyrations.
Here's what you will need to do...
(note that there are choices, so not every option is the only option)

The secondary throttle plates will hit the stock WCFB bores, preventing the secondaries from opening.
You can:
A) put on an adapter that raise the carb.
(this will work, but it will bring hood clearance issues to you)
B) Put a heat insulating stacked gasket on.
(This will raise the carb just enough for the secondary throttle blades to clear, but you will have a 'step' in the secondary throttle bores that will cause some turbulence and limit total flow capability...but it will work)
C) Bore out your own secondaries.
(Tedious with a grinder, and expensive to have a shop do it).
D) Buy an already prepped (AFB ready) intake from one of the vendors. A prepped manifold will drop right on and the only mods you will need to make are to the choke tubes (to clear the secondary linkage) and a little trimming on the lower half of the throttle link to clear the intake port runner.
Try to go with an electric choke... It is so much easier to do, and it works good.
A good AFB will really perk up a Stude.
I have a complete set of instructions on how to do this, as well as a great AFB tuning guide, as well as some good AFB purchase info available via e-mail if you want it. Just be aware that the pdf files are quite large and will take some time to download if you are on dial up.
Good luck.
Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by len

Can a edelbrock carb 500 cfm be installed on my 259 that currently has a WCFB installed. The car is a 55 speedster. If it can be installed on a stock manifold is there any problem with throttle linkage. Thanks for any info.

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j54/deepnhock/Jeff%20Rice%20Studebaker%20Pictures/1937StudebakerCoupeExpressJeffRicee.jpg

DEEPNHOCK at Gmail.com
Brooklet, Georgia
'37 Coupe Express (never ending project)
'37 Coupe Express Trailer (project)
'61 Hawk (project)
http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock