Interior questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior questions

When I started my '53, it (unfortunately) came missing most of its interior bits. While I have found most, I do have a pair of questions.

1) I have come across these trim pieces, and have no idea where they go. They're about a foot long, and look like this:

Anyone?

2) There was no interior lighting at all, so I'm clueless (and honest, right?) about the number and location of interior lights. While I've come across these lights in searches, I've not found where they are located, and whether there are two as opposed to one.

'53 Commander
    '53 Commander
    Art Morrison chassis
    LS6 ASA/4L60E

Trim is for the top of rear quarter trim panel, right under the window's inside. One dome light is on the driver side of the headliner.

JDP/Maryland
    64 R2 GT (Sid)
    spent to date $62,839.60
    63 Daytona HT/4 speed
    63 Lark 2 door
    57 Wagon

JDP Maryland

Comment

Trim is for the top of rear quarter trim panel, right under the window's inside. One dome light is on the driver side of the headliner.

JDP/Maryland
      64 R2 GT (Sid)
      spent to date $62,839.60
      63 Daytona HT/4 speed
      63 Lark 2 door
      57 Wagon

JDP Maryland

Comment

Maybe there are different trim packages? This doesn't look like a natural fit, and there aren't any holes in the bodywork that are close to this. Is this roughly in the right location, or do I have it all fouled up?

Thanks very much for your help.

'53 Commander
        '53 Commander
        Art Morrison chassis
        LS6 ASA/4L60E

Comment

Maybe there are different trim packages? This doesn't look like a natural fit, and there aren't any holes in the bodywork that are close to this. Is this roughly in the right location, or do I have it all fouled up?

Thanks very much for your help.

'53 Commander
          '53 Commander
          Art Morrison chassis
          LS6 ASA/4L60E

Comment

Those stainless pcs are for a hardtop (K body) and it looks like you have a coupe (C body). Your car has swing out rear windows, the hardtop they roll down into the body. I am not sure but there may be a different stainless strip used in the sorta same place on the coupe that covers the joint between the bottom of the headliner and top of the side panel. Maybe someone has a interior photo of each style?

Here is the interior of my '53 hardtop. The pcs you have are the strip that runs under the roll down rear window. Its acts like a window sill. The thinner pc that goes rearward from there to the rear seat cushion is longer.

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

Those stainless pcs are for a hardtop (K body) and it looks like you have a coupe (C body). Your car has swing out rear windows, the hardtop they roll down into the body. I am not sure but there may be a different stainless strip used in the sorta same place on the coupe that covers the joint between the bottom of the headliner and top of the side panel. Maybe someone has a interior photo of each style?

Here is the interior of my '53 hardtop. The pcs you have are the strip that runs under the roll down rear window. Its acts like a window sill. The thinner pc that goes rearward from there to the rear seat cushion is longer.

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

One dome light is on the driver side of the headliner.

[/quote]

Also, I think most had an underdash light...just to the driver's side of center. It came on with the door switch, but there is also a toggle switch attached to it so that you could use it separately (map light).

Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Comment

One dome light is on the driver side of the headliner.

[/quote]

Also, I think most had an underdash light...just to the driver's side of center. It came on with the door switch, but there is also a toggle switch attached to it so that you could use it separately (map light).

Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

Anybody need a couple of K body trim strips (new, in the bag)?

'53 Commander
                    '53 Commander
                    Art Morrison chassis
                    LS6 ASA/4L60E

Comment

Anybody need a couple of K body trim strips (new, in the bag)?

'53 Commander
                      '53 Commander
                      Art Morrison chassis
                      LS6 ASA/4L60E

Comment

Jim,
                        Yours is definitely a Coupe. The trim panel doesn't look correct either, unless you've got it in at an odd angle. The headliner must be installed before those trim panels. The '53 Coupe does not have a dome light; only an underdash map light.

In my '53 Coupe, there are three small trim pieces that separate the headliner from the quarter trim. They are about a half inch wide, painted the same color as the dash and are friction fit behind the quarter window garnish molding and the rear window rubber and between the garnish molding and the front door windlace.

Oh! And, your pictures are huge! They about gave my poor old dial-up apoplexy.[:0] Can you resize them to about 4x6 @ 72dpi? 100K would be nice.

Brad Johnson
                        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
                        Brad Johnson,
                        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Jim,
                          Yours is definitely a Coupe. The trim panel doesn't look correct either, unless you've got it in at an odd angle. The headliner must be installed before those trim panels. The '53 Coupe does not have a dome light; only an underdash map light.

In my '53 Coupe, there are three small trim pieces that separate the headliner from the quarter trim. They are about a half inch wide, painted the same color as the dash and are friction fit behind the quarter window garnish molding and the rear window rubber and between the garnish molding and the front door windlace.

Oh! And, your pictures are huge! They about gave my poor old dial-up apoplexy.[:0] Can you resize them to about 4x6 @ 72dpi? 100K would be nice.

Brad Johnson
                          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
                          Brad Johnson,
                          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

All, I apologize for the size of the pictures; everything I've done so far to resize them somehow does not survive the "publish to the web" process.

Brad, Thanks so much for the interior picture--now I see what I need; I don't have those bits. Thankfully, I got the windshield and rear window surrounds from Steve Allen before his change in circumstances.
                            My interior panel is at an odd angle, as it's just laid up against the body for a very rough mock-up.
                            Unfortunately, I'm now in the hunt for those interior bits and a better view of what I might be missing, so if anyone has links to good interior shots for this '53 2-door, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks so much for all who have commented, it's been a huge help as I try to get this old bird back on the road.

'53 Commander
                            '53 Commander
                            Art Morrison chassis
                            LS6 ASA/4L60E

Comment

All, I apologize for the size of the pictures; everything I've done so far to resize them somehow does not survive the "publish to the web" process.

Brad, Thanks so much for the interior picture--now I see what I need; I don't have those bits. Thankfully, I got the windshield and rear window surrounds from Steve Allen before his change in circumstances.
                              My interior panel is at an odd angle, as it's just laid up against the body for a very rough mock-up.
                              Unfortunately, I'm now in the hunt for those interior bits and a better view of what I might be missing, so if anyone has links to good interior shots for this '53 2-door, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks so much for all who have commented, it's been a huge help as I try to get this old bird back on the road.

'53 Commander
                              '53 Commander
                              Art Morrison chassis
                              LS6 ASA/4L60E

Comment

Working...
                              X