Is it True??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it True??

that buying a studebaker can make it hard finding parts to fix them, so it is big thing why people dont buy them? this lady is try to sell her studebaker she said it is soo soo hard to find the part to fix anything.

andrena

She is full of it.

Comment

She is full of it.

Comment

Absolutely NOT true!! I don't know where this comes from, but I hear it a LOT.

Truth is, Studebakers are one of the EASIEST brands to get parts for! There's probably more leftover NOS parts for them still available than any other single make. This is because Studebaker shut down rather suddenly, and so didn't have any time to let the inventory of parts dwindle down before they closed. And there are TONS of parts reproduced, and lots of stuff used around too!! Studebaker has a great network of parts vendors, and all can be found through this club.

Sure, there are a few odds and ends that are getting scarce, like taillight lenses for 61 Larks; but even those can be found.

If you like that Stude, buy it! We're here to help you find whatever you need[^]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
        Parish, central NY 13131

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that parking is a pleasure, traffic is a breeze, turning's no trick at all, and happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

Absolutely NOT true!! I don't know where this comes from, but I hear it a LOT.

Truth is, Studebakers are one of the EASIEST brands to get parts for! There's probably more leftover NOS parts for them still available than any other single make. This is because Studebaker shut down rather suddenly, and so didn't have any time to let the inventory of parts dwindle down before they closed. And there are TONS of parts reproduced, and lots of stuff used around too!! Studebaker has a great network of parts vendors, and all can be found through this club.

Sure, there are a few odds and ends that are getting scarce, like taillight lenses for 61 Larks; but even those can be found.

If you like that Stude, buy it! We're here to help you find whatever you need[^]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
          Parish, central NY 13131

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that parking is a pleasure, traffic is a breeze, turning's no trick at all, and happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

Over 20 years ago I also played with early 50s Dodges. Even then, the Dodges were much harder to find parts for and they were higher priced if you did find them.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona. Searcy,Arkansas
            "In the heart of Arkansas."
            Searcy, Arkansas
            1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
            1952 2R pickup

Comment

Over 20 years ago I also played with early 50s Dodges. Even then, the Dodges were much harder to find parts for and they were higher priced if you did find them.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona. Searcy,Arkansas
              "In the heart of Arkansas."
              Searcy, Arkansas
              1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
              1952 2R pickup

Comment

Here's a partial listing of vendors that sell parts for Studebakers...

Outside of some trim parts, anything you need to keep your Stude in tip top shape can be had from one of these vendors. Many common parts are available from your local auto parts store.

Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Comment

Here's a partial listing of vendors that sell parts for Studebakers...

Outside of some trim parts, anything you need to keep your Stude in tip top shape can be had from one of these vendors. Many common parts are available from your local auto parts store.

Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

I would go back and tell her that you have done some research and she is right, parts are scarce and high priced. Therefore, she needs to price her car accordingly as there is a risk that if something breaks it will be dead forever. It is time to put these rumors to good use. [}][8][}]

http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

I would go back and tell her that you have done some research and she is right, parts are scarce and high priced. Therefore, she needs to price her car accordingly as there is a risk that if something breaks it will be dead forever. It is time to put these rumors to good use. [}][8][}]

http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

That's right! If parts are as scarce as she thinks they are, she can't possibly expect you to pay top dollar for something that may leave you stranded.

Parts for a fifty-year-old Studebaker are much easier to find than parts for a fifteen-year-old Ford, Chevy or Dodge.

Not all parts, to be sure, but most parts.
                        Brad Johnson,
                        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

That's right! If parts are as scarce as she thinks they are, she can't possibly expect you to pay top dollar for something that may leave you stranded.

Parts for a fifty-year-old Studebaker are much easier to find than parts for a fifteen-year-old Ford, Chevy or Dodge.

Not all parts, to be sure, but most parts.
                          Brad Johnson,
                          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

The only scenario for that situaton to be true is if this gal's trying to buy everything thru some place like Kragan or NAPA auto parts. And there ARE folks that fight just such a battle! But a little bit of research on the net would eventually lead you to this club and the Stude-specific vendors that serve it.[B)]

I'd like to add that simply finding parts is only half the battle if this gal's having some shop do the work on her Studebaker. The other half of the battle is finding a shop/mechanic that is willing to work on, cares for what he's doing and has some first-hand knowledge about how cars of this era operated and were serviced. Believe me, having a uniform with the neat little "technician" patch on their shoulder, DOES NOT mean the person has a clue to the ways of the old and nearly extinct "mechanic". Since there's no computer in a Stude to plug a diagnostic machine to, today's parts changers don't have a clue as to REAL aout diagnosis. Beware.[}]

Miscreant adrift in
                            the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                            1960 Larkvertible V8
                            1958 Provincial wagon
                            1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

The only scenario for that situaton to be true is if this gal's trying to buy everything thru some place like Kragan or NAPA auto parts. And there ARE folks that fight just such a battle! But a little bit of research on the net would eventually lead you to this club and the Stude-specific vendors that serve it.[B)]

I'd like to add that simply finding parts is only half the battle if this gal's having some shop do the work on her Studebaker. The other half of the battle is finding a shop/mechanic that is willing to work on, cares for what he's doing and has some first-hand knowledge about how cars of this era operated and were serviced. Believe me, having a uniform with the neat little "technician" patch on their shoulder, DOES NOT mean the person has a clue to the ways of the old and nearly extinct "mechanic". Since there's no computer in a Stude to plug a diagnostic machine to, today's parts changers don't have a clue as to REAL aout diagnosis. Beware.[}]

Miscreant adrift in
                              the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                              1960 Larkvertible V8
                              1958 Provincial wagon
                              1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
                              X