Steering column floor seal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering column floor seal?

When I took my '53 Coupe apart the column floor seal was screwed to the floor and the firewall pad was installed over it. No doubt this made a better seal but, aesthetically, I think the seal should go over the firewall pad. Anyone care to advise?
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

The two I've worked on, one 53, one 55 both had the pad on the firewall and the rubber seal on top of that. I think both were original.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Bothcars4.jpg[/img=left]
    Tom Bredehoft
    '53 Commander Coupe
    '55 President State Sedan
    (Under Construction) 136 hrs.
    '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
    All Indiana built cars

Comment

Just last week I installed a new firewall liner and new carpet in my 1960 Hawk along with a new steering column seal. No doubt in my mind that the steering column seal looks better covering the firewall liner. Leave your firewall liner unattached from the firewall as well as ths steering column seal so you can tuck your carped behind the firewall liner for a much better look as well as helping hold your carpet neatly in place. Then attach the firewall liner to the firewall with a sutable washer and metal screw because it will drive you nuts trying to hold it in place with the type of clips that held the original unless the engine is out of the car.
      If you haven't installed all of this yet be prepared to use all the patience you can muster because I assure you it will be needed! Hope this helps -- Jim Nichols

Comment

It was backwards. The rubber seal gos on over the pad.

Tex in Alabama
        53 C Coupe

Tex E. Grier

Comment

So what we've found out is that we now know why the floors rotted out? Laying the liner on the firewall before the seal would seem to direct water right to the floor without the help of snow covered shows and boots. I would think the seal would go first. This isn't a statement that I know how the cars were built, but this just naturally seem backward.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $1826.83)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
          1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Hey! Put one underneath and on top.That would resolve your issues with leaks and look stock.

Comment

Working...
            X