Clement Studebaker and grave robbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clement Studebaker and grave robbers

I was just reading an article from an old English newspaper that reported that shortly after C. Studebaker died there an attempt by some men to steal his body and hold it for ransom. Apparently, guards interfered and there was an exchange of gunfire, whereupon the miscreants made it to a waiting getaway wagon and made off - without the body.

Has anyone heard this story before?
    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

quote:Originally posted by Scott

I was just reading an article from an old English newspaper that reported that shortly after C. Studebaker died there an attempt by some men to steal his body and hold it for ransom. Apparently, guards interfered and there was an exchange of gunfire, whereupon the miscreants made it to a waiting getaway wagon and made off - without the body.

Was it a Studebaker wagon?[?] BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Scott

Was it a Studebaker wagon?[?] BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Fact or fiction? If it is fact it had to be done while he was reposing at the funeral home as here is his gravesite

Automobile Manufacturer. In 1852, he partnered with his brother to build the H and C Studebaker Company, located in South Bend, Indiana, which built carriages and heavy, broad-wheeled covered wagons called Conestoga wagons. In time, the three other brothers joined the business and the name was changed to the Studebaker...
        sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Fact or fiction? If it is fact it had to be done while he was reposing at the funeral home as here is his gravesite

Automobile Manufacturer. In 1852, he partnered with his brother to build the H and C Studebaker Company, located in South Bend, Indiana, which built carriages and heavy, broad-wheeled covered wagons called Conestoga wagons. In time, the three other brothers joined the business and the name was changed to the Studebaker...
          sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

The getaway wagon was missing both a battery and body hold down...

Las Vegas, NV - Stop by, coffee's on!
            '51 Champion Business Coupe G899965 10G-Q4-1434

Comment

The getaway wagon was missing both a battery and body hold down...

Las Vegas, NV - Stop by, coffee's on!
              '51 Champion Business Coupe G899965 10G-Q4-1434

Comment

As soon as he gets home from work, I'm sure Leonard Shepherd will post a photo of the actual wagon.[:0] BP

Comment

As soon as he gets home from work, I'm sure Leonard Shepherd will post a photo of the actual wagon.[:0] BP

Comment

Yes, Bob. I remember hearing about this story before. For details we'll probably have to wait until Richard Quinn or Fred Fox responds.

Comment

Yes, Bob. I remember hearing about this story before. For details we'll probably have to wait until Richard Quinn or Fred Fox responds.

Comment

A similar attempt was made on Lincoln's carcass prior to his entombment in the present tomb, also unsuccessful.

Barry'd in Studes

Comment

A similar attempt was made on Lincoln's carcass prior to his entombment in the present tomb, also unsuccessful.

Barry'd in Studes

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Avantidon

There used to be their mausoleum right in that spot. I can't remember why it was removed. The long white "Studebaker" stone in the third picture was actually the stone above the doorway of their crypt.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Avantidon

There used to be their mausoleum right in that spot. I can't remember why it was removed. The long white "Studebaker" stone in the third picture was actually the stone above the doorway of their crypt.

Comment

Working...
                              X