PDA

View Full Version : More ebay madness

JDP
03-17-2008, 03:31 PM
The Superlark Speedo sold for $605, the tach for $432. Something is going on, Dennis at SASCO had a great winter sales total too.

JDP/Maryland
64 R2 GT (Sid)
spent to date $62,839.60
63 Daytona HT/4 speed
63 Lark 2 door
57 Wagon

65cruiser
03-17-2008, 03:58 PM
Clones! It's finally hit the Studebaker market.[}:)]

Mark Anderson
Member SDC and FMCA
Keeper of the Studebaker Cruiser Registry
http://home.alltel.net/anderm

My next Studebaker is in the future, but now getting my hair messed up in a Sebring ragtop!
Almost as fun as a Studebaker!

http://home.alltel.net/anderm/images/sebring.jpg

65cruiser
03-17-2008, 03:58 PM

Mark Anderson
Member SDC and FMCA

My next Studebaker is in the future, but now getting my hair messed up in a Sebring ragtop!

62champ
03-17-2008, 04:31 PM
quote:Originally posted by JDP

Something is going on,

JDP/Maryland
64 R2 GT (Sid)
spent to date $62,839.60
63 Daytona HT/4 speed
63 Lark 2 door
57 Wagon

Just like gold and oil - people investing their money in things they know will hold their value in poor economic times. I think I might start looking for some AMC Gremlins - saw one a few weeks back that people had bid up to @ $6000...

<div align="left">1960 Lark VI</div id="left"> <div align="right">1962 7E7-122</div id="right">
[img=left]http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/62champ/car/8b0ac4c6.jpg[/img=left]
[img=right]http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/62champ/car/DSC02237.jpg[/img=right]

62champ
03-17-2008, 04:31 PM
quote:Originally posted by JDP

Something is going on,

JDP/Maryland
64 R2 GT (Sid)
spent to date $62,839.60
63 Daytona HT/4 speed
63 Lark 2 door
57 Wagon

Just like gold and oil - people investing their money in things they know will hold their value in poor economic times. I think I might start looking for some AMC Gremlins - saw one a few weeks back that people had bid up to @ $6000...

<div align="left">1960 Lark VI</div id="left"> <div align="right">1962 7E7-122</div id="right">
[img=left]http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/62champ/car/8b0ac4c6.jpg[/img=left]
[img=right]http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/62champ/car/DSC02237.jpg[/img=right]

61LaRk4dr
03-17-2008, 09:30 PM
Wow! It looks like us "orphans" have finally made the big time![:o)]

1947 Studebaker M-5
1948 Studebaker Land Cruiser
1961 Studebaker Lark 4-dr. Sedan
http://images1.filecloud.com/690439/untitled.JPG

61LaRk4dr
03-17-2008, 09:30 PM
Wow! It looks like us "orphans" have finally made the big time![:o)]

1947 Studebaker M-5
1948 Studebaker Land Cruiser
1961 Studebaker Lark 4-dr. Sedan
http://images1.filecloud.com/690439/untitled.JPG

bams50
03-17-2008, 09:48 PM
quote:Originally posted by 65cruiser

Say hello to a cloner!;)

I would love a Super Lark; my ultimate dream Stude! But even if I was willing to shell out what they're going for ($25-40K), they're just not worth it to me[xx(] I'd be too nervous about driving it anywhere...

Another reason: If I paid the price for a Super Lark, I wouldn't dare alter it to my taste; that means no 5-speed, or Dave T electronic ignition, or Skytop... and I better stick with the original colors inside and out, like them or not...

Those two reasons add up to- CLONE. I now have the r2, which I can put into my 62 Daytona, which I like a little better than a 63. It'll be mostly correct, but I may paint it other than the correct black, add a non-correct lifter cover, maybe a chrome alternator. The exterior will get the r2 badges that strike my fancy.

I had a choice; save the money or borrow, and wait for the real thing; or build one just the way I want, a little at the time- and for less money. And have the freedom to alter it as I choose- free from the stress of "show correct"[^]

I lost interest in the big 3 muscle cars just for the above reasons; the cost to own them sucks the fun out of using them. I see Yenko and Hemi Cuda clones drawing close to $100K, and originals getting... well, a LOT.[:0] Think A-level Studes are headed that way? Maybe. Just not for me;)

Wonder if the owner of JP's ex-r2 Lark bought that speedo...?

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that parking is a pleasure, traffic is a breeze, turning's no trick at all, and happiness is a thing called Larking!"

bams50
03-17-2008, 09:48 PM
quote:Originally posted by 65cruiser

Say hello to a cloner!;)

I would love a Super Lark; my ultimate dream Stude! But even if I was willing to shell out what they're going for ($25-40K), they're just not worth it to me[xx(] I'd be too nervous about driving it anywhere...

Another reason: If I paid the price for a Super Lark, I wouldn't dare alter it to my taste; that means no 5-speed, or Dave T electronic ignition, or Skytop... and I better stick with the original colors inside and out, like them or not...

Those two reasons add up to- CLONE. I now have the r2, which I can put into my 62 Daytona, which I like a little better than a 63. It'll be mostly correct, but I may paint it other than the correct black, add a non-correct lifter cover, maybe a chrome alternator. The exterior will get the r2 badges that strike my fancy.

I had a choice; save the money or borrow, and wait for the real thing; or build one just the way I want, a little at the time- and for less money. And have the freedom to alter it as I choose- free from the stress of "show correct"[^]

I lost interest in the big 3 muscle cars just for the above reasons; the cost to own them sucks the fun out of using them. I see Yenko and Hemi Cuda clones drawing close to $100K, and originals getting... well, a LOT.[:0] Think A-level Studes are headed that way? Maybe. Just not for me;)

Wonder if the owner of JP's ex-r2 Lark bought that speedo...?

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that parking is a pleasure, traffic is a breeze, turning's no trick at all, and happiness is a thing called Larking!"

wally
03-18-2008, 12:36 AM
Though EBAy is consistently the home of THE highest prices in the Universe for one mans junk, anothers' Treasure, it really is the Bling Bling Eye Candy Novelties like tachs, superchargers, chrome stuff, NOS R6 muffler belts, and emblems and other doo-dads that usually garner the insanely high prices. I figure it is causing problems by pulling swap meet prices upward, too. I have gone from really disliking EBay, to loathing it on account of that reason and the "improvements" they've implemented lately, such as hiding bidder id's, the way that the listing info pops up briefly and then disappears, etc. Too many smoke and mirrors slight of hand gimmicks. I also am toying with a theory that many sellers utilize shill bidders, and a few have even learned how to hack into EBay to manipulate it. Just Maybe. Another peeve is greedy sellers who want to have their cake and eat it in a so-called "Auction" environment with the safety net of "Reserves". Only the buyer assumes any risk, bidding on something sight unseen for cash over the internet! If a seller must have a certain price, then I believe they just should list it in a car trader magazine or Lemmings with their firm price, or at least have a Buy-it-now.. An "auction" on EBAy has the benefit of optimum exposure to the buying public, & gives buyers time to reconcile paying a higher than normal price. It is a sellers' dream. But, the reality of a real, bona fide auction is that the pool of willing buyers is what establishes the fair market value, NOT wishful thinking by the seller! They shouldn't be wasting peoples' time with unrealistic Reserves. They are the counterpart of pesky "lookie loos". Some may disagree, but the EBay deck is stacked to favor EBay, primarily(no surprise); and THEN the Seller, with their over the top hyperbole, "reserves" and ripoff shipping and handling fees, etc., etc. The buyer is just a mark at the far end of the pecking order. It seems as though the company firmly believes that the lowly buyer is an impulsive, emotional shop-o-holic with too much money, a refugee from late-nite HSN who just has a weakness for its' service; and it is operated according to several old adages: "There's a sucker born every minute", and "A fool and his money are easily parted". They give the buyer just enough benefit to keep them hanging on so the dollars flow in.
S'why I avoid EBay, anymore. It is my New Years' Resolution. Hopefully, they will have some competition one of these days......

wally
03-18-2008, 12:36 AM
Though EBAy is consistently the home of THE highest prices in the Universe for one mans junk, anothers' Treasure, it really is the Bling Bling Eye Candy Novelties like tachs, superchargers, chrome stuff, NOS R6 muffler belts, and emblems and other doo-dads that usually garner the insanely high prices. I figure it is causing problems by pulling swap meet prices upward, too. I have gone from really disliking EBay, to loathing it on account of that reason and the "improvements" they've implemented lately, such as hiding bidder id's, the way that the listing info pops up briefly and then disappears, etc. Too many smoke and mirrors slight of hand gimmicks. I also am toying with a theory that many sellers utilize shill bidders, and a few have even learned how to hack into EBay to manipulate it. Just Maybe. Another peeve is greedy sellers who want to have their cake and eat it in a so-called "Auction" environment with the safety net of "Reserves". Only the buyer assumes any risk, bidding on something sight unseen for cash over the internet! If a seller must have a certain price, then I believe they just should list it in a car trader magazine or Lemmings with their firm price, or at least have a Buy-it-now.. An "auction" on EBAy has the benefit of optimum exposure to the buying public, & gives buyers time to reconcile paying a higher than normal price. It is a sellers' dream. But, the reality of a real, bona fide auction is that the pool of willing buyers is what establishes the fair market value, NOT wishful thinking by the seller! They shouldn't be wasting peoples' time with unrealistic Reserves. They are the counterpart of pesky "lookie loos". Some may disagree, but the EBay deck is stacked to favor EBay, primarily(no surprise); and THEN the Seller, with their over the top hyperbole, "reserves" and ripoff shipping and handling fees, etc., etc. The buyer is just a mark at the far end of the pecking order. It seems as though the company firmly believes that the lowly buyer is an impulsive, emotional shop-o-holic with too much money, a refugee from late-nite HSN who just has a weakness for its' service; and it is operated according to several old adages: "There's a sucker born every minute", and "A fool and his money are easily parted". They give the buyer just enough benefit to keep them hanging on so the dollars flow in.
S'why I avoid EBay, anymore. It is my New Years' Resolution. Hopefully, they will have some competition one of these days......

JDP
03-18-2008, 09:01 AM
I do almost all my shopping online, and not just for Studebaker stuff, all the way to groceries. When possible, ebay is my first stop. Recently I saved money buying a printer cartridge, a hard drive, some new smoking pipes, and a pump for by degreasing tank.
It is a sellers dream, giving a individual world wide exposure to his sale and thus the best price. I've paid mad money for a item I had to have and probably will again. Yes, I pay too much on occasion, but I get the occasional bargain too.

JDP/Maryland
64 R2 GT (Sid)
spent to date $62,839.60
63 Daytona HT/4 speed
63 Lark 2 door
57 Wagon

JDP
03-18-2008, 09:01 AM
I do almost all my shopping online, and not just for Studebaker stuff, all the way to groceries. When possible, ebay is my first stop. Recently I saved money buying a printer cartridge, a hard drive, some new smoking pipes, and a pump for by degreasing tank.
It is a sellers dream, giving a individual world wide exposure to his sale and thus the best price. I've paid mad money for a item I had to have and probably will again. Yes, I pay too much on occasion, but I get the occasional bargain too.

JDP/Maryland
64 R2 GT (Sid)
spent to date $62,839.60
63 Daytona HT/4 speed
63 Lark 2 door
57 Wagon

jnewkirk77
03-18-2008, 09:35 AM
Same here, JDP. I've gotten a lot of good deals on eBay. We take a lot of photos with the digital cameras, so my mother bought me an Epson PictureMate photo printer for Christmas a couple years ago. I love it, and it's the one printer I've owned that actually does NOT use ink like it's free. I wanted the battery for it, and got one on eBay for $10, shipping included. Epson wanted $50 PLUS SHIPPING. Got some nice accessories for it on there, too, and I do need a new power cord, so I guess I'll be shopping some more for that.

Most of my Stude memorabilia has come from there as well. Brochures and so forth, mainly, but also a couple of other things ... and my Indiana license plate collection was completed by the 1913 and 1914 plates my wife bought on there as surprise anniversary and birthday presents. I searched 20 years for good ones, she finds 'em in 15 minutes online. Go figure.

Until recently, I was selling on eBay, too. Nothing to brag about, but I did OK. Moved a lot of license plates, some parts off a couple cars I had, computer stuff, and clothes the kids outgrew. I think the best I ever did was with the set of all 50 states' license plates plus D.C., or perhaps the complete set of '55 Mercury wheelcovers I inherited from Grandpa. He told me before he died, if I couldn't use 'em, "Find someone who can." Hello, eBay! I couldn't believe it, but they sold for $150. They were nice, but I was just flabbergasted.

Jacob Newkirk - Owensboro, KY

KEEP AMERICA BEAUTIFUL! Drive a Studebaker!

jnewkirk77
03-18-2008, 09:35 AM
Same here, JDP. I've gotten a lot of good deals on eBay. We take a lot of photos with the digital cameras, so my mother bought me an Epson PictureMate photo printer for Christmas a couple years ago. I love it, and it's the one printer I've owned that actually does NOT use ink like it's free. I wanted the battery for it, and got one on eBay for $10, shipping included. Epson wanted $50 PLUS SHIPPING. Got some nice accessories for it on there, too, and I do need a new power cord, so I guess I'll be shopping some more for that.

Most of my Stude memorabilia has come from there as well. Brochures and so forth, mainly, but also a couple of other things ... and my Indiana license plate collection was completed by the 1913 and 1914 plates my wife bought on there as surprise anniversary and birthday presents. I searched 20 years for good ones, she finds 'em in 15 minutes online. Go figure.

Until recently, I was selling on eBay, too. Nothing to brag about, but I did OK. Moved a lot of license plates, some parts off a couple cars I had, computer stuff, and clothes the kids outgrew. I think the best I ever did was with the set of all 50 states' license plates plus D.C., or perhaps the complete set of '55 Mercury wheelcovers I inherited from Grandpa. He told me before he died, if I couldn't use 'em, "Find someone who can." Hello, eBay! I couldn't believe it, but they sold for $150. They were nice, but I was just flabbergasted.

Jacob Newkirk - Owensboro, KY

KEEP AMERICA BEAUTIFUL! Drive a Studebaker!

Scott
03-18-2008, 09:39 AM
I DON'T want orphans to make "the big time". I'm already seeing common enough Studebakers selling for what I consider high prices. The allure of Studebaker for me has been in part because it's low-key fans. If Studebakers start commanding prices that the older big three cars do a few guys will get rich and it will discourage younger, less affluent people from getting into a Studebaker. I think this bodes very ill indeed.

Scott
03-18-2008, 09:39 AM
I DON'T want orphans to make "the big time". I'm already seeing common enough Studebakers selling for what I consider high prices. The allure of Studebaker for me has been in part because it's low-key fans. If Studebakers start commanding prices that the older big three cars do a few guys will get rich and it will discourage younger, less affluent people from getting into a Studebaker. I think this bodes very ill indeed.

Champ The Cat
03-19-2008, 11:05 AM
I occassionally sell Studebaker parts on Ebay and I can't help by reply to some of the comments made in this thread. First of all, I find Ebay to be a wonderful, convenient source--both for the buyer and the seller. Personally, as a seller, I resent someone suggesting the notion of me utilizing shill bidding. I'm sure it happens, but as a general rule I don't think the majority of sellers on Ebay take part in this activity. I have found nearly all of my dealings on Ebay (both buying and selling) have been very professional in nature and authentic. I have never questioned a transaction to be shady. As far as the option for a buyer to place a reserve on an item, I could take it or leave it. I almost always choose to put a reserve on an item, but I also pay to have that option. It's not so I can get an outlandish prices. It's merely so I can get what I need to get out of an item in order to cover what I have in it and still make a few dollars. I could just as easily start the opening bid at what I want out of the item, so what is really the difference? I just happen to opt for using a reserve. More often than not, what I sell brings more than the reserve anyway so I don't think I'm being unreasonable or trying to take advantage of anyone. It's really pretty simple from a buyer's standpoint. Bid up to what you think the product is worth and what you're willing to spend. What may be worth $10 to you, may be worth $100 to someone else. Shipping. I try to be as true to the cost of actual shipping as possible. Every seller is different in that respect, but so is every retailer you buy from whether it's Eddie Bauer, Sears, JC Penney, etc. As a buyer you just have to accept that you're going to have to be responsible for the shipping costs and perhaps some handling fees to cover the cost of the packaging materials. I can tell you I don't make money on shipping. And, to be truthful, there have been many occassions where I have miscalculated (in excess of $5) in favor of the buyer and I have eaten the costs. I have also miscalculated the other direction and in those cases have refunded the difference to my customer. You can find all the flaws you want with Ebay and the people who use it, but so can you with anything else. But, I can tell you, if I am needing something, particularly a Studebaker part, I would much rather spend more than it's really worth, than take 3 days off from work, drive across the country at $3 a gallon for gas, incur a couple nights' worth of hotel expenses, in order to go to a swap meet, by the chance (and often slight chance) that I'm going to find what I need. Not worth it in my book!

Champ The Cat
03-19-2008, 11:05 AM
I occassionally sell Studebaker parts on Ebay and I can't help by reply to some of the comments made in this thread. First of all, I find Ebay to be a wonderful, convenient source--both for the buyer and the seller. Personally, as a seller, I resent someone suggesting the notion of me utilizing shill bidding. I'm sure it happens, but as a general rule I don't think the majority of sellers on Ebay take part in this activity. I have found nearly all of my dealings on Ebay (both buying and selling) have been very professional in nature and authentic. I have never questioned a transaction to be shady. As far as the option for a buyer to place a reserve on an item, I could take it or leave it. I almost always choose to put a reserve on an item, but I also pay to have that option. It's not so I can get an outlandish prices. It's merely so I can get what I need to get out of an item in order to cover what I have in it and still make a few dollars. I could just as easily start the opening bid at what I want out of the item, so what is really the difference? I just happen to opt for using a reserve. More often than not, what I sell brings more than the reserve anyway so I don't think I'm being unreasonable or trying to take advantage of anyone. It's really pretty simple from a buyer's standpoint. Bid up to what you think the product is worth and what you're willing to spend. What may be worth $10 to you, may be worth $100 to someone else. Shipping. I try to be as true to the cost of actual shipping as possible. Every seller is different in that respect, but so is every retailer you buy from whether it's Eddie Bauer, Sears, JC Penney, etc. As a buyer you just have to accept that you're going to have to be responsible for the shipping costs and perhaps some handling fees to cover the cost of the packaging materials. I can tell you I don't make money on shipping. And, to be truthful, there have been many occassions where I have miscalculated (in excess of $5) in favor of the buyer and I have eaten the costs. I have also miscalculated the other direction and in those cases have refunded the difference to my customer. You can find all the flaws you want with Ebay and the people who use it, but so can you with anything else. But, I can tell you, if I am needing something, particularly a Studebaker part, I would much rather spend more than it's really worth, than take 3 days off from work, drive across the country at $3 a gallon for gas, incur a couple nights' worth of hotel expenses, in order to go to a swap meet, by the chance (and often slight chance) that I'm going to find what I need. Not worth it in my book!

65cruiser
03-19-2008, 02:06 PM
Just an FYI, I've found it better to put a high BIN on an item with the make an offer option, then set the make offer to reject any bids that I feel are too low.

I've done much better with auctions like this than with a reserve auction.

Mark Anderson
Member SDC and FMCA

65cruiser
03-19-2008, 02:06 PM
Just an FYI, I've found it better to put a high BIN on an item with the make an offer option, then set the make offer to reject any bids that I feel are too low.

I've done much better with auctions like this than with a reserve auction.

Mark Anderson
Member SDC and FMCA

JDP
03-19-2008, 03:15 PM
With cars and parts I need to use a reserve or risk selling below my cost. Several times I've not made reserve the first time, then went way over on the second.

JDP/Maryland
64 R2 GT (Sid)
spent to date $62,839.60
63 Daytona HT/4 speed
63 Lark 2 door

JDP
03-19-2008, 03:15 PM
With cars and parts I need to use a reserve or risk selling below my cost. Several times I've not made reserve the first time, then went way over on the second.

JDP/Maryland
64 R2 GT (Sid)
spent to date $62,839.60
63 Daytona HT/4 speed
63 Lark 2 door

Guido
03-19-2008, 07:44 PM
In addition to the high priced truck fuel gauge, a 1958 4x4 Transtar truck brochure just brought $310.58 on e-Bay. That is serious jack for a folding brochure.

http://www.autolit.net/Graphics/0308/wj8297.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330217690553&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com%3A80%2Fsearch%2Fsearch.dll%3Ffrom%3DR40%26_trksi d%3Dm37%26satitle%3D330217690553%26category0%3D%26fvi%3D1

http://thumb14.webshots.net/t/62/562/2/21/69/2353221690097493054hwathP_th.jpghttp://thumb14.webshots.net/t/60/460/3/91/1/2433391010097493054nAMBKh_th.jpghttp://thumb14.webshots.net/t/24/565/2/49/65/2603249650097493054XvpTUI_th.jpghttp://thumb14.webshots.net/t/64/564/6/89/77/2752689770097493054skXzAT_th.jpghttp://thumb14.webshots.net/t/22/22/0/2/68/2589002680097493054ftBuBw_th.jpghttp://thumb14.webshots.net/t/28/28/8/30/30/2075830300097493054aSSlFv_th.jpghttp://thumb14.webshots.net/t/24/565/5/22/8/2609522080097493054ZNRJeA_th.jpghttp://thumb14.webshots.net/t/69/169/4/66/56/2729466560097493054oBZsXT_th.jpg
Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn doctor’s buggy; Studebaker horse drawn “Izzer” buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures" (including a 1959 IH B-120 4 wheel drive, a 1970 Dodge W-200 Power Wagon and numerous Oliver and Cockshutt tractors).

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Guido
03-19-2008, 07:44 PM
In addition to the high priced truck fuel gauge, a 1958 4x4 Transtar truck brochure just brought $310.58 on e-Bay. That is serious jack for a folding brochure.

http://www.autolit.net/Graphics/0308/wj8297.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330217690553&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com%3A80%2Fsearch%2Fsearch.dll%3Ffrom%3DR40%26_trksi d%3Dm37%26satitle%3D330217690553%26category0%3D%26fvi%3D1

http://thumb14.webshots.net/t/62/562/2/21/69/2353221690097493054hwathP_th.jpghttp://thumb14.webshots.net/t/60/460/3/91/1/2433391010097493054nAMBKh_th.jpghttp://thumb14.webshots.net/t/24/565/2/49/65/2603249650097493054XvpTUI_th.jpghttp://thumb14.webshots.net/t/64/564/6/89/77/2752689770097493054skXzAT_th.jpghttp://thumb14.webshots.net/t/22/22/0/2/68/2589002680097493054ftBuBw_th.jpghttp://thumb14.webshots.net/t/28/28/8/30/30/2075830300097493054aSSlFv_th.jpghttp://thumb14.webshots.net/t/24/565/5/22/8/2609522080097493054ZNRJeA_th.jpghttp://thumb14.webshots.net/t/69/169/4/66/56/2729466560097493054oBZsXT_th.jpg
Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn doctor’s buggy; Studebaker horse drawn “Izzer” buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures" (including a 1959 IH B-120 4 wheel drive, a 1970 Dodge W-200 Power Wagon and numerous Oliver and Cockshutt tractors).

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

03-22-2008, 12:43 PM
The principle reason SOME things bring top dollar on eBay is that it was the first sales mechanism that has been able to put a few specialized buyers over an unlimited geographical area in competition for the same rare item. I can remember when I first discovered eBay putting together a list of items I could only dream of finding before the advent of eBay. Over the past ten years, I've pretty much exhausted that list. Although, there are still a few things that have not popped up in the listings. Evidently, there were at least two people who had been looking for that four wheel drive brochure for a long, long time.

One trick I've discovered with eBay is self discipline to NOT be the first winning bidder on an item I've never seen before. Other sellers seem to watch what is being sold at top dollar, and they are likely to list an identical item they've been holding on to soon after the first one listed sells for a very high price. With one other buyer for the item with his demand satisfied, the price is often lower in succeeding auctions. IF you are lucky enough that someone does have an identical item to sell. And that's a BIG if!

It took me over five years to buy a 1955 Studebaker showroom banner. I was knocked out of bidding in the early days of eBay as the prices exceeded $300 for nice examples, and no copycat listers fell in behind the first sale. At the end of 2007, in a series of auctions that seemed to follow my copycat lister scenerio, I ended up with a nice one for less than half of what the first ones I bid on ended up going for.

Kevin Wolford
Plymouth, IN

55 Champion
60 Lark VI Conv.
63 Avanti R1

03-22-2008, 12:43 PM
The principle reason SOME things bring top dollar on eBay is that it was the first sales mechanism that has been able to put a few specialized buyers over an unlimited geographical area in competition for the same rare item. I can remember when I first discovered eBay putting together a list of items I could only dream of finding before the advent of eBay. Over the past ten years, I've pretty much exhausted that list. Although, there are still a few things that have not popped up in the listings. Evidently, there were at least two people who had been looking for that four wheel drive brochure for a long, long time.

One trick I've discovered with eBay is self discipline to NOT be the first winning bidder on an item I've never seen before. Other sellers seem to watch what is being sold at top dollar, and they are likely to list an identical item they've been holding on to soon after the first one listed sells for a very high price. With one other buyer for the item with his demand satisfied, the price is often lower in succeeding auctions. IF you are lucky enough that someone does have an identical item to sell. And that's a BIG if!

It took me over five years to buy a 1955 Studebaker showroom banner. I was knocked out of bidding in the early days of eBay as the prices exceeded $300 for nice examples, and no copycat listers fell in behind the first sale. At the end of 2007, in a series of auctions that seemed to follow my copycat lister scenerio, I ended up with a nice one for less than half of what the first ones I bid on ended up going for.

Kevin Wolford
Plymouth, IN

55 Champion
60 Lark VI Conv.
63 Avanti R1

DEEPNHOCK
03-22-2008, 03:48 PM
Of interest is to always look at the 'reaction' of the Studenorm to prices on Ebay, or competing sales venues...
What did y'all expect????
[u]Cheap only lasts as long as the bold snap up the cheap deals.....</u>
Ask yourself....
Are you bold?
If not, are you 'upset'?....
I am happy to see Stude 'stuff' get it's day in the sun....
Anyone really want to 'play'???
Send me your offer on a certain 'Yellow POS'.....
As a pragmatist, and a realist..... I'll play the game...
Madness? Only to the timid...
Let's play hard...
Jeff[8D]

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j54/deepnhock/Jeff%20Rice%20Studebaker%20Pictures/1937StudebakerCoupeExpressJeffRicee.jpg
http://www.racingstudebakers.com/avatar_01.jpg

Deep-N-Hock Acres
Brooklet, Georgia
DEEPNHOCK at Gmail.com
'37 Coupe Express
'37 Coupe Express Trailer (project)
'61 Hawk (project: Ist Gen Owner - project)
Mysterious Project Z
http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

DEEPNHOCK
03-22-2008, 03:48 PM
Of interest is to always look at the 'reaction' of the Studenorm to prices on Ebay, or competing sales venues...
What did y'all expect????
[u]Cheap only lasts as long as the bold snap up the cheap deals.....</u>
Ask yourself....
Are you bold?
If not, are you 'upset'?....
I am happy to see Stude 'stuff' get it's day in the sun....
Anyone really want to 'play'???
Send me your offer on a certain 'Yellow POS'.....
As a pragmatist, and a realist..... I'll play the game...
Madness? Only to the timid...
Let's play hard...
Jeff[8D]

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j54/deepnhock/Jeff%20Rice%20Studebaker%20Pictures/1937StudebakerCoupeExpressJeffRicee.jpg
http://www.racingstudebakers.com/avatar_01.jpg

Deep-N-Hock Acres
Brooklet, Georgia
DEEPNHOCK at Gmail.com
'37 Coupe Express
'37 Coupe Express Trailer (project)
'61 Hawk (project: Ist Gen Owner - project)
Mysterious Project Z
http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock