OHV Champ engine needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OHV Champ engine needed

The engine gods have spoken again, it really appears that the machine shop did overshoot on the rebore. The combination of using a caliper (I know, but it's all I have) the loose piston fit with the shims and the excess ring gaps all indicate it's too big by a thousanth or two.

So I'm looking for either an OHV 6 block that will clean up at an .030" overbore, or a set of early Champ psitons and rings in a .040" overbore. Anybody have eitehr? Prefer engines or blocks near western NC.

Thanks!

Ron Dame
    '63 Champ
    Ron Dame
    '63 Champ

Ron,

I have one mated to an automatic transmission that I would be willing to part with. The frame was cut so it comes with the front wheels too. It is located 30 miles west of Richmond, Va. just off of I-64.

Gary

http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

Ron,

I have one mated to an automatic transmission that I would be willing to part with. The frame was cut so it comes with the front wheels too. It is located 30 miles west of Richmond, Va. just off of I-64.

Gary

Comment

Ron, have you taken the block back to the machine shop, and had them measure the bore, in your presence? I would definitely have it measured with quality tools before condemning it. If they did, in fact, bore it too large for the pistons provided, they should make it good by boring to the next usable oversize at their expense.

Or take the block to a competitor's shop, and have them mike the bores.

I sure wouldn't want to throw away the investment in that block simply on the basis of a feeler-gauge test of the piston fit.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Ron, have you taken the block back to the machine shop, and had them measure the bore, in your presence? I would definitely have it measured with quality tools before condemning it. If they did, in fact, bore it too large for the pistons provided, they should make it good by boring to the next usable oversize at their expense.

Or take the block to a competitor's shop, and have them mike the bores.

I sure wouldn't want to throw away the investment in that block simply on the basis of a feeler-gauge test of the piston fit.

Comment

The machine shop that did it is no longer in existence, It was hell getting my parts back too. The only good thing, is that there was no bill.

Ron Dame
            '63 Champ
            Ron Dame
            '63 Champ

Comment

The machine shop that did it is no longer in existence, It was hell getting my parts back too. The only good thing, is that there was no bill.

Ron Dame
              '63 Champ
              Ron Dame
              '63 Champ

Comment

Might work, any idea how the bores are? Is it a full flow or partial flow block?

quote:Originally posted by Guido

Ron,

Gary

Ron Dame
                '63 Champ
                Ron Dame
                '63 Champ

Comment

Might work, any idea how the bores are? Is it a full flow or partial flow block?

quote:Originally posted by Guido

Ron,

Gary

Ron Dame
                  '63 Champ
                  Ron Dame
                  '63 Champ

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Ron Dame

It is stored on a piece of property I own 30 miles from my house. I think it came out of a '63 Lark, but will check the next time there.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Ron Dame

It is stored on a piece of property I own 30 miles from my house. I think it came out of a '63 Lark, but will check the next time there.

Comment

I have an ohv block that will work. Where are you located?

DARE TO BE DIFFERENT...DRIVE YOUR STUDEY EVERY DAY!

Comment

I have an ohv block that will work. Where are you located?

DARE TO BE DIFFERENT...DRIVE YOUR STUDEY EVERY DAY!

Comment

I have 2 one was running when pulled, the other is a disassembled block. The 2nd one is a cloverleaf block out of a champ truck. the running engine is from a 64 challenger. I am in SE Ga. Let me know if you are interested. NT

Neil Thornton
                            Hazlehurst, GA
                            '57 Silver Hawk
                            '56 Sky Hawk
                            '51 2R16 dump truck
                            Many others.

Neil Thornton

Comment

I have 2 one was running when pulled, the other is a disassembled block. The 2nd one is a cloverleaf block out of a champ truck. the running engine is from a 64 challenger. I am in SE Ga. Let me know if you are interested. NT

Neil Thornton
                              Hazlehurst, GA
                              '57 Silver Hawk
                              '56 Sky Hawk
                              '51 2R16 dump truck
                              Many others.

Neil Thornton

Comment

Working...
                              X