62 Hawk Mileage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 62 Hawk Mileage

I have a 62 hawk that I would like to get better mileage from.
    It will get 18mpg at 60mph.17mpg at 65-70. However, at normal,in town, stop and go driving it only gets 12mpg.(No a/c going) In summer local driving, a/c on, 10mpg. The engine and transmission have both been rebuilt by a fine local mechanic. The car runs great, it just eats too much gas.

The set up
    289 bored 30 over, R-1+ cam, 4 barrel 500cfm edlebrock, adj vacuum advance, auto trans, 3.07 rear end, 21575R15 tires.
    I might try smaller tires to help the way low 3.07 rear end.(205/65/15) The cam can be changed back to stock. Any suggestions are welcome. Another question is what is the best mileage that I Might get?

Late last year, I found out that the Edelbrock 1403/1404 was calibrated for performance, not economy. It's not advertised in most ads, in that manner. When I emailed Edelbrock, they replied
    "Try a set of #1463 metering rods to lean it out
    about 4% or so".

Bob Johnstone
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

I know that simply changing the cam from a "stock" to an R-1, is detrimental to fuel economy. Change it back, and leave the rest alone.
      I remember that there was a 1957 Merc Wagon, called a "Turnpike Cruiser", that ran a 390 with a 3.07 rear end. It did pretty well, fuel wise, for a lead sled. Had second gear start, if I remember back that far. Mom and Dad had one, what a beast. Of course, with 8 kids, they needed something like that. But that is another story.

Comment

I'd say you are getting about as good as you can get. 289 cubic inches of old school V8 isn't going to act like a Honda Civic! The suggestions posted may help, but 1-2 MPG increase is probably all you can hope for no matter what you do.

I think the problem is, there are soooo many anecdotal stories floating around about old cars (even V8's) getting UNBELIEVABLE mileage...not just Studes. ANYTHING that Uncle Harry or Aunt Mildred's friend Jim owned "back in the day" was getting 30 MPG +. Yep, maybe once downhill with a tailwind, or with the tank not as filled at the end as at the start, or with an incorrect odometer...but realistically (IMHO) high teens is doing pretty durn good for your combo.

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

1. Lube everything, especially front and rear wheel bearings and driveshaft u-joints.
          2. Adjust the brakes for zero drag
          3. Keep the radial tires at about five PSI below the max rated pressure on the sidewall. It will ride a bit firm, but is the most cost-effective way to better fuel mileage.
          4. Have a pro check the front suspension alignment and all the steering gear for worn parts. Use the minimum spec for toe-in.
          5. Rather than changing jets and hoping for the best, spend $100 (less than two tanks of gas) on a chassis dyno session. This will give you exact readings of where you are in Air/Fuel ratios and where you need to go.
          6. Going to 2.88 or 2.56 rear gears will help the highway economy. This is about the same overall ratio as the T86 in overdrive. You can manually use the first gear start when you feel the need for speed.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
          PackardV8

Comment

Not sure this would be cost-effective if you have to pay for the labor to have this done, but I'd advise sending another cam core and lifter set to a regrinder, and have them reprofile it with less duration than the R1. Something like 200 degrees @ .050 lift.
            Changing the rear end to one with a numerically lower ratio should help. Your car will ride and drive smoother, too.

Comment

This is my ist reply and probably done erroniously. I bought Edlebrocks tweaking kit and tried several leaning combos but without success. A small stutter between 40-50 mph. Thanks for your sugesstion.
              fkn

Comment

fkn; just go to your 2nd. and fourth post and click the trash can when logged in, and you can delete those two useless posts. You also can click the icon with the pencil to revise a post, this system is very forgiving and easy to use once you understand it. Welcome aboard!

StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                X