Oil Filter, inlet &outlet diagram

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Filter, inlet &outlet diagram

RE: my 3/11/08 post "bypass oil filter" ( Silver Hawk, 57H-C3,289)
    I have scoured the shop manual but cannot find a photo of where the inlet/outlet tubes or pipes to the oil filter mtg. base plate attach.
    Mine has a small (about .125" OD) tube running from the crankcase filler pipe over to the cylinder head. Per the manual, the inlet pipe connects to the cylinder head, and outlet pipe returns oil to the crankcase filler tube. It appears that the existing tube was incorrectly routed from filler tube to cyl. head, and other line omitted. Does anyone have a photo or in-depth verbal description of the correct installation they can share with me ? I will fabricate new line(s) if no Studebaker part(s) exists.

Again, Thanks to all for your assistance.

Dennis Maxfield ( Boomer)
    Lancaster,CA
    1957 Silver Hawk (finless)

SI lists flexible lines for the operation but someone else will need to help you with which orifice goes where.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

SI lists flexible lines for the operation but someone else will need to help you with which orifice goes where.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

There is (should be) a 1/8 NPT hole in the front (top) of the left hand(drivers) head. It may have a plug in it. Part No. 530918 (either SASCO or SI has it) goes in this hole. it is a restriction for the oil flow. Into that screws one end of the 1/8 in pipe that goes to the middle of the oil filter housing. There is another fitting on the bottom of the housing, another 1/8 in pipe screws into this fitting and goes somehow back into the crankcase. Mine goes to a tapped hole on the oil filler tube.

If this isn't clear enough, write me offline and I'll try to do better.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Bothcars4.jpg[/img=left]
        Tom Bredehoft
        '53 Commander Coupe
        '55 President State Sedan
        (Under Construction) 134 hrs.
        '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
        All Indiana built cars

Comment

There is (should be) a 1/8 NPT hole in the front (top) of the left hand(drivers) head. It may have a plug in it. Part No. 530918 (either SASCO or SI has it) goes in this hole. it is a restriction for the oil flow. Into that screws one end of the 1/8 in pipe that goes to the middle of the oil filter housing. There is another fitting on the bottom of the housing, another 1/8 in pipe screws into this fitting and goes somehow back into the crankcase. Mine goes to a tapped hole on the oil filler tube.

Tom Bredehoft
          '53 Commander Coupe
          '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
          All Indiana built cars

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by Tom B

Tom Bredehoft
            '53 Commander Coupe
            '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
            All Indiana built cars

Tom, that should be all the data I need. Thank you !

Lancaster,CA

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by Tom B

Tom Bredehoft
              '53 Commander Coupe
              '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
              All Indiana built cars

Tom, that should be all the data I need. Thank you !

Lancaster,CA

Comment

Working...
              X