Engine Numbers Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Numbers Again

On the flat head 6 in my Flight Hawk, there's a flat metal tag riveted to the side of the block just above the generator at the very front. This tag USED to have official-looking paint on it but there's not enough left to tell what it said.

On the same side of the block, below and in front of the distributor, there's the number 1548965. Is that just a casting number?

Thanks much!
    Rose

Fayetteville, AR

Yes, that tag used to say it's a service replacememt block and that's the part number for it.

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Yes, that tag used to say it's a service replacememt block and that's the part number for it.

Miscreant adrift in
      the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I was afraid you were going to say that. Bummer.

Thanks for the reply!

Fayetteville, AR

Comment

Thanks for the reply!

Fayetteville, AR

Comment

quote:Originally posted by OzarkPetunia

Thanks for the reply!

Fayetteville, AR
            Not really a bummer. There would be no increase in desireability or value if your Hawk had a "numbers matching" engine. Only with the really rare high performance models does this matter in the least.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by OzarkPetunia

Thanks for the reply!

Fayetteville, AR
              Not really a bummer. There would be no increase in desireability or value if your Hawk had a "numbers matching" engine. Only with the really rare high performance models does this matter in the least.

Comment

Rose, Are you just looking for the proper place for the engine number? It's a common question...

Comment

Rose, Are you just looking for the proper place for the engine number? It's a common question...

Comment

Allan, by the way, I think my matching numbers engine still "desires" to be with my car, but since it gave up in '71, I am letting it think about it's desirability a while longer while I use the 289..
                    quote:[i]Originally posted by Allan Songer

Comment

Allan, by the way, I think my matching numbers engine still "desires" to be with my car, but since it gave up in '71, I am letting it think about it's desirability a while longer while I use the 289..
                      quote:[i]Originally posted by Allan Songer

Comment

Well, it might be a tiny bit of a bummer, because the block casting number identifies it as a '59-'60 engine which is a 170 cid as opposed to the original engine's 185. That riveted tag probably looked like this, except the part number is most likely 1548990...

Dwain G.
                        Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Well, it might be a tiny bit of a bummer, because the block casting number identifies it as a '59-'60 engine which is a 170 cid as opposed to the original engine's 185. That riveted tag probably looked like this, except the part number is most likely 1548990...

Dwain G.
                          Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Pardon my 185 ignorance, Dwain, but is the 170 a more reliable engine, or a weaker replacement for her in the bummer category?

Comment

Pardon my 185 ignorance, Dwain, but is the 170 a more reliable engine, or a weaker replacement for her in the bummer category?

Comment

Working...
                              X