55 Speedster Heater Blower Motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 55 Speedster Heater Blower Motor

Blower motor wasn't working so I took out the blower assembly, removed the motor and found three bare wires coming out of the motor housing - Not a Good Sign!. Probably shorted out at some point. I took apart the motor to see if I could repair/replace the wires and found some other problems with the motor. Besides the corrosion, the mounting brackets for the brushes had broken up, so the brushes could no longer be held firm. Does anyone know of a source for a replacement motor, replacement parts, or someone who can rebuild this one if replacements are not available? It's the original 6-volt positive ground 3-wire (2-speed) motor. Any help will be greatly appreciated, as it's starting to get a little chilly in the morning!

Mike with Speedster

Mike, I probably have one here. Used of course.

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Check SASCO via their website or call them. I believe they have them, about $50. They also auction on ebay (ebay name is dolsr) and they put up a 6 volt heater motor occasionally. I tried to buy it one time but it went higher than I wanted to offer.

There have also been at least 3-4 heater motors on ebay in the past 6-months, they just come up every so often...keep you eye open for them.

E. West
      "The Speedster Kid"
      Sunny Northern California
      Where the roads don't freeze over and the heat doesn't kill you.
      And an open road is yours to have -only during non-commute rush hours 9am-4pm and 7pm to 7am (Ha, ha, ha)
      Best Regards,
      Eric West
      "The Speedster Kid"
      Sunny Northern California
      Where the roads don't freeze over and the heat doesn't kill you.
      And an open road is yours to have -only during non-commute rush hours 9am-4pm and 7pm to 7am (Ha, ha, ha)
      55 Speedster "Lemon/Lime" (Beautiful)
      55 President State Sedan (Rusty original, but runs great and reliable)

Comment

If the other suggestions don't pan out, I should have one, condition unknown (removed from my '55 coupe, was not hooked up when I got the car, car was running 12V anyway)

nate

--
        55 Commander Starlight
        --
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Thanks for the offers guys. I decided to first look for a new one rather than a used one since these motors operate in a pretty tough environment and judging by the condition of my old one, I'd rather not take a chance on a used one. I found a new one at Stephen Allen and hopefully they have also sourced a new motor-to-blower gasket. So I should be good to go shortly. I checked the wiring and the circuit is good, so this should be an easy and not too expensive fix.

As a follow-up on some of my other problems that I posted earlier: my "fast" turn signal was a bad bulb, my "vapor lock" related problem was an upside down heat riser valve (probably installed that way when I had the exhaust replaced shortly after I bought the car), had the generator rebuilt and my charging/electrical problems are gone. I have found that most problems are related to things just being dirty, and cleaning them up gets things working as they should. Even repairing/replacing worn parts is alot easier than most other cars I've worked on, even when they haven't been touched in years! Every time I work in this car I'm impressed with the quality and the advanced design for the time.

Thanks again for your help.

Mike with Speedster

Mike S.

Comment

Working...
          X