Avanti II Ignition Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti II Ignition Conversion

I have a 78 Avanti II with 305 GM small block and distributer/points ignition. Would like to convert to electronic ignition system. Any info on brands, tips and lessons learned would be appreciated.

If you truly have a 1978 model Avanti, it should have a 350 engine. What is the serial number of your car? Has the engine been changed? It seems that if you have a later engine (305), you could just use an electronic distributor for a 305. Just don't go so new that you get into computer controls.

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Gary,

The Serial # of the Avanti is RQB2772.
      I checked PERTRONIX and they show their IGNITOR ELECTRONIC IGNITION kit for around $110. It says either 12 volt positive or 12 volt negative models single or double points. How do I tell if pos or neg
      and they show this kit for a CHEVY 305 engine. Is this block the same as the GM 305 engine ?
      Thx, Jerry

Comment

I would have thought the 78 sported an HEI ignition. I dropped one in my 1970 AvII and never looked back. That was many years (of troublefree service) ago..
        64 GT Hawk (K7)
        1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

You have a 12 volt, negative ground system, but I agree with 55Prez that you should already have a HEI system in a 78. GM switched to a HEI system starting with the 75 models. If you really do have points and a condensor, then either the distributor or the whole engine has been swapped for an earlier model. The engine number (located on a machined pad at the front of the block) would tell us the age of the engine, but nothing about the distributor.
          Skip Lackie
          Skip Lackie

Comment

Thanks for all the info. I just purchased the 1978 Avanti II in Las Vegas area and it is on the transport truck to my home in Ft. Lauderdale. When it arrives, I will checkout the engine serial # and look over all the components. It has Edelbrock manifold and 4 barrell carb with no emission system stuff on the car.I think the engine was redone in the 90's. Have no paperwork from that era, but I have the original odometer reading form of 15 miles from South Bend factory in 1978 with Arnold S. Altman signature and all the service forms upto early 1983.

Comment

Working...
            X